Is it wrong to church hop?

MrsBrit

Sep 18, 2013
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a difference between "church-hopping" and seeking out a better church. Church-hopping is irresponsible and flaky since it indicates instability and lack of commitment. On the other hand, if a Christian sees some real problems in his or her church, then it could be time to find another.

Why do you think Church hopping is irresponsible and flaky? I just can't understand this at all. What does it matter which Church roof we worship under? We were taught Church was The House Of God so do you really think it offends God if we choose to "Church hop" isn't the fact that we are in a House Of God, a Holy place, more important than pledging to join one in particular?

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

MrsBrit

Sep 18, 2013
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought we were discussing church hopping, not swapping. I may also have the wrong idea about American churches, as they are generally much larger than UK churches. Ours are mostly run by volunteers who are drawn from the membership, whereas I guess most US churches are much bigger with paid staff doing most of the work, and the congregations just turning up, praising, praying, reading, listening and learning ... and of course contributing financially. So to church leaders in the US I would think church hopping is less significant and is merely gauged by the numbers attending.

Exactly my point. I attended the same Church in England from childhood until I moved to London then came to the US and I was very surprised at being asked to join a Church here and then being asked about moving my membership from my previous Church. We do just turn up at Church in the UK, nobody asks about a previous Church we just welcome anyone.
You are right that Churches here do usually offer social activities and need a budget for the paid staff, some of the mega Churches have huge budgets which floored me when I first came here. It's just a different way of doing things but I can't see any harm in attending different Churches, in fact I think if we analyze our reason for being in Church then it shouldn't matter if we worship in a car park.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok its been nearly a month and i havent been back to the old church i was before where it had all this strife.

I just not really sure what to do now.
When ive been to other churches being new either they were real nosy and wanted me to join up and pay them money right away or they just plain ignored me. I just dont want to go through all that again.

When I first became a christian i was real shocked that some churches just asked me on the spot for a subscription fee. I didnt know you had to pay to join.

Upvote 0

MrsBrit

Sep 18, 2013
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok its been nearly a month and i havent been back to the old church i was before where it had all this strife.

When ive been to other churches being new either they were real nosy and wanted me to join up and pay them money right away or they just plain ignored me. I just dont want to go through all that again.

When I first became a christian i was real shocked that some churches just asked me on the spot for a subscription fee. I didnt know you had to pay to join.

I don't know what sort of Church you've been attending but I've never been asked upfront for money. We went to a Methodist Church for years and never joined, we did put money in the collection plate every week but nobody ever asked us for money. There were people there who have not joined but participated in the Church activities.
These Churches do have budgets and ask the members to commit to tithe a certain amount weekly but I've never been asked directly for money.
I'm at a loss to understand why you've been treated this way, perhaps try another denomination.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, the churches i been to had an offering bag that would go round, and one church would say its an offering to God whatver you have will be mutliplied, and so they didnt ask they just had a bag go round, kind of like how beggars but a hat on the ground and want passers by to put money in it.

However i noticed in one church the pastor would say we not only share our stories and MONEY and he would say this every week with the emphasis on MONEY that I got to thinking is he asking for more money all the time? Because my offering is often food for the food basket as you can eat food but cant eat money.

The first church is presybeterian second is baptist.

Other churches that were kind of pentecostal would say you robbing God if you dont tithe. Actually i visited a baptist and they started saying that as well, and made ppl feel real guilty if they didnt open their wallets.

One church i visited called me aside and gave me like a form that had an amount i had to give each week if I wanted to join. I didnt even have a job and couldnt afford to do this every week!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have not been to a methodist church so I dont know what its like to go there, the one near me seems to be samoan and i cant understand samoan, but maybe i will hop along one day.

I think the presy has changed they dont send ppl round with offering bags anymore they just have a box near the front and ppl can give if they want anonymously. Like a koha or donation. That way people arent asked even when the bag goes round implying you need to put something in when it reaches you. When i was rostered on often i would be the one counting all the money with someone else, and the money was heaps more than i could ever make in a week. I never knew where it really went it just got banked.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its kinda weird counting all that money when I dont even have any lol. Also there would be tithe envelopes and cheques, but i thought it was meant to be anonymous yet ppl of course had their names on the cheques.

Ive heard other churches have EFTPOS or even credit card, so you can give money you dont even have.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most churches take up an offering during the service. It is a convenient way for many people to give. So in and of itself that is not a pressure technique. The issue is how the church pastor/leader talk about the offering.

