Should Christian Actors Kiss Someone Who is Not Their Spouse?

B

boogalaboogala

i just had a similar conversation with a friend about the actor of sopranos when he died.. i was saying that if a gangster was to go to hell when he died.. why not a man that played the roll of a gangster week in and week out for years.. is he not choosing to play that roll for monetary gain.. just as a gangster plays the same roll for the same reason..
i mean really. is the actor not teaching these wicked behaviors to viewers .. when he attended the actors awards, i never saw any shame or remorse for playing such a vile and wicked role.. the language alone in that show is definately in contrast to what Christ is all about..
my buddy says that he is only acting.. so i guess that is where we are then.. a society that believes that if it is in the name of entertainment, then it trumps the righteous requirements of our glorious Saviour.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
They are doing their job. A kiss is just a kiss. It wouldn't be okay for me - I wouldn't want to kiss a stranger, nor have my husband kiss a stranger - but neither of us are in the acting profession so that's okay.

I'm not a fan of big, slurping kisses though. I would rather it take place out of sight and be left to my imagination. But that's just me. Everyone is different.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's wrong in and of itself. It all depends on the motives and hearts of the people involved. As an actress (theater) I've seen people play lovers and kiss on stage, and offstage they were ready to barf because they were so not into it in real life! They put on a character and acted out a part, that was all. I've also seen people who played romantic scenes and actually began to struggle with feelings for the other actor offstage. So it can go both ways.

A kiss is innocuous (IMO) but "love scenes" where people are making out or having sex... noooo way, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I honestly don't know. Sanctification is a very hard road to discern especially in such a liberal world we live in. But what I do know is God sees the heart. In the end, it is in the heart that sin will reside in, and it will be the place where sin will fester and make him fall sideways from the path of a Christian. If in his heart he sins, and lusts, and becomes a form of self-gratification, and so forth, then such has become a sin to him.

But frankly, I've lived under this single rule: if in doubt, abstain.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm not a fan of big, slurping kisses though. I would rather it take place out of sight and be left to my imagination.
Same here. It feels like the audience is intruding on a very private moment. But the audience is locked in by not knowing how long it will be or how far it will go, so it doesn't make sense to get up.

In terms of pacing, it's not necessarily a good use of time. When the audience knows they're not actually in the relationship, then they are alienated --when the director thinks the audience will be intimately connected to the film.

Back to your question, it's very relative. If the actor is married to someone who considers it wrong, then it violate trust. But acquaintances kiss in greeting all the time, and no one complains.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If their lips are touching it ain't make believe. They are exchanging bodily warmth and other sensory stimulation in the highly sensitive area of the lips, even swapping hormones through saliva, particularly in French kissing. We are told in the Bible to not even give the impression of evil. I think it's a definite no no.

Well, just reflecting on it, would you honestly want your mate receiving kisses from some hunky movie star, for example? Even if he wasn't hunky, just kinda attractive, could you honestly say you wouldn't be worried that she was enjoying it? I mean, c'mon.

Praying for you for wisdom in this area and in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 25, 2013
✟15,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If their lips are touching it ain't make believe. They are exchanging bodily warmth and other sensory stimulation in the highly sensitive area of the lips, even swapping hormones through saliva, particularly in French kissing. We are told in the Bible to not even give the impression of evil. I think it's a definite no no.

Well, just reflecting on it, would you honestly want your mate receiving kisses from some hunky movie star, for example? Even if he wasn't hunky, just kinda attractive, could you honestly say you wouldn't be worried that she was enjoying it? I mean, c'mon.

Praying for you for wisdom in this area and in general.

I agree. Would not God call this profession akin to being a harlot? You know, selling your bodily services for intimacy,but according to Hetta, 'they are doing there job':doh:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think anyone who is a Christian would have to consider carefully if they wanted to pursue a career in acting, for the reasons mentioned here. And if they do, or if someone who is an actor/actress becomes a Christian, they should carefully consider roles they are willing to play.

I don't think "kissing" is the question, but the whole sphere of what you embrace and present yourself as being, as part of your work. I can think of worse things than kissing.

I think a devoted Christian would find themselves limited in the field, or struggling with their conscience. Then again, I think Hollywood in general is not very considerate of faith.

Upvote 0

Godisgood12

Nov 30, 2013
✟1,558.00
Faith
Christian
I can think of worse things than kissing.

I think a devoted Christian would find themselves limited in the field, or struggling with their conscience. Then again, I think Hollywood in general is not very considerate of faith.

Youd have to be willing to lie.

We are all aware of who embraces lies, satan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Youd have to be willing to lie.

We are all aware of who embraces lies, satan.

Well, how about this? Many churches have little pageants, plays, etc. - especially at Christmastime.

Is the little girl who stands up there and recites the words of Mary, pretending to BE Mary, even though she's not - is she lying?

It's not who she is.

But ... we all know that it's a stage performance.

So either she is lying too, or you have to choose somewhere to draw a line.

Not trying to pick on you. And I am not trying to argue for moral relativism. But just trying to think where it leads, when someone makes a particular assertion.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Would not God call this profession akin to being a harlot? You know, selling your bodily services for intimacy,but according to Hetta, 'they are doing there job':doh:

It's just a kiss.

You can believe whatever you want to believe but don't trash me for believing what I believe, please.

Upvote 0

Godisgood12

Nov 30, 2013
✟1,558.00
Faith
Christian
Well, how about this? Many churches have little pageants, plays, etc. - especially at Christmastime.

Is the little girl who stands up there and recites the words of Mary, pretending to BE Mary, even though she's not - is she lying?

How could I possibly blame a little innocent child?

Upvote 0

Godisgood12

Nov 30, 2013
✟1,558.00
Faith
Christian
Not trying to pick on you. And I am not trying to argue for moral relativism. But just trying to think where it leads, when someone makes a particular assertion.

The topic asked about a married person kissing another. It is wrong. If you look seriously inside yourself, youd agree. Unless you didnt care for the one your married to.

Upvote 0