Is it too late to start a law or business career in my 40s?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I want to go back to school but I don't know where to begin. I will be 41 soon and it has been a while since I have been back to school and the last time I went, I felt old, self-conscious, and sadly I didn't get to complete. My choices are to go to law school or business school and I wonder if I am being self-conscious because I feel like I would have to start back all over again. How much does age matter?

Deavallsbabe

Sep 25, 2015
✟15,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You're never too old ;) I went back to law studies a few years ago and I am just doing my qualifying employment before I can become a fellow of the chartered institute of legal executives. It was an easier route for me than doing a law degree because (a) it was easier to budget for the course and exam fees and (b) I could earn while I learn. I'm in my mid-40's btw.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I want to go back to school but I don't know where to begin. I will be 41 soon and it has been a while since I have been back to school and the last time I went, I felt old, self-conscious, and sadly I didn't get to complete. My choices are to go to law school or business school and I wonder if I am being self-conscious because I feel like I would have to start back all over again. How much does age matter?
Don't delay! I went back to school in 2005 aged 35 and studied History full-time for three years. I graduated back Hons History 2:1 in 2008.

However, I chose a university which had a good mix of young students and mature students, so that I wouldn't feel out of place. Plus I wanted a university which welcomed mature students and not one which had 5 per cent mature. It turned out that about one-third in my class were in their 30s, with one undergraduate who was in her 60s, too.

I was in the doldrums before university. God lifted me out and set me on a righteous path again. Now I have a bright outlook and fired up again to serve Jesus.

Go to university - enjoy yourself and grow!

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My mother was 44 when she finished college. She became a distinguished college professor and noted sociologist and educator. Most people should be so lucky to have a career like she did.

As long as you're healthy enough to do it and it's something you want to do, why not do it?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If I were 41 again and had the option to go to Law School, I'd definitely go! I'm 53 and halfway through an M.Ed and I just applied for an M.S. program to begin in the summer of next year, when I complete this one. It is too late for Law School for me now, and wouldn't be worth it, but I would go for it at your age. Yes, there may be some young people who are mocking or make sarcastic comments, but I don't think you will be alone with no peers, as twice very recently I heard of a person approaching mid life who was applying to Law School. Good luck to you!

Upvote 0

Ekim

Oct 27, 2015
✟7,636.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I think you can take old people classes or go to an old people college i couldn't really imagine being in classroom full of regular 20 year old college students unless I was a teacher or something. but I tried a few classes and it was ok if it's like a school or place where that is normal it's no big deal but if you go to some school where you are the only older person there then maybe it's awkward.

but I don't see anything wrong with being in class with younger people, I think there's a lot of local university extension campuses that are like that

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My mother was 44 when she finished college. She became a distinguished college professor and noted sociologist and educator. Most people should be so lucky to have a career like she did.

As long as you're healthy enough to do it and it's something you want to do, why not do it?
Love this..

Upvote 0