Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
my mom got brainwashed by one of
her christian friends and she thinks The Beatles
are bad for me and for
the whole family

I guess she doesn't think you should read Harry Potter books either. That's the kind of legalistic nit-picking that makes religious believers like her look silly.

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
I guess she doesn't think you should read Harry Potter books either. That's the kind of legalistic nit-picking that makes religious believers like her look silly.

Harry Potter is different. That, I can see why Christian parents wouldn't want their children to read.

Upvote 0

Just_Anton

Nov 30, 2010
South Africa, Cape Town
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
are bad for me and for
the whole family (third persons)
and she wants me to
stop listening to em, what should I do?

My answer to this can go both ways
I personally don't think it is wrong to listen to the Beatles but if it makes you stumble or sin then I would suggest not to listen to them.
Pray about it and see what God tells you.

What does the Bible say:

Romans 14: 14-16 ( and if others believer is distressed by what you eat you are not acting in love if you eat it.)

Paul do talk about eating but you can use this in many different ways.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Qyöt27;56168338 said:
Also, Lennon's quote was taken completely out of context. In its original framing, it was a simple commentary on how crazy people had gotten over them, and seemed more like noting that the public's priorities were more than a little messed up. If I remember correctly, the interview where he said it was met without controversy...it was like a year and a half later that someone from a U.S. radio station played the sound byte without any lead-up and that's what made people go on a record-burning spree.

I mean, heck, Christians that believe in all the 'culture war' stuff have said worse things than that quote by John Lennon.

I will second this as being the correct explanation.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
are bad for me and for
the whole family (third persons)
and she wants me to
Well, if you live under her roof, you abide by her rules. I've got nothing against the Beatles, I listen to about three of their songs, and I appreciate what they did to rock and roll. But if your mom says no, then you respect that. You can try to convince her otherwise, but don't be disrespectful. It sucks alot, I know. I argue with my mom about my musical taste alot, but you have to keep it respectful, no matter how much it sucks, and no matter how much you're right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

Indebted

Somewhat old topic, but I can't believe no one has said any of this..

Alright, let me tell you this...

If knowing, that a portrait of Aleister Crowley (whom many dub the master Satanist of the 20th century) was on the cover of Sargeant Pepper.. would you still listen to the Beatles? There are many middle-eastern gurus, Freemasons, etc. on there as well. I'm not too sure if it's true, but even Hitler was supposed to be on it but it was deemed too controversial and was taken off of it last minute.

Paul McCartney said of Sgt. Pepper's cover, ". . . we were going to have photos on the wall of all our HEROES . . ." (Musician, Special Collectors Edition, - Beatles and Rolling Stones, 1988, p.12).

Did you know or catch that in the song Revolution, the lyrics are... "But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out? ...In?" The "In" is clearly in the song, a beat after the "out". Go and listen to it now.

I was going to mention My Sweet Lord, too, I am glad you brought it up, If Not For Grace.

What seems to be a catchy pop tune for the general Christian, is quite a trick that Harrison used to suck you in for another purpose. Here are the lyrics:

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to see you
Really want to be with you
Really want to see you lord
But it takes so long, my lord

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to know you
Really want to go with you
Really want to show you lord
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

My sweet lord (hallelujah)
Hm, my lord (hallelujah)

I really want to see you
Really want to see you
Really want to see you, lord
Really want to see you, lord
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My, my, my lord (hallelujah)

I really want to know you (hallelujah)
Really want to go with you (hallelujah)
Really want to show you lord (aaah)
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

Hmm (hallelujah)
My, my, lord (hallelujah)

Hm, my lord (hare krishna)
My, my, my lord (hare krishna)
Oh hm, my sweet lord (krishna, krishna)
Oh-uuh-uh (hare hare)

Now, I really want to see you (hare rama)
Really want to be with you (hare rama)
Really want to see you lord (aaah)
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My, my, my lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (krishna krishna)
My lord (hare hare)
Hm, hm (Gurur Brahma)
Hm, hm (Gurur Vishnu)
Hm, hm (Gurur Devo)
Hm, hm (Maheshwara)
My sweet lord (Gurur Sakshaat)
My sweet lord (Parabrahma)
My, my, my lord (Tasmayi Shree)
My, my, my, my lord (Guruve Namah)
My sweet lord (Hare Rama)

[fade:]

(hare krishna)
My sweet lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (krishna krishna)
My lord (hare hare)

Notice how the first part of the song is nice and fine, plenty of Hallelujahs floating around. Now take a look at the bold part. Hmm.. Hare Krishna? What is that? Well it's part of a mantra meant to praise the Hinduistic 'god of creation', Vishnu. Harrison gives his thoughts..

