Is it God's will for someone to be blind?

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Just wondering. There i s a belief amongst some, both priests and laity, that if something happens to someone, like for instance going blind, it is God's will. I am wondering what you all think on this. I would like an open discussion on this, and please, do not be afraid of hurting me. I want you to say what you think. I am wrestling with it and would love input into my own thoughts. Thanks

Reactions: Gabriel Anton

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My brother is profoundly deaf. Is it God's will for him to be deaf? I don't know. He certainly feels unlucky and has told me as much. He has gone through periods of extreme envy. "You don't know what its like to be deaf!", he would often say. And he is right. We don't. The rest of us can enjoy music and ironically it is one of my favourite hobbies. How lucky I am!
At the time he was born there was no Rubella vaccine. Mum got German measles and that caused the disability in pregnancy.
But he has mellowed a lot as he gets older. He has less resentment and seems to have come to terms with it. Interestingly I think he has a faith of sorts, though doesn't go to Mass. He often uses prayerful language in his written communication with me. I think deafness has given him a unique insight into life. His other senses above average too. His eyesight is amazing!
But I suppose deafness is a very different disability to blindness, Anjelica.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I don't know , Anjelica.

My initial thoughts are that God wills nothing which causes suffering to His children .

I also think that God can use the suffering of His children for their benefit .

Thanks for starting this thread .

I hope it will be one of those which leads to some in-depth thinking .

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If I can just add, there is a difference between being born with a disability and acquiring it later in life. For you Anjelica, perhaps your pain is greater than someone who is born blind. You know exactly what you are missing. My brother has never experienced "hearing". He wouldn't be able to recognize the sounds, if he could suddenly hear now.

Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peace be with you.

Your health problem is not something that is easy to solve and also not something you can just say it is God's Will for someone to be blind.

I will demonstrate. There are physical laws in effect that determine physical health especially those laws that are within the control of an individual to live within it's confinement.

Take a person who loves to eat. It is known that if one loves to eat too much, to eat all kinds of food whether good or bad, that one can get fat and one can get disease and one can get a stroke and one can get their blood vessels blocked and one can get a heart attack and one can die prematurely.

Now if that person who loves to eat gets diseased, is it appropriate to say that person's disease is God's Will? Could the disease have been brought about by the person's conduct in regards to their love of food?

In a case of going blind, if you are in perfect bodily health and devoted to God and suddenly you become blind through some strange occurrence, then there is high probability it is God's Will.

Read the Book of Tobit in the Holy Scriptures. It deals with blindness.

God bless you.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Thanks Colin. Yes God can and has used my suffering both for my own benefit and the benefit of others. That is because I was open to that.

I too have some bad feelings though, at times. Not exactly resentment but envy maybe.
Speaking generally , Anjelica , I don't think anyone is physically , mentally , emotionally or spiritually 100% A1 .

We live in a fallen state , and we are all damaged beings .

Again , how this fits in with God's will , I have no ready-made answers . I don't see the full picture . Like you , but in a different area of my being , my vision is limited , and whether in this life I will see the answers is presently beyond me .

Being a lover of music , Anjelica , you might like to listen to one of my favourite Christian singers , Don Francisco . This is one of his songs , it's about Jesus' curing of the blind mind . Sorry it doesn't give any answers , but you might enjoy listening to it .

Don Francisco- "Since I Met Him"......

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,394.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think this is one of the questions we really can't answer .

We say God's plan for us, as individuals, has been made , but at the same time He gave us free will to either accept it or not .

Was it His will that someone who had never had any serious illness should develop a serious condition that proved to be untreatable ?

You were tested with Cancer - you are in remission, for which you thank God every day , but at the same time the drugs used to put you into remission [ i.e. save your life ] have had some very unwelcome side effects - one of which is your rapidly diminishing sight. Did He will for you to lose your sight ? None of us - even you , can answer that.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thankyou all for your kind responses. I want to say more later, but I just want to say that one of my priests says it is God's will. But Anhelyna, even he cannot say maybe? I don't know.

What I DO most utterly believe is that it is what you DO with it that is important. I will say more later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

newlightseven

In the confessional
Site Supporter
May 21, 2016
North Carolina
Visit site
✟46,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think every situation is different. I mean, it was God's will for Saul to be blinded for a short period of time. As he himself said once, it was not his mother or father who sin to cause someone to be blind, but that the power of God may be made manifest. So the blind will be able to experience the salvation and healing of Jesus in a way that people who aren't blind can't understand when Jesus opens their eyes in his kingdom.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Colin, that song was amazing. Thankyou. It thrilled my heart.

One thing that I am not, is bitter. In many ways my blindness has i can see Him. I can see the things of the Zspirit. I am not distracted by physical things of the earth. given me a deep peace and joy and happiness, because I can "see" in a different way. I am able to give thanks becausebit has given me something beautiful that I didn't have before.

But that brings me to your link to Liurdes, Zcolin, that I clicked on last night at almost midnight. There was a Mass taking place and it was beautiful..I will tell you the story of what happened in a few moments as I can't type a lot at once.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts go back to that blind priest at the end of the film 'Into Great Silence'. He seemed to think it was God who had blinded him and he was at peace with it. He thought it was for his own good. I see a lot of you, anjelica, in that blind priest.

Like I said, I'm having a hard time accepting this. Your name was written again in our book of prayers yesterday, and today I prayed for you and your sight specifically before the tabernacle after mass. So, for some reason, I haven't given up. God's will or not.

