Oct 7, 2014
✟456,908.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Is Jesus God or is He the son of God? This question has been asked recently and the quesion is loaded. A Jew I would expect would say no.

One of the issues here is past, present and future tense; was Jesus Elohim, I would say yes; was Jesus Jehovah, I do not know; was Jesus God when He walked the earth, His name was God with us; and He did raise himself from the dead; since His resurrection Jesus has a new name.

I do not know what the people who ask this question are actually asking. The word God is a title or rank, not different in nature to Lord, Prince, King, or Captain; if the word God is defined differently in scripture then that definition would be for a unique personality. Jehovah is a proper name with a unique meaning, it is not a title; Allah is a meaningful name not a title; Allah does not mean Jehovah.

When God became man His name changed as well as His title; He was not called God of the Jews but was called King of the Jews; Jesus now has a new name but His title is still king.

With the name, "God with us" I am not sure if this refers to Jehovah, Adonay or Elohim.

With "the Lord thy God" Lord could be Jehovah or Adonay and God is Elohim.

When we say God what do we mean; are our perceptions of God Biblical?

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Ya he is. He even has the ability to receive worship, and have that be a good thing.

Before Jesus was Jesus, he was called The Word. The Word, The Father, and The Holy Spirit, made the Cosmos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is Jesus God or is He the son of God? This question has been asked recently and the quesion is loaded. A Jew I would expect would say no.

One of the issues here is past, present and future tense; was Jesus Elohim, I would say yes; was Jesus Jehovah, I do not know; was Jesus God when He walked the earth, His name was God with us; and He did raise himself from the dead; since His resurrection Jesus has a new name.

I do not know what the people who ask this question are actually asking. The word God is a title or rank, not different in nature to Lord, Prince, King, or Captain; if the word God is defined differently in scripture then that definition would be for a unique personality. Jehovah is a proper name with a unique meaning, it is not a title; Allah is a meaningful name not a title; Allah does not mean Jehovah.

When God became man His name changed as well as His title; He was not called God of the Jews but was called King of the Jews; Jesus now has a new name but His title is still king.

With the name, "God with us" I am not sure if this refers to Jehovah, Adonay or Elohim.

Isaiah 9:6 NRSV
For a child has been born for us,
a son given to us;
authority rests upon his shoulders;
and he is named
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.​

Upvote 0

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟456,908.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 9:6 NRSV
For a child has been born for us,
a son given to us;
authority rests upon his shoulders;
and he is named
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.​

What I would like to see is a definition for a specific God; regarding "Mighty God", Strong's number 410 implies strength but could be any deity. Also regarding, "Everlasting Father", according to Strong, father is with small f and the Hebrew word also means chief, and principal; once again not identifying a specifically established God; the Ten Commandments identify a specific God and the fourth Commandment contains the four elements of a Kings seal; His Name, His title, His domain and I cannot remember the fourth element. Can it be established as a certainty that Jesus was the God that gave Moses the Ten Commandments?

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
What I would like to see is a definition for a specific God; regarding "Mighty God", Strong's number 410 implies strength but could be any deity. Also regarding, "Everlasting Father", according to Strong, father is with small f and the Hebrew word also means chief, and principal; once again not identifying a specifically established God; the Ten Commandments identify a specific God and the fourth Commandment contains the four elements of a Kings seal; His Name, His title, His domain and I cannot remember the fourth element. Can it be established as a certainty that Jesus was the God that gave Moses the Ten Commandments?

ken777's quote goes as far as to say Jesus is the Father.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I would like to see is a definition for a specific God; regarding "Mighty God", Strong's number 410 implies strength but could be any deity.
Isaiah uses "gibbowr el" (mighty God) in Isaiah 9:6 and Isaiah 10:21. In the second it is clearly a reference to the God of Jacob.

Also regarding, "Everlasting Father", according to Strong, father is with small f and the Hebrew word also means chief, and principal; once again not identifying a specifically established God;
The combination of "everlasting" and "father" in a compound word (abi-ad) seems to indicate that God (Jehovah) is meant.
Isaiah 57:15 uses "ad" for "eternity" (KJV).