The one I attend simply tells people to give if and as they feel led. If anyone feels pressure or guilt for passing the plate without putting anything in it, they essentially are putting that on themselves. Many people put nothing in, partly because they can easily donate to the church on-line or many tend to do it once monthly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
are they?
I havent felt guilty just do what the Lord asks of me, but yes I notice some pastors talk about it as if its something that God DEMANDS off people.

I don't think that's right.
Also putting envelopes on chairs with little forms saying put your credit card details here is kind of like the network marketing approach don't you think? Its like going to an Amway meeting.

Upvote 0

MrsBrit

Sep 18, 2013
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the churches i been to had an offering bag that would go round, and one church would say its an offering to God whatver you have will be mutliplied, and so they didnt ask they just had a bag go round, kind of like how beggars but a hat on the ground and want passers by to put money in it.

However i noticed in one church the pastor would say we not only share our stories and MONEY and he would say this every week with the emphasis on MONEY that I got to thinking is he asking for more money all the time? Because my offering is often food for the food basket as you can eat food but cant eat money.

The first church is presybeterian second is baptist.

"Other churches that were kind of pentecostal would say you robbing God if you dont tithe. Actually i visited a baptist and they started saying that as well, and made ppl feel real guilty if they didnt open their wallets".

Every Church I've been to passes round the offering plate and yes it's meant to do God's work and meet the Church budget. If you fill out one of those envelopes the Church will usually send you a statement every 6/12 months so you can file it with your taxes as a charitable contribution.
I don't go for the hard core "you're robbing God" if you don't tithe, in fact if you were unemployed then the Church should have been helping you. There are many ways of doing God's work which don't include giving money to the Church if you can't afford it. If you donate food then I don't see why that's not acceptable. Usually once a year Ministers do ask people to commit to a give a certain amount each week but that's when they're trying to meet the budget requirements for the coming year.
I've noticed that two Churches I've been to recently have added online donations to their options so many people just passed the collection plate without putting anything in. Only the Lord knows if these people actually do donate online or not but it takes the pressure from people who just pass the plate.
I do have a problem with some of these mega Churches where the Minister lives in a huge house and drives an expensive car, however the congregation is obviously aware of this.
I just feel you haven't found the right Church yet, I've never felt pressure to give money and if I did feel this I would be finding another Church.]

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, have I no idea where this 'right' church is unless its 'right' under my nose.

Maybe the church is just wherever I hang out with my believing friends and have fun together, and it can be any time of the day.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a difference between "church-hopping" and seeking out a better church. Church-hopping is irresponsible and flaky since it indicates instability and lack of commitment. On the other hand, if a Christian sees some real problems in his or her church, then it could be time to find another.

What if you found a homechurch but you got disfellowshiped and fear to go back but can't find a church like this one?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think Church hopping is irresponsible and flaky? I just can't understand this at all. What does it matter which Church roof we worship under? We were taught Church was The House Of God so do you really think it offends God if we choose to "Church hop" isn't the fact that we are in a House Of God, a Holy place, more important than pledging to join one in particular?
My take on this is where ever I meet with my family in Yeshua, regardless of what they or I do on Sunday, there is the Church.
We should be loyal to the close relationships we form in the Church but if people are indifferent to our presence at a meeting then there is little reason to hang around.
Unless Yeshua is telling us to or if we want to, that is.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea you should be allowed to just rock up to any church and worship the Lord. Who cares if you a member with a card? You already saved.

We have liberty in Christ.
We have liberty and if we are in Him we belong whether anybody likes it or not.
Their indifference or rejection is something they will need to settle with our Father.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It takes money to run a building and an organisation, and Church buildings are funded by the gifting of the people who attend them. Unfortunately, perhaps, people are reluctant to contribute to the facilities and organisation they are receiving benefit from so the poor old Pastor has the unenviable task of standing in front of the meeting on a regular basis to encourage the people to put their money down.
If we are in favour of these things perhaps its good to contribute financially, according to our means anyway.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO USA
✟9,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
like go from one church to another. Say theres several different congreagations in your area. You want to try them all. How will you know if you dont try?
Or are you just meant to always stay in one church forever.

Or is it only wrong to church hop according to the pastor. If you pledged as a member do you have to keep that pledge? What if you didnt?

What it theres an issue with a church member or a teaching, or the pastor or preachers preach correct doctrine but dont actually practise what they preach?

Who really wants to stay where they not wanted and dont belong?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. And if you decided you wanted to church-hop continuously, there's nothing wrong with that either. There's nothing in your Bible that says it is and nothing that could be inferred that in the 21st Century that if you wanted to attend a service at one or the other -- or -- attend for a time at one or another that this is wrong. It is ok if a person decides for themselves to do this but It's very dysfunctional (and insane) to insist that other people do this. Sounds almost cult-like if you ask me.

Upvote 0