1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to think you have absolute certitude of your salvation but be wrong?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by MrPolo, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Rick Otto

Rick Otto The Dude Abides

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    That was not my answer. The answer I gave was adequate.
    What is inadequate about the need for fellowship being an answer???

He can lead me to greener pastures.

I would need to thank the Doctor. Maybe you wouldn't. It's OK, I understand.

Once you're saved, you're saved, unless you're not. Are you saved? If you are, don't you want to thank Jesus? No need? You only care about yourself? I understand.

Because sometimes we get sick but it isn't cancer, it's just diarrhea.:sorry:

2. Nik0s

Nik0s Guest

Hanging out for fellowship is not needing Christ.

So you can become "More saved"? :confused:
    That's great and all, but after you thanked him you would just go home.
    You're not answering my question rick. Why do you still need a savior if you are saved? Remember, once you thank the doctor you go home.
    Awesome cop out. :wave:

3. Rick Otto

Rick Otto The Dude Abides

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    How is fellowship not a need?
    Besides, I said we needed Him to receive our gratitude.
    That would make sense to a three yr old. Listen, if you can't see any advantage in wanting to fellowship with Jesus simply because you are already saved, there ain't gonna be no way in L.A. I can answer that question in a way you will find "adequate".
    Find another whipping boy.
    You know everything about me!!! How do you DO that!:doh:
    ^_^
    YOU go home. :wave:My home is with the Doctor.
    Said the spider to the fly. Like I said, find another victim.

4. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

Once you are saved it is a intimate relationship with the Savior. We do not need to work at trying to be saved or stay saved. Man cannot save themselves by doing any works. So why try? He has already translated His People from darkness to light. They are all ready born again. New birth in Him. All these people trying to keep saved must be quite a burden. This is why we come to Him for His burden is light. He gives rest to the weary and He renews their strength.

5. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

Notice we are not told to work to have salvation. Just as if you have a problem in your home you work it out. If there is no problem you won't work it out. Same with Salvation. We have Salvation so we work it out. It is a life time of growing. From a babe in Christ drinking the milk of the word to eating the meat of the word. Just as in a family Home. Just because a sister or brother don't always agree or get along does not make them no longer brother and sister. Salvation is the beginning of our Journey with the Lord into eternity. It is not the end effect.

6. Nik0s

Nik0s Guest

That is totally contradictory not only to scripture but to what the early church taught.

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    If this is the key statement, it can be defended on the basis of scripture and early church history.

8. Nik0s

Nik0s Guest

Salvation is not a one time event, it is a lifelong process that we must work to achieve. Remember, the way is narrow, not everyone who says "Lord!, Lord!" will be saved.

9. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    That's one view. 'Being saved' may refer to the assurance that we have that we are going to be acceptable to the Lord after our deaths OR to the passage into the afterlife itself, but we are convinced from the word of God that it is nothing that WE achieve for ourselves or even in cooperation with Christ through performing good deeds that we hope he will credit us with.

Christ paid the penalty for sins, our sins, and made the only perfect act that can never be repeated, equalled, or improved upon. He did this because we could do nothing by our own efforts that would put away the guilt for our sins.

10. Timothew

Timothew Τιμοθέῳ γνησίῳ τέκνῳ ἐν πίστει

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    My own belief is we are ultimately saved when Jesus Christ resurrects us from death into eternal life. In the meantime we can know that we are saved because we have faith that he will do this for us. The reason we can have faith is that he promised to give eternal life life all who repent of their sins and receive him. The other reason we can have faith that he will resurrect us is that he proved he can by his own resurrection. He accomplished this by his death and resurrection.

So we were saved by Christ when he died on the cross and rose again, we are being saved through repentance and faith in him, and we will be saved when he returns.

I like Dorothea's statement.

11. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

How is it contradictory to scripture?

12. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

We do not work to achieve salvation. That is a works based theology. No man can recieve salvation through their works.

13. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

Salvation is not of works lest any man should boast. Salvation is of the Lord, through Grace and the cross and His ressurection.

14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    And they tell us there's nothing in scripture that teaches salvation by faith.:sigh:

15. Papepipu

Papepipu eibwen

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes they can be wrong of course.
    I personally have absolute assurance based on the Holy Spirit.
    Can I be wrong? Not if the Spirit testified, which He did.

So it comes down to whether or not someone has the Spirit or not whether or not they can be given reassurance. Christ Jesus likened the Spirit to rivers of flowing water. Do people have this? Or why would he say something like that and not mean a literal feeling?

So whoever has not had the Spirit testify doesn't know God.
    Whoever doesn't live in love also doesn't know God since God is love.

Both scriptural, both steps on peoples toes.

16. LaSpino3

LaSpino3 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Mr. Polo, what does certitude mean?

Phil LaSpino

17. Nik0s

Nik0s Guest

We receive our Salvation through Jesus Christ by partaking in the sacrements of the Church and obeying Christs' commandments about loving one and other.

18. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

Don't read that in scripture. Sorry. I read in scripture believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you and your household will be saved. Nothing about sacraments of any church

19. Nik0s

Nik0s Guest

You need to re-read scripture then.

20. Timothew

Timothew Τιμοθέῳ γνησίῳ τέκνῳ ἐν πίστει

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Which verse?