So many times people will pass off tragedy as God's will. I have a hard time accepting that. I have a hard time believing that God would intentionally cause any of His children to suffer. Suffering to me is more of a result of our fallen nature. I know at one time blindness was seen as a special blessing from God. Listening to the blind monk, maybe it is, but this is a tough one.

Still praying for you and your eyes.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Who knows the mind of God? Would God inflict someone with an illness etc?

God is all loving and caring. I think that maybe God will permit someone to suffer if they ask for it or maybe if it will benefit their soul?

I know you have seen this quote before angelica:

Mosy happy he/she who suffers most if it be for Christ............St Teresa of Avila

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow, all of you. Your posts all cause me to think a lot, which I was doing anyway, but I wante the input of others too. I want to go back to each one of your posts and reply to them properly, but the blindness makes it hard. I am going to though, but it may be later this evening.

OK I will just tell you about that link to Lourdes that Colin posted. I am using my voice recognition now so I hope my post comes out okay. Like I said it was almost midnight and I could not sleep and for some reason I felt to click on that link. I was so surprised to see a mass going on. It was about halfway through and I watched it to the end. As I was watching it the thought came to me that I did not have to be there to find any kind of healing, either spiritual or physical. It was like all I had to do was touch the hem of his garment. I could watch the mass and to be healed there and then if I stretched out my hand. This was an odd thing for me, But as I watched, something told me to focus on the picture with both eyes. Normally and naturally I focus with just my right eye because it is the stronger one. Even doing that I still cannot see but I can see in a kind of white Blai because it is the stronger one. Even doing that I still cannot see but I can see in a kind of white blur. I found that I could focus with both eyes with difficulty but I managed to do it all the way through the mass. I was convinced that by the end of the mass I would be able to see a little clearer. But I could not. I wondered what had happened. It did not matter to me that my site has not returned. I was happy just to see the mass.

However I remembered that next Tuesday our priest is holding a healing mass for disabled and sick people. I had had no intentions of going. However something now said to me that I might go. I still do not know whether I will go or not as I do have a commitment that day. But I am thinking about it.

After watching the mass I started to think about gods will and that priests words that my blindness was the will of God and I wondered whether I should simply be going to that mass for strengthening rather than for physical healing. For me is it a miracle takes place inside ou is it miracle takes place inside of us and does not necessarily have to be physical. I struggled most of the night with thoughts about gods will and whether it is his will for me to have physical site or whether it is right for me to simply receive inner strengthening.

I had a lot to think about because there are many ways in which my blindness has been a wonderful blessing to those myself and others. My priest would say that it is gods will for me to be blind. Yet this is the priest who is doing the healing mass. During the night I wrote a letter to him because I needed to express all these thoughts and struggles to him. I did not give him the letter because he is a busy priest. And so these thoughts and struggles are still going on inside of me and I decided to pose the question to my fellow Catholics for discussion.

I may go to the mass next week or I may not. It all depends on whether or not I can cancel my previous commitment. But I found it very interesting what happened to me as I was watching the mass from Lourdes. I hope that I have expressed this properly because speaking into the iPad tends to stop my brain working properly.

I would like if you would all please continue to discuss this with me, not that we will get any definitive answers but I feel the discussion could be good and helpful. Thank you all so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Its a cross for you to carry. If you are to be healed then that is by Gods Grace. Maybe, you are going through this for others.

Do you say 'May God's will be done?'

You seem like a truly faithful follower of Jesus. Jesus knows this. Mary knows this.

Like i said before, if i could swap place then you could have my sight! Truly i mean it! But, its by God's will that we are cured, changed or set on a certain path in life. Crosses can come in all sizes. To suffer for God would be the ultimate sacrifice.

God will help you. I am sure he wants you to call on him all the time. To talk to him and to share your troubles. You were directed to the Lourdes website. I often click on that.

I love Lourdes though. I really want to go back there! I have been there 3 times now. Fantastic place!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,394.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Anjelica

My Spiritual Father used to say he'd never known anyone who'd been to Lourdes as a pilgrim , whether they were sick or not [ i.e. were helpers for the sick ] who returned home the same person as the one who had gone.

He said Lourdes just did have that effect on people. Many went hoping for physical healing - and were not granted it , but all seem to receive spiritual strengthening

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Anjelica

My Spiritual Father used to say he'd never known anyone who'd been to Lourdes as a pilgrim , whether they were sick or not [ i.e. were helpers for the sick ] who returned home the same person as the one who had gone.

He said Lourdes just did have that effect on people. Many went hoping for physical healing - and were not granted it , but all seem to receive spiritual strengthening

Very true indeed. The place is so special

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you both. Yes I know that Lord's is a very special place and that physical healing is not always what is important but a spiritual strengthening. I am unable to go to the woods myself but I can go to the healing mass. I have reservations about such masses but somehow or other I feel the time may be meant to go to this one.

I do pray all the time for God's will to be done and if it is to remain blind I accept it. I would never have thought even of asking for healing. I did believe that it was my cross to bear and also that it was redemptive for both me and others. Although I have felt afraid and sometimes envious of others and grief and sadness I have still been able to accept this as my cross. However I pray only for God's will Bikas I know that he alone knows what is best for me. I believe in making pain and suffering creative and not allowing it to destroy me. It is not easy to bear along with not being able to walk and not having anyone to push me in a wheelchair or look after me but I still accept what I ha and try to be positive and to use it for the good and not The bad. I felt confused about this healing mass but it can do me no harm and I will simply pray for God's will to be done if I do go.

Upvote 0