Phillip7475

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have been a gamer since the early nineties. I have been looking forward to playing a new game called Diablo 3 which hopefully will be released this year, maybe next.
The game is about good V evil and requires a lot of fighting and killing of evil monsters.
Whilst I know I’m not breaking any biblical laws by playing, do you think its “bad” for the soul to be playing such games?

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Caveat: This is my $0.02 based on my experiences and interpetations as a christian. This is not gospel.

I'm going to be really helpful and say: It depends.

I will say I have played and are a fan of Diablo 1 and 2. Since the grand 'moral' of the game is Good vs Evil and Good wins, I don't think it's going to send you to hell for playing it. But if you can't seperate the game from reality, or begin putting the game before god, or idolizing it, then it is an issue. But that can be said for virtually all forms of entertainment, tv, movies, books, sports, etc.

But if you're feeling 'heartburn' about it, I think that's probably your best indicator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Liquid_Hacim

Apr 9, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly how i feel. I believe it is ok, just do not let it interfere with your connection from god, if you cant sleep at night because your afraid of diablo about to own a lvl 20 noob..... i suggest you help him lol. jk. i do find it fine to be honest, im going to pick the game up day 1.

Upvote 0

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One sec. I will review the game images.

If the enemies are disgusting, then the game is bad for your body, soul, and spirit.
What do you mean by disgusting?

1 Thessalonians 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edit:

Yes, this will harm you. Do not play it.
I played diablo 1 and 2 for years, I don't feel harmed. I think it's a matter that one has to seek guidance from God, and it's a personal decision. I don't think anyone can make that call for you, other than you and God.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One sec. I will review the game images.

If the enemies are disgusting, then the game is bad for your body, soul, and spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edit:

Yes, this will harm you. Do not play it.
This is completely subjectional. What is bad for one person doesn't mean it is bad for another. The same can be said for movies, music, and any other type or form of entertainment.

For instance, I have no problem listening to any type of secular music and I have no issue with nudity in movies. Neither of those effects my spiritual walk or takes me away from God. Others with sensitivity to these things might not feel the same way and maybe they feel it would be bad for their walk.

But to blatantly say "yes, this is bad" is incorrect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How's your heart beating? Does it beat a lot when you play Diablo?

That's funny I've never noticed my heart beating faster while playing video games in fact I have been monitoring my blood presure closely for the last 3 weeks since I had to go on a second high blood pressure and I have found my stolic blood pressure is lower after acouple hours of playing either Diablo 2 or NWN2.

Upvote 0

UnionJack

Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
✟16,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok first of all this is fantasy its not like call of duty where u shoot humans to pieces

so judging form other video games this is a lot lot better

if you feel bad about playing it that is your best indicator
but IMO if you feel alright and it doesnt affect your real life (i.e. you dont imagine stabbing people), it should be fine

Upvote 0

Museveni

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Feb 28, 2007
Sweden
✟8,845.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
How's your heart beating? Does it beat a lot when you play Diablo?

Called Adrenaline. Playing games is a challenge and as with any challenge your adrenaline goes up with you start to notice its getting tougher, like a boss in a game or when the timer is starting to run out in a multiplayer game and the score is even.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Evenstar253

somewhere else
Feb 3, 2009
PA
✟16,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my humble opinion, it's much more "moral" than the Left Behind game, at least the online version where you can play as the forces of the Antichrist. Diablo at least has you killing the bad guys no matter what ;)

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my humble opinion, it's much more "moral" than the Left Behind game, at least the online version where you can play as the forces of the Antichrist. Diablo at least has you killing the bad guys no matter what ;)

So you were one of the lucky ones who actauly get that glitchy piece of junk to work and before any suggest I try patching Left Behind I have tried that already. I know it's not my computer I can run Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War and all 3 of it's expansion pack just fine and Warhammer 40k has higher system requirements.

Upvote 0

Bouke285

It's not a sin to be wrong, but be wrong humbly!
Jul 3, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟7,993.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Alright, I think we all need to listen up for a second (read up). There is so much good and evil in this world, there are so many chances to choose a side. In absolutely EVERYTHING we do there is the chance to choose good and evil. There are those here who are rather quick to judge a game such as Diablo as evil. These people seem to forget we live in the midst of evil, shutting yourself in a perfect white corner is not what God wants! God wants you to be a light in the midst of that evil. This does not mean turn away from something because it is dark, it means go where God calls you, or in this case allows you and bring Jesus with you! There is absolutely NO reason Diablo could be in any way evil, unless you throw your life away for the game. I mean others have said this already anything we do can become addictive, bring the light with you and you will be in good standing.

Upvote 0

overfiend1976

Anti-hypocrite
Jun 10, 2010
Jeffersonville, Vermont, USA
✟15,141.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Video Games ftw. I can't believe you're actually WORRIED about becoming evil from playing games. Having fun doesn't create evil people, oppression, subjection to ridicule, being ostracized, being cowed into things by your peers, etc. etc., now that kinda stuff will make a person evil. But, I digress.....or do I?

Upvote 0

Dionysiou

Feb 2, 2010
Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sing as a song:

"the weak of willllllll, may be sucked into these gamessssss. They are designed, to harden your heartttt. Be aware of what they can doooooo, they can influence youuuuuuuuuuu, but that being saaiiddd. I play games toooooo, and honestly if it werent for the Kiiiinnngggg. I would have tried sorcerryyyyyy, just to seeeee. So my friendsssssss be careful what you dooooooooo, dont be deceived, REMEMBER THE TRUUUUUUUUTH".

Upvote 0