Is it okay for Christians to watch 'Game of Thrones'?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Philippian Prescription:

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things.

The "whatever" extends the context beyond scripture itself, and then the verse gives us the criteria of what we should dwell on, what we should study and permit into our minds and spirits.

I've heard about Game of Thrones, but I've never watched it. How does it measure up to the Philippian Prescription? Or how about this:

Everything is permissible, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible, but not everything builds up. -- 1 Corinthians 10.

Let's say we start from the context of nothing per se being pre-emptively forbidden, but judged on the criteria of its effects. Does "Game of Thrones" build you up? Does it make you a stronger Christian? Does it give you a better understanding of the Way of Christ? Does it increase your fellowship with other Christians? Even in a secular context, does it make you smarter? Do you better understand the real humans you deal with daily and are you able to engage them more effectively?

Was there some more profitable way to have used that hour? 'Cause you know you're never getting that hour back.

Reactions: Wrexscar
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that there's already websites on this topic but there isn't a consistent opinion. Some say no - there's too much graphic sex and others say if it won't affect you, you can watch it.

What do you think about this?

Hi JLH88,

In order to decide whether you are "permitted" to watch Game of Thrones, you may also want to ask yourself two things: 1) From where does the inspiration for this program come (i.e. what is it's origin/source philosophy), and 2) What is it's underlying message: does it have a moral or political point that is compatible with Christian faith?

If when you ask these two questions your answers indicate that the program is destructive to the maintenance of Christian thinking and behavior, then you'll probably want to think twice about the extent to which you'll invest your mind (and time) in its contents.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those questions that you're not going to get a difinitive answer on. It's really about your own conscience. If you've read the Old Testament then Game of Thrones is a cake walk. Especially considering the fact that the OT is true and GOT is fiction/drama/fantasy. If I were to caution, I would say it's not for children but then again some of my animal nature dvd's aren't either...

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I know that there's already websites on this topic but there isn't a consistent opinion. Some say no - there's too much graphic sex and others say if it won't affect you, you can watch it.

*There's plenty of people on this forum who
struggle with lust and inappropriate contentography...they
have said that they watched sexually
stimulating
movies or looked at nude photos
on a regular basis.

Also...

We are told in scripture to guard our hearts,
one of the many ways to
do that would be to keep as much ungodliness from your eyes, ears and so forth.

Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your going to get varied answers on this. I watched the first season, but by the second season I really felt convicted about watching it. I could deal with the blood and gore, but the crazy amount of swearing and nudity was to much for me. It was threw in there just for ratings. Obviously the gore was toooooo but at least the gore was more of a realistic thing since when you live in a world like that and have swords, its gonna be bloody. I loved the show Dexter and Hannibal despite the fact they were gory. But even with didn't like the nudity and swearing.

Now the bible does say to fill your mind with what is good and not what is bad. And I agree, though I do still watch things I probably shouldn't. I think you have to step back and ask yourself is what you watch affecting you? Like do you swear now? DO you sexualize women more? DO you want to see more gore? If your changing then I'd prbably not watch it. Some people can watch things and not be affected.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought it was a fantasy novel. Anyway..not really my thing..if theres something that cause me to doubt if its good for me, i dont watch...or read.
Usually the holy spirit will nudge you in one direction or another convicting you if its not what you should be exposed to.

Its not necessarily the sex and violence but the way its presented, i mean in many stories you know sex and violence may happen as part of the story but they dont go into gory detail of it, or glorify it. Most good stories actually have morals you can learn from..eg cautionary tales.but if the morals in a story are dubious, then its not good.

Dont let stories that make evil out to be a good thing and good things to be evil influence your thinking. Thats just perverse.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I actually know quite a few traditional Catholics and Eastern Orthodox's who watch GoT. I really only watched the first season myself, afterwards it seemed as if they intentionally tried to throw in as much sex as possible which is why I stopped watching. IMO there is a difference still between inappropriate content and the sex in GoT (even though the lines could seem blurred at times).

Not to be one of "those people", but the books are far better than the show. Far less sex and cursing (especially in the first 3 books).

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I Thought this was a video game and didn't even realize it was a series also. I think you need to realize that Jesus told us to flee from sin. We aren't suppose to play with it or see just how much we can compromise with it. It isn't something to play with or make concessions to. We are to take it seriously because we serve the Lord now and not just ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I Thought this was a video game and didn't even realize it was a series also. I think you need to realize that Jesus told us to flee from sin. We aren't suppose to play with it or see just how much we can compromise with it. It isn't something to play with or make concessions to. We are to take it seriously because we serve the Lord now and not just ourselves.

Exactly.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This should be a no-brainer for disciples of Christ. The clear and obvious answer is "Absolutely not!" But, then, it seems most of the people who have weighed in on this question put their own preferences before the command of God's Word.

Psalms 101:3-4
3 I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will not know wickedness.

Ephesians 5:3-4
3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 5:8-12
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.
12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

It's a testament to how morally-compromised many "Christians" are these days that there is not on this thread a unanimous condemnation of this soft-inappropriate content series by people who claim to be Christ's disciples.

Selah.

This.

Upvote 0

David4223

Matthew 11:28
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
Lancaster, NY
✟128,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a cleanup, if your post is missing please review the forum's Statement of Purpose before posting again.

This is not a debate area -- this is a place for advice and support.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

AphroditeGoneAwry

Dec 2, 2012
Montana
Visit site
✟9,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No.

Once you stop watching TV you realize when you DO ever see it again just how offensive and sinful and against God it is.

Satan is the prince of the air and that includes air WAVES. All signals transmitted with waves are in his domain. All images are against Commandment 2 of the decagon. Images and air put together equal TV and the internet. Mix in sexual immorality, and if the devil could [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] he would, every time you tune in to G of T or any other drivel like that. Anything that does not glorify God is drivel.

Upvote 0