Is Jesus the only path to God or Heaven?

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unfortunately for Orthodox folks, they and their leaders do not get to un-dogmatize that which Jesus has made dogmatic. "No one comes to Father but by me" is pretty dogmatic.

Actually, the N.T. is rife with this particular dogmatism. Just look at every place where Jesus says something like, you do not know the Father so you do not know me or you do not believe me, because I came from the Father, whom you do not know, etc. John frequently says, if you don't have the Son, you don't have the Father, and such like.

In fact, the exclusivism of the way of God is a theme of the Bible. For instance, at one time you could only be saved from the wrath of God if you worshipped Noah's God, and got into Noah's ark, or at a later time, if you worshipped Israel's God, etc.

I think the general idea is that it is for God to judge and not us.

Reactions: Korah
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No one in this thread that I have read is judging any particular individual.

However, God does judge and he has committed all judgement to the Son.

The Son has revealed that no one can come to God except coming through the Son. Anyone who refuses Jesus Christ refuses the Father also.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm looking for specific verses, besides John 14:6, which say that Jesus is exclusively the only way to God or Heaven.

Mat 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've not been in heaven and I've had / do have salvation.

Salvation has past and present and future aspects.

I was saved April 6, 1972. I am being saved today. I will be saved by the parousia of Christ.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Although Jesus says it is only through him how much does the "sinner" need to be aware of this. Can someone be saved without knowing where their salvation has come from? Can a Muslim or Jew be saved by seeking God in sincerity in how they understand him without fore knowledge of who is saving them?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Dialogist. Yes, Jesus is the only path to God, and Jesus gave us good advice to love and follow Him.
In Luke 10: 25-28: Jesus is asked: " Master, what must I do to have eternal life?" Jesus answered: " you read in Matthew 22: 35-40: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 14, we can read: " on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Do this and you shall live. God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters.
That is easy to understand and straightforward. In Matthew 7: 7-10:we read: " ask and you shall receive, then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. We keep asking for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. God sees our loving
efforts, and God does approve and bless us.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again." We change from being selfish and unloving, to be loving and kind and caring. The Holy spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
We will find that people treat us the same as we treat people, there will be much loving and caring. A Christian`s weapon is Love, and with love we will overcome all anger and bad behaviour, Love is very catching.
I say this with love, Dialogist. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Although Jesus says it is only through him how much does the "sinner" need to be aware of this. Can someone be saved without knowing where their salvation has come from? Can a Muslim or Jew be saved by seeking God in sincerity in how they understand him without fore knowledge of who is saving them?
Let me see if I understand you...

Since Jesus said a rebirth is needed in order to see God's kingdom, are you saying there may be born-again Muslims who do not know Christ?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me see if I understand you...

Since Jesus said a rebirth is needed in order to see God's kingdom, are you saying there may be born-again Muslims who do not know Christ?
No I'm not saying that at all... I'm asking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm looking for specific verses, besides John 14:6, which say that Jesus is exclusively the only way to God or Heaven.

Acts 4:12

John 6.

Jesus is the only way - however that does not mean that those who are saved know that this is how it is happening.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
I think the general idea is that it is for God to judge and not us.
It's not a judgment call if we are quoting the Word of God. We're not judging who gets in Heaven we are quoting the book that says by whom are we reconciled to God and get into Heaven. And it's by Jesus. "No one gets to the Father except through the Son."

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
If we are speaking to those under the old covenant, they were unaware. If we are speaking to those now under the new covenant, we need to be aware.
He who believe in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."-John 3:18​

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"No one gets to the Father except through the Son."

An interesting rendering. Forgive me for saying this, but it makes Jesus sound like the Father's bodyguard.

But I agree with what you cite from Scripture: No man cometh unto the Father, but by me (John 14:6)

In fact, the Lord goes into great detail as to how exactly He will determine who will come unto the Father and who will not (Matthew 25:32-46):

And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And He shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, 'Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave Me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto Me.'

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, 'Lord, when saw we Thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave Thee drink? When saw we Thee a stranger, and took Thee in? or naked, and clothed Thee? Or when saw we Thee sick, or in prison, and came unto Thee?'

And the King shall answer and say unto them, 'Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.'

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave Me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me not in: naked, and ye clothed Me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited Me not.'

Then shall they also answer him, saying, 'Lord, when saw we Thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto Thee?'

Then shall he answer them, saying, 'Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to Me.'

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
He also makes clear that much more will be expected of Christians than of non-Christians:

And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more (Luke 12:47-48)
For, as He says, Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven (Matthew 7:21).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If we are speaking to those under the old covenant, they were unaware. If we are speaking to those now under the new covenant, we need to be aware.
He who believe in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."-John 3:18​

You first need to opportunity to believe before you can accept or reject it. Not everyone gets that opportunity but still seek God earnestly. You might not be able to say they believe but you also can't fairly say they do not believe.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
You first need to opportunity to believe before you can accept or reject it. Not everyone gets that opportunity but still seek God earnestly. You might not be able to say they believe but you also can't fairly say they do not believe.
God took care of John 3:18 by Matthew 28:18-20 and Acts 17:22-32. Jesus was the one who spoke John 3:18 and God made the provision so that it is possible that we all may know Him by putting each of us in the correct time and place to grope for Him. So, I am going to put my trust in Him that He knew what He said and meant when His Son said John 3:18.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God took care of John 3:18 by Matthew 28:18-20 and Acts 17:22-32. Jesus was the one who spoke John 3:18 and God made the provision so that it is possible that we all may know Him by putting each of us in the correct time and place to grope for Him. So, I am going to put my trust in Him that He knew what He said and meant when His Son said John 3:18.
What does said provision look like? Is it a fully understood articulated gospel or can you encounter God without actually knowing what it is you encountered yet still respond.

We all lack understanding and what God revels to us is always contextualised because we all know only in part. Some choose to bury their 1 talent where others still are able to do remarkable things with the little they start with. Those are the upper and lower bounds but there are many middle areas. At which point does salvation happen?

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
What does said provision look like? Is it a fully understood articulated gospel or can you encounter God without actually knowing what it is you encountered yet still respond.

We all lack understanding and what God revels to us is always contextualised because we all know only in part. Some choose to bury their 1 talent where others still are able to do remarkable things with the little they start with. Those are the upper and lower bounds but there are many middle areas. At which point does salvation happen?
Did you read Acts 17:22-28? That is what it looks like.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you read Acts 17:22-28? That is what it looks like.
Acts 17:22-28 is Paul talking to idol worshippers. Paul does talk about their "unknown god" and uses that for a contextual message to share the gospel. Not quite what I'm talking about.

Paul does confirm in this text that we all instinctively seek God but doesn't give us insight on those who seek and find but still have not heard the gospel message.

Arguably they know Jesus even if they can't articulated it. But if there is no scripture and no message then what is their faith and in its limits and infancy is it salvation? A rhetoric question at best since only God can answer it but still open to discussion.

Upvote 0