Is it wrong to continue dating someone once you know you are not going to marry them?

BDaroowala

Jul 5, 2015
✟7,612.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can anyone provide biblical evidence to support a certain side to this. I believe that it IS wrong to continue dating someone once you are sure they are not the person God has intended you to be with. I find strong evidence in the passage of 1 Corinthians 7 where it explains that God uses singleness as a time for you to grow closer to him. I am curious to see what you guys think about it. Remember, we're assuming you are 100% this person is not the one for you.

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The same passage came to my mind when I read the question as well. It seems pointless and misleading to continue a relationship that will not ultimately lead to marriage. If you know for a fact that you will never marry them then it would be best to end the relationship for both sides.

Reactions: slateblue
Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
The assumption is you are 100% sure you aren't going to marry them, but how can you be so sure?
I mean if its because you really dislike them, why would you even want to carry on dating them?
If you really like them, but for some reason can't see yourself marrying them, I don't think that makes you sure you are never going to marry them.

Reactions: LynnC
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone provide biblical evidence to support a certain side to this. I believe that it IS wrong to continue dating someone once you are sure they are not the person God has intended you to be with. I find strong evidence in the passage of 1 Corinthians 7 where it explains that God uses singleness as a time for you to grow closer to him. I am curious to see what you guys think about it. Remember, we're assuming you are 100% this person is not the one for you.
That would be difficult since the scriptures were written 1900 years BEFORE the idea of "dating" even came to be.

It is kinda like asking if there is a scripture that says you should have a smart phone instead of a land line.

My OPINION is that if you know she/he is NOT the one; then break it off and let them move on. It is not fair to them to keep them hanging on to something you know will not work out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
marry?
you mean do something that the state recognizes as a marriage , or something that God recognizes?

because if you have been intimate you are in God's eyes already
"married"/ and one with that person in the flesh and to the bones .. until one of you dies
just saying . should you keep looking for a Mrs Next? probably not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dating is adultery. One cannot twist it in any other way.
I never dated in high school. I was in band with a set of sisters; one 2 years older (J), one in my grade (C), and one 2 years younger (N). J was a wild hippie type and went to Michigan State (where I also went). During my sophmore year N came up to visit J and check out the college. I heard she was coming and invited her to go to church with me over the weekend. (we had a Saturday evening service) So she went there with me; and went back home and told everyone she had went out on a date with me. (NOT!!!)

So was that committing adultery?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going by what is described in the gospels any sexual contact or intent is adultery unless it is with one's own spouse.
Scripturally, adultery always involves a married woman. That fact just does not come across well in english.

And if there is "sexual contact or intent," I would say that is more than just dating.

Reactions: ccmission
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Is the person you are dating expecting that the relationship will lead to marriage? The other person should certainly be told that marriage is not on the cards. There is no excuse ever for leading a person on. Once the person is told, it is really up to them whether they are willing to continue the relationship.

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I never dated in high school. I was in band with a set of sisters; one 2 years older (J), one in my grade (C), and one 2 years younger (N). J was a wild hippie type and went to Michigan State (where I also went). During my sophmore year N came up to visit J and check out the college. I heard she was coming and invited her to go to church with me over the weekend. (we had a Saturday evening service) So she went there with me; and went back home and told everyone she had went out on a date with me. (NOT!!!)

So was that committing adultery?

No, unless you entertained sexual thoughts involving her.

Upvote 0