Can it be established as a certainty that Jesus was the God that gave Moses the Ten Commandments?
John 8:58 with Exodus 3:14 seems to establish that Jesus was the God that gave Moses the Ten Commandments.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ubuntu
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Yes, God the Father has divine children who are then the Fathers and creators of their children.

In effect, we are the grandchildren of God the Father.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Glad this is out on controversial Christian thread because there are some really heretical claims here.

I recommend studying Christology.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/defenders-2-podcast/s6

That series of podcasts will survey the various views and how they were both defended and defeated as heretical.

Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Father are YHWY in scripture. They are three persons the compose one God (shema).

They have different personal,attributes (only Jesus has a body)

It is not one person who keeps changing modes! "In the OT Jesus was the father" is a heresy known as modalism.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, God the Father has divine children who are then the Fathers and creators of their children.

In effect, we are the grandchildren of God the Father.
This is Mormonism! Not Christian. Jesus is the second person of the trinity and is eternal, not made, not created. The sonship language does not have to do with procreation to the NT writers or Early Church theologians.

• Agree
Reactions: JoeP222w
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ken777's quote goes as far as to say Jesus is the Father.
Jesus is YHWY
Father is YHWY
HS is YHWY
But Jesus is not the Father.

Who is Jesus praying to in the garden when he says "Father, not my will but yours be done?"

Tow separate persons that have all the essential attributes of YHWY (divinity) but are not the same person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This is Mormonism! Not Christian. Jesus is the second person of the trinity and is eternal, not made, not created. The sonship language does not have to do with procreation to the NT writers or Early Church theologians.
Is it Mormon? Mormons' are also Christian. Jesus is a Son of God, he has a Father.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A Christ-ian is simply one who believes Jesus is the Christ. There are tens of thousands of Christian denominations.
It is a little more complicated than that.

Creedal Christians hold to the early church creeds.

Nicene Creed -325 CE
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;

They don't believe that Jesus is eternal and "not made."

They don't believe in the trinity.

They don't believe in original sin.

They believe Lucifer was Jesus brother and the two fought over would be the messianic savior, Jesus one.

We all lived together on a preexisting spirit-world.

There is no hell just four places one will live based on how they lived this life.

There was no Christian church from the time Jesus died until Joseph Smith.

They don't pray to Jesus at all, ever.

I could go on but they are not even close to Christian in their worldview.

But they don't drink (not even iced tea), or chew, or run with those who do. Add they dress up for temple, so they must be doing something right. Just kidding they are a cult group, plain and simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟456,908.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah uses "gibbowr el" (mighty God) in Isaiah 9:6 and Isaiah 10:21. In the second it is clearly a reference to the God of Jacob.

The combination of "everlasting" and "father" in a compound word (abi-ad) seems to indicate that God (Jehovah) is meant.
Isaiah 57:15 uses "ad" for "eternity" (KJV).

John 8:58 with Exodus 3:14 seems to establish that Jesus was the God that gave Moses the Ten Commandments.

I was asked the question by someone who thought I was a Jew; When I answered, yes Jesus is God, I realised that I didn't know what I was talking about. So I continue to ask questions hoping to get closer to the truth. I really don't think there is a biblical answer to my question, but there is something to search for and that is what I am doing.

I don't want to get into the trinity and that wouldn't solve the problem. When we say God with a capital G we think we know what we are talking about but how is God different to Allah.

God is spirit, Jesus was flesh and blood; Jesus is the first born into the kingdom of God but the kingdom of God was already populated because Jesus said John was less than any already there.

If we look at Nimrod and his family we see close to a mirror image of Christ and His family, how do we tell the difference? Nimrod's religion is make believe and Christ is truth; so we are left with the truth verses the lie.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When I answered, yes Jesus is God, I realised that I didn't know what I was talking about. So I continue to ask questions hoping to get closer to the truth.
Some of the rest of your questions are like strange fire (comparing YHWH to any other thing).

YHWH and Y'SHUA are echad.
That alone is sufficient to answer your main question (it seems).
YHWH and Y'SHUA always have been and always will be echad ("ONE" in english, though not often realized or understood, even in Hebrew)

Upvote 0