Is it possible to believe in JW or Mormon doctrines and be truly saved?

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if it would necessarily be against the rules because the CF statement of faith is the Nicene Creed and anybody who does not fully adhere to it is considered a Non-Christian on this forum. I would agree with this because a rejection of the Nicene Creed puts you outside the fold of Christianity. This has been the standard definition of what makes somebody a Christian for a little under 1700 years. Simply believing in Jesus is not enough because even the Muslims believe in him but it is a false version of Jesus along with the Mormon and Jehovah's Witnesses version so I would agree with you.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I know it is against the policy of this forum to reject the salvation of certain individuals or groups but I can firmly say that if a professing Christian wholeheartedly embraces JW or Mormon doctrines after carefully studying them he or she does not really belong to Christ. Do you agree with this?

We are saved by Jesus Christ, not by doctrines. All proper doctrine points us to Jesus; to the real, living, risen Jesus Christ of the Bible. Unfortunately both the JW's and the LDS are based in false doctrine that teaches a false Jesus.....and a false Jesus cannot save. If it is that Jesus that they profess, that Jesus cannot save them.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
John 14:6 pretty much sums it all up. Truth is truth and if you don't have the truth then you don't have the way or the life that Jesus promised. If you change either the truth, the way, the life OR Jesus then your salvation doesn't exist and these two groups have changed these things to suit the desires of their leadership and for the most part consider the rest of Christiandom to be either inferior to them or frauds.

Upvote 0

Dom Puccio

Contemplator
Sep 8, 2015
Manhattan, KS
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know jw believe Jesus is the son of God but not God Himself
And to me that's blasphemy. If you believe Jesus is the Son of God and that what He said is true then you must believe that He also is God Himself. To me that doesn't make sense to have one and deny the other.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
And to me that's blasphemy. If you believe Jesus is the Son of God and that what He said is true then you must believe that He also is God Himself. To me that doesn't make sense to have one and deny the other.
Christians are not required to accept the Deity of Christ or the trinity the moment that they become one, but in time their growth as a Christian reaches a point where the knowledge of it is put in front of them and that can be the crossroads where they and God can part as when they openly reject such things they then are straying farther away from who God is and end up having to sooner or later replace God with a facsimile of him to suit their error ridden theology. It is one thing to be a lay person and personally disagree with the trinity and keep it to yourself yet for the most part adhering to the other core tenants of Christianity but another thing to be a teacher or leader or evangelist and pass on your error to them. Some people I think can be Christians with error ridden understanding of Christianity while others this understanding when false becomes a stumbling block to their walk with God. If we look at the 12 apostles when Jesus himself asked the 12 "who do you think I am" did all 12 blurt out the doctrine of the deity of Christ? No., only one did and Jesus instead of scolding the other 11 who didn't immediately jump in he congratulated the one who did.

The Gospel doesn't mention the deity of Christ directly, but as one studies the trinity one can see it indirectly in even the gospel. For God so loved the world "HE" gave his only begotten son for who soever believes in "HIM"........ which "HIM" is being talked about here? Is it only Jesus, or God.... I contend believing is in the trinity because without it you are either believing in God OR Jesus...... NOT necessarily BOTH. If you continue in this verse you will see eternal life is mentioned and thinking through it you still have "He" and "HIM" as the giver of it... which one gives eternal life? It has to be both otherwise you are believing in one for belief and perhaps the other to give you eternal life which makes for interesting problems.

Upvote 0

Dom Puccio

Contemplator
Sep 8, 2015
Manhattan, KS
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians are not required to accept the Deity of Christ or the trinity the moment that they become one, but in time their growth as a Christian reaches a point where the knowledge of it is put in front of them and that can be the crossroads where they and God can part as when they openly reject such things they then are straying farther away from who God is and end up having to sooner or later replace God with a facsimile of him to suit their error ridden theology. It is one thing to be a lay person and personally disagree with the trinity and keep it to yourself yet for the most part adhering to the other core tenants of Christianity but another thing to be a teacher or leader or evangelist and pass on your error to them. Some people I think can be Christians with error ridden understanding of Christianity while others this understanding when false becomes a stumbling block to their walk with God. If we look at the 12 apostles when Jesus himself asked the 12 "who do you think I am" did all 12 blurt out the doctrine of the deity of Christ? No., only one did and Jesus instead of scolding the other 11 who didn't immediately jump in he congratulated the one who did.

The Gospel doesn't mention the deity of Christ directly, but as one studies the trinity one can see it indirectly in even the gospel. For God so loved the world "HE" gave his only begotten son for who soever believes in "HIM"........ which "HIM" is being talked about here? Is it only Jesus, or God.... I contend believing is in the trinity because without it you are either believing in God OR Jesus...... NOT necessarily BOTH. If you continue in this verse you will see eternal life is mentioned and thinking through it you still have "He" and "HIM" as the giver of it... which one gives eternal life? It has to be both otherwise you are believing in one for belief and perhaps the other to give you eternal life which makes for interesting problems.
When Peter confesses Jesus to be the Christ and Jesus affirms him in that, that is not a mention of Christ's deity?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
When Peter confesses Jesus to be the Christ and Jesus affirms him in that, that is not a mention of Christ's deity?
Yes Peter attests as such, that was in my example but the other 11 there we don't see attesting as such do we? I'm not saying that they did or did not think he was God or when they did think so but I contend that many who met Jesus it wasn't revealed to them till a later time just as Thomas certainly didn't think Jesus was God until later for sure if he did he wouldn't have had to see the nail scars before being "sure". John knew he was in his Gospel account. Essentially there is no requirement in the Gospel to accept Jesus as "God" but IMO if one doesn't sooner or later accept it as such their walk with God will his a roadblock. It is quite possible that many won't really accept Jesus until they are sure he is God because without that knowledge they may be unsure about how salvation works enough to truly accept the gift of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The LDS, JWs, Oneness Pentecostals, UUs, &c., are all apostate and heretical. They do not embrace the Trinity.

According to the Bible, they cannot be saved.

Now, if the opposite occurs, with a JW / Mormon becoming an Orthodox Christian, they can be saved.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that we do not know the answer to the question. It is in God's hands.

While it seems simple enough to say "that isn't the real Jesus," it could easily be said also that not believing in his "one true church/denomination" or the "Real Presence" in Holy Communion would make one a non-believer in practice and therefore not salvageable. Obviously, I'd say, this is a slippery slope.

Upvote 0