Is it possible to think you have absolute certitude of your salvation but be wrong?

BusterBrown

Dec 31, 2011
US
✟247.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible to think you have absolute certitude of your salvation but be wrong? ...or does everyone who believes they have absolute assurance of their salvation go to heaven?

Absoloutly they can be wrong. Mat. 7:21:23.
BTW no one is going to heaven.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
...or does everyone who believes they have absolute assurance of their salvation go to heaven?

In Matthew 7 Jesus is addressing those who call Him Lord, Lord so there are going to be many people who are firmly convinced they are saved who will go to hell (I'm afraid men have greatly expanded what Constitutes being a true Christian over what the Bible teaches ... although this thought is routinely dismissed as a 'no true Scotsman' thing as though we can be good Christians and not do what Jesus said to do).

Upvote 0

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord! Lord! shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, Lord! Lord! Did we not prophesy in Your name, and through Your name throw out demons, and through Your name do many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then I will say to them I never knew you! Depart from Me, those working lawlessness!

There will be many that emphatically believe they are saved but will be horribly disappointed when He returns. Many will be lost because they were actually trusting in their own "righteousness" while others will be lost because they thought that being in a dispensation of grace gave them license to sin.

matt 7:21-23 is talking of overcoming believers. matt talks of kingdom of the heavens which is different from the kingdom of God. the kingdom of the heavens takes place from Christs death to the end of the millennium. as such those verses are talking about the overcoming believers will be rewarded to be with Christ during the millennium as a reward for their obedience. what gives it away is the Lord Lord. they are all believers but those cast out did not do the will of God and so will not get to share in the reward but they will get to be part of those that get eternal life.

rom 10:9 shows what is necessary to go to heaven. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. it does not say anything about having to live a victorious life in Christ in order to be accepted. as long as you do the 2 things that that verse says then you will go to heaven.

Originally Posted by mr polo
...or does everyone who believes they have absolute assurance of their salvation go to heaven?

this is answered by the above paragraph. may God's grace and mercy follow us all the days of our life.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
matt 7:21-23 is talking of overcoming believers. matt talks of kingdom of the heavens which is different from the kingdom of God. the kingdom of the heavens takes place from Christs death to the end of the millennium. as such those verses are talking about the overcoming believers will be rewarded to be with Christ during the millennium as a reward for their obedience. what gives it away is the Lord Lord. they are all believers but those cast out did not do the will of God.

rom 10:9 shows what is necessary to go to heaven. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. it does not say anything about having to live a victorious life in Christ in order to be accepted. as long as you do the 2 things that that verse says then you will go to heaven.

this is answered by the above paragraph. may God's grace and mercy follow us all the days of our life.

Hmmm, so why does Jesus say "why call ye me Lord, Lord and do not the things which I say" and elsewhere the Bible teaches that Jesus is the author of salvation for all who obey Him?

Coming to live a virtuous life (certainly by the standards of mankind) is the inevitable result of God entering our lives and transforming us from the wicked creature we had been into an immitator of Jesus Christ. I suggest you read the book 'Be Not Deceived' because the Bible has a whole lot to say about salvation and we must consider all that the Bible has to say on the matter and not just go by a snippet here and there.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
matt 7:21-23 is talking of overcoming believers. matt talks of kingdom of the heavens which is different from the kingdom of God. the kingdom of the heavens takes place from Christs death to the end of the millennium. as such those verses are talking about the overcoming believers will be rewarded to be with Christ during the millennium as a reward for their obedience. what gives it away is the Lord Lord. they are all believers but those cast out did not do the will of God and so will not get to share in the reward but they will get to be part of those that get eternal life.

Jude and James are crystal-clear on this matter:

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." Jude 1:3-4

"But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." James 1:22

Faith alone is simply not enough....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heb. 6:17-20 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed [it] by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which [it was] impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which [hope] we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, [even] Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

1 Jn. 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Hope that helps.
It always seems to help me, but then I don't have to ask anyone permission to think or believe, so I'm not authoritative.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was afraid of that. What does it mean to you that God swore an oath upon Himself? Or do you not think it is related to your question?
Sadly, God has resorted to "circular logic" - you know, the sort of "because I say so" arguments disdained by a few here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Harry in that it depends upon whether we have been compelled to accept Christ and done so, according to God's rules/laws or not. If we have, then we must rely upon God's promises and Word (which we must do to begin with to obtain eternal life, so it shouldn't be an issue afterwards.)

God's Word says nothing can separate us from the love of God NOTHING, once we have become believers... and that when we do obtain eternal life by promise, that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit (until the day of redemption when Christ declares us His before the throne of God the Father.)

We must rely upon God for all of it.

Satan is the one who makes you doubt, rebuke him and he will flee from you.

Be well.

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

It is utterly arrogant and presumptive to assume one is "saved." There is only one judge who can determine that.
St. Tikhon said:
"My poor soul! Sigh, pray and strive to take upon you the blessed yoke of Christ, and you will live on earth in a heavenly manner. Lord, grant that I may carry the light and goodly yoke, and I shall be always at rest, peaceful, glad and joyous; and I shall taste on earth of crumbs which fall from the celestial feast, like a dog that feeds upon the crumbs which fall from the master's table."

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

As long as one affirms that the Savior is self, there can be no certainty.

If Christ is the Savior, I think there can be.

In God I trust. In me, I'm not so sure....

This is also why I so treasure being Protestant.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is utterly arrogant and presumptive to assume one is "saved." There is only one judge who can determine that.

That's why we do not assume; we know we are saved by the blood of our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ!;)

Upvote 0