Is it Time for the US to Adopt a New National Anthem?

Which song should replace the Star Spangled Banner as the US National Anthem?

• America the Beautiful

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Columbia the Gem of the Ocean

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • My Country 'Tis of Thee

• The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hail Columbia

• God Bless America

• This Land is Your Land

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Simple Gifts

• Yankee Doodle

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty happy with our anthem. I like some of the other songs too but I like our anthem. I've listened to it every day at school & never gotten tired of it in all this time.

I haven't ever heard of those Columbia songs.

Hail Columbia functioned as the national anthem for years and predates the Star Spangled Banner. I posted a link to it earlier in the thread. Columbia the Gem of the Ocean was very popular in the late 1800s.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lady Gaga has received considerable and well-deserved praise for her recent performance of the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl. However, there has been an ongoing debate regarding the US National Anthem since the Star Spangled Banner was adopted in 1931. Is is time to replace the Star Spangled Banner and, if so, what song should replace it?
I've always felt "America, the Beautiful" would be a much more fitting and more peaceful national anthem, compared to our current poetic ode to warfare we have for our national song, I think this one is more inviting since it's about the country and not about the flag or war.

And to connect the two topics, my favorite Super Bowl ad:

It's a song that connects all of us to something greater, rather than referencing a battle during the War of 1812.

And it's far easier for the average human to sing. Not all of us are Lady Gaga.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It should be something original that reflects the current state of America. It should include:

* You're racist if you disagree with anyone of another race for any reason
* Being entitled to things you didn't earn or taking it from someone else
* There's no right or wrong, just whatever you choose to believe
* War of any kind is bad and people should be nice
* America should never have been founded because it's the cause of all the world's problems
* Immigration laws and dominant culture are racist
* Don't mention God or Christianity anywhere because it's offensive (but Islam is okay)
* Government healthcare is the greatest invention since the printing press
* The rich are evil, along with corporations
* Marry whoever and identify as whatever you want; biology has no business telling you what you are

That kind of anthem will ensure that everyone is happy and no one has to feel too proud of their country.

I didn't realize I had to foster a blind patriotism toward my country in order to love it.

People do forget that the Star Spangled Banner has been our official National Anthem for less than 100 years. Hail Columbia, the older song of the two, often functioned as a National Anthem until after the Civil War. Rarely sung today, the music and words can be found here:

I listened to that one for the first time because of this thread. I like it better than The Star Spangled Banner.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
QFT. The lyrics to La Marseillaise mention watering fields with blood, and enemy soldiers cutting throats. Though I gotta admit, it is my favorite national anthem, and definitely the most stirring.

My favorite anthem. :)

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I use to be a patriot until i began to follow the Lord. I already believed in God as a patriot, but i didn't actually follow him, and i couldn't see clearly. The Lord opens our eyes. I saw that America didn't follow the Law of Christ. The Law of Christ would have instructed us to love the native Indian tribes, and seek brotherhood with them, and to treat them as we want treated. However its my understanding that we robed the Indians instead. Its a bad idea to follow worldly leaders. They don't follow the Lord.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Or, maybe some of us just don't make as big a deal out of "God stuff" add you'd probably like to think we do.

I personally enjoy the tune of America the Beautiful more than the Star Spangled Banner. I also like that the song doesn't really focus on glorifying war or the flag but instead, the country itself.
Or, maybe atheists like yourself and others do make a big deal out of God stuff, as your post history shows here, and that's what prompts the observation regarding some atheists attitude . You set the example.
Don't be surprised when the theists take note.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Or, maybe atheists like yourself and others do make a big deal out of God stuff, as your post history shows here, and that's what prompts the observation regarding some atheists attitude . You set the example.
Don't be surprised when the theists take note.
Please, tell me more about my post history here... What have you 'observed' about me?

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lady Gaga has received considerable and well-deserved praise for her recent performance of the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl. However, there has been an ongoing debate regarding the US National Anthem since the Star Spangled Banner was adopted in 1931. Is is time to replace the Star Spangled Banner and, if so, what song should replace it?

Songs are a matter of taste. Personally, I think America the Beautiful is the best of the lot.

Changing a national anthem though, is a big deal.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟15,074.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Based upon my observations we should adopt AC-DC's song, "Highway to Hell." [emoji48] [emoji91]

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Jose Feliciano sang the SSB before the 5th game of the 1968 WS. He accompanied himself on solo acoustic guitar, and gave the song a kind of soul spin. This was thought to be out-of-line, and was very negatively received at the time. I think it's great--not disrespectful at all. It's my favorite version, and the most honest, heartfelt rendition I've ever heard.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟180,948.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I say it should be Song for America, written by Kerry Livgren.

Highways scar the mountainsides, buildings to the sky, people all around
Houses stand in endless rows, sea to shining sea, people all around
So we rule this land, and here we stand upon our paradise,
Dreaming of a place, our weary race is ready to arise.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I say it should be Song for America, written by Kerry Livgren.

Highways scar the mountainsides, buildings to the sky, people all around
Houses stand in endless rows, sea to shining sea, people all around
So we rule this land, and here we stand upon our paradise,
Dreaming of a place, our weary race is ready to arise.
Looks like someone is a Kansas fan...

Upvote 0