Is Jesus the only path to God or Heaven?

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There may be others, but we just talked about this one in church.

Acts 4:12
"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Upvote 0

DonnyT

Sep 1, 2009
✟8,272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

It says Jesus is the only way to salvation, but not necessarily God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm looking for specific verses, besides John 14:6, which say that Jesus is exclusively the only way to God or Heaven.

Acts 4:12 -
12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm looking for specific verses, besides John 14:6, which say that Jesus is exclusively the only way to God or Heaven.

12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

It says Jesus is the only way to salvation, but not necessarily God.

Define salvation if it is not reconciliation with God?

2Cor 5 "God was in Christ reconciling the World to Himself... we beg you on behalf of Christ - BE reconciled to God".

John 6 "No one comes to the Father - but by Me".

Upvote 0

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Good verse!espically those who are trusting in a church for salvation (ie mormons)

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

DonnyT said in post 1:

(Also besides Acts 4:12)

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The scriptures which give the answer are obvious. However the truth that we find within our self as we follow the Lord is far more enlightening and wonderful. "Seek and you will find", as Christ has said. In other words, follow the path Christ has given to us and you will see for yourself, and then you will know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Only if you are a Christian..........and that includes for the Jews, Muslims and other religions........

Matthew 17:5
Still of-Him speaking, behold! a luminous cloud over shadows them
and behold! a Voice out of the cloud saying "this is the Son of Me, the Beloved, in whom I delight, be ye hearing Him!".
[Deut 28/Acts 3:22/Revelation 2:18]

Thyatira is the 4th Assembly in Revelation and the one place where Jesus actually proclaims Himself as "Son of God". This being after His ascension in Acts I suppose?

Revelation 2:18 And to the messenger of the assembly in Thyatira, write!
Now this is saying the Son of the GOD, the One having the eyes of Him as flame of fire, and the feet of Him as to burnished-brass.

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/Revelation/rev46.htm

Part 46
THE CHURCH IN THYATIRA
“And by the angel of the church in Thyatira write…” (Rev. 2:18).

The church in Thyatira has a longer message delivered to it from Jesus Christ than any of the seven churches, although it is interesting to note that the church there is the smallest of the seven, and the city of Thyatira is the smallest of the seven cities. Thyatira was a small city, but it was the gateway into the larger metropolis of Pergamos, the capital of Asia. Thyatira was located on a trade route that led right in to Pergamos............................

Thyatira means “sweet perfume of sacrifice” and when you study this word it speaks of a perfume that sends forth its fragrance as the result of bruising, crushing, or breaking.............

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ironically, although Orthodox Christians are most stubborn on issues of dogma, there is no hard dogma on "who gets into heaven." I'm not sure of the proper theological answer for this, but I believe it is along the lines of not judging others. I have also heard it explained that we will be judged according to the Gospel as we have received it. This is actually kind of scary, because it places a much heavier burden on Christians.

Upvote 0

Berean777

Servant of Christ Jesus. Stellar Son.
Feb 12, 2014
✟22,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The path to God is to be adopted into his family through the Son. It is written kiss the Son. The way that a person knows that he has been saved is clearly declared by Jesus.

John 14:21
Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."

Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ is the only path to God because He redeemed us from the consequences of sin uniting in Him both human nature and divine nature, saving us and reconciliating us with God. It is only through Him that we can achieve divinization and we can return to communion with God.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus Christ is the only path to God because He redeemed us from the consequences of sin uniting in Him both human nature and divine nature, saving us and reconciliating us with God. It is only through Him that we can achieve divinization and we can return to communion with God.

Not to sidetrack this interesting thread, but what do you mean by "divinization"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not to sidetrack this interesting thread, but what do you mean by "divinization"?
In Eastern Orthodoxy deification (theosis) is a transformative process whose goal is likeness to or union with God. As a process of transformation, theosis is brought about by the effects of katharsis (purification of mind and body) and theoria. According to Eastern Orthodox teaching, theosis is very much the purpose of human life. It is considered achievable only through a synergy (or cooperation) between human activity and God's uncreated energies (or operations).

According to Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, the primacy of theosis in Orthodox theology is directly related to the fact that Orthodox theology (as historically conceived by its principal exponents) is based to a greater extent than Western Catholic Latin theology on the direct spiritual insights of the saints or mystics of the church rather than the apparently more rational thought tradition of the West. Eastern Orthodox consider that "no one who does not follow the path of union with God can be a theologian".

Theology in Eastern Orthodoxy is not treated as an academic pursuit. Instead it is based on revelation (see gnosiology), meaning that Orthodox theology and its theologians are validated by ascetic pursuits rather than academic degrees (i.e. scholasticism).

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In Eastern Orthodoxy deification (theosis) is a transformative process whose goal is likeness to or union with God. As a process of transformation, theosis is brought about by the effects of katharsis (purification of mind and body) and theoria. According to Eastern Orthodox teaching, theosis is very much the purpose of human life. It is considered achievable only through a synergy (or cooperation) between human activity and God's uncreated energies (or operations).

According to Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, the primacy of theosis in Orthodox theology is directly related to the fact that Orthodox theology (as historically conceived by its principal exponents) is based to a greater extent than Western Catholic Latin theology on the direct spiritual insights of the saints or mystics of the church rather than the apparently more rational thought tradition of the West. Eastern Orthodox consider that "no one who does not follow the path of union with God can be a theologian".

Theology in Eastern Orthodoxy is not treated as an academic pursuit. Instead it is based on revelation (see gnosiology), meaning that Orthodox theology and its theologians are validated by ascetic pursuits rather than academic degrees (i.e. scholasticism).

Thank you.

Upvote 0

cedric1200

Jesus is King
Sep 6, 2014
Colville, WA
✟16,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yeah, what he said

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ironically, although Orthodox Christians are most stubborn on issues of dogma, there is no hard dogma on "who gets into heaven." I'm not sure of the proper theological answer for this, but I believe it is along the lines of not judging others. I have also heard it explained that we will be judged according to the Gospel as we have received it. This is actually kind of scary, because it places a much heavier burden on Christians.
Unfortunately for Orthodox folks, they and their leaders do not get to un-dogmatize that which Jesus has made dogmatic. "No one comes to Father but by me" is pretty dogmatic.

Actually, the N.T. is rife with this particular dogmatism. Just look at every place where Jesus says something like, you do not know the Father so you do not know me or you do not believe me, because I came from the Father, whom you do not know, etc. John frequently says, if you don't have the Son, you don't have the Father, and such like.

In fact, the exclusivism of the way of God is a theme of the Bible. For instance, at one time you could only be saved from the wrath of God if you worshipped Noah's God, and got into Noah's ark, or at a later time, if you worshipped Israel's God, etc.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0