"A mantra is mystical energy encased in a sound structure and each mantra contains within its vibrations a certain power. But of all mantras, the maha-mantra (the Hare Krishna mantra) has been prescribed as the easiest and surest way for attaining God Realization in this present age."
George Harrison (1943-2001),
in his autobiography :'I, me and Mine'

Another example is the cover of the 'Butchered' album, Yesterday And Today. The photo displays the Beatles covered in white butcher coats, covered in slabs of raw meat, butchered baby doll parts, and false teeth. The photographer has his explanation.. take it how you will.

It is known that many of the Beatles' songs were used for Illuminati mind-control experiments.

I could go on for awhile, but I think you get the gist of it. If you think the song is worth listening to, that's up to you.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The great thing about good art is that it is ambiguious-Most songwriters, playwrites, & even painters want to convey and image & yet it is up to the observer as to what she takes away from it.

"A mantra is mystical energy encased in a sound structure and each mantra contains within its vibrations a certain power. But of all mantras, the maha-mantra (the Hare Krishna mantra) has been prescribed as the easiest and surest way for attaining God Realization in this present age."

This was George's take on it, but he does not define God for you/me. Attaining revelation or realization, seems to be a worthy goal in my book.

THE NAMES OF GOD
OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD
ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1 meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might. ADONAI......Malachi 1:6 meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God. JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4 a reference to God's divine salvation. JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13 meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier" JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1 meaning "The Lord my shepherd" JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35 meaning "The Lord who is present" JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26 meaning "The Lord our healer" JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6 meaning "The Lord our righteousness" JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14 meaning "The Lord will provide" JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15 meaning "The Lord our banner" JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24 meaning "The Lord is peace" JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3 meaning "The Lord of Hosts" JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6 meaning "The God of Recompense" EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14 meaning "The most high God EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13 meaning "The strong one who sees" EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1 meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty" EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31 meaning "The everlasting God"
There are many names or References for "God". You can make something dirty/holy
based on your perspective.

When I hear/sing "My Sweet Lord" I assure you it has nothing to do w/an eastern religion. Just Like When I sing/hear "I want to hold your hand" has nothing to do with some girl. :)

It's like when Paul said I can be all things to all people-Just because he could relate to people as a Jew (which he was) did not change his christian (which he was) beliefs. Because he was a Lawyer (Pharisee) did not change his tent making skills.

All fruit has nutritional value, how you "cook" it is up to up-(Raw is best):)

Try Kid Rock "Rock & Roll Jesus" if you want a jolt.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
my mom got brainwashed by one of her christian friends and she thinks The Beatles
are bad for me and for the whole family (third persons)and she wants me to

Tell her you have become a fan of the Rolling Stones--:) (Her "Christian" friends w/likey take that as a worse decision & then they'll all be happy for you to return to the Beatles).
largeputland.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
Google Earth Coords: 39-48 N 75-04 W
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lennon's quote was taken out of context. Even though Lennon was very hostile to religion, in this case, he was innocent. All he meant was that he didn't understand why kids adored them the way they did, but ignored more important things, in this case, Christ's teachings. Now, granted, he was looking at Christ from a Humanist perspective, that Christ was just a good moral teacher but in spite of that, he still made a good point.

the article in question may've taken lennon's sentiment out of context, but lennon proved to be a lifelong promoter of atheism, recording the response to dylan's "gotta serve somebody" entitled "serve yourself" in the late 70s close to the time of his death. i am a big beatles fan however.

Upvote 0

nowheregirl

Oct 7, 2011
✟15,114.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*facelpalm* good lord people....It's the Beatles. If you go to hell for listening to them then Hell's going to need to have same major expansion done to fit everyone in.
Thank you.
The Beatles are awesome. Also, who exactly decides what music is "okay to listen to"?
No one. It's all opinion.

Upvote 0

nowheregirl

Oct 7, 2011
✟15,114.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*facepalm*
Not to be rude, but do you believe any crackpot theory you read?
As for Sgt. Pepper's: Jesus and Hitler were going to be included as well, but do you really think their hero was Hitler? Get real.
As for Revolution: Lennon simply couldn't decide what he thought sounded better.
As for "My Sweet Lord": Harrison never claimed to be a Christian. He was a member of the Hare Krishna religion. His whole point with the "hallelujah/ Hare Krishna" thing was to show that it's all the same God. He said, "It doesn't matter what you call Him, as long as you call". Now you probably don't agree with that, but it certainly isn't trying to trick anyone.
As for Illuminati mind-control experiments: I'm not even going to dignify this with an explanation.

Upvote 0

Jeffersonian

Soli Deo Gloria
Mar 18, 2009
Santo Domingo
Visit site
✟7,910.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
i used to like them before but the more my love for the Lord grows ( because of his amazing grace, of course), i find them very strange to listen to them since i feel they promote a lifestyle where God cant fit. for most secular music, is all about us, and that's the kind of thoughts im trying to separate myself from.

Upvote 0