• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is It A Sin to Take Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lfoxx

Dec 2, 2005
Houston
✟15,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi forum I am so happy that there is a forum with this topic. I myself have add. I have been taking Adderall for almost a year and a half. I also am taking other meds too. But I always wondered if it was a sin. The medication that I take is the same one that teenagers take to stay awake and pay attention in class however I know that it can be taken as a stimulent as well. I have always wondered if God would be disspleased with me because I take a medicine that I feel I need. I cant imagine what life would be like without it. My job perfession would be almost impossible. I know through God all is possble. I know this because I was an alchoholic for over 5 years and only by the grace of God have I sworn it off because of what it was doing to my life and marriage. Sometimes I feel that the medication is a stmulant and even addicting sm I wrong for thinking that? :scratch:

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe it's wrong the reason why you take yours is the same reason I take my Ritalin to be chemicaly balanced now if believe people shouldn't take medication period that's fine and different discussion entirely but I think the big problem is the disorder is misunderstood. Here is good example it would be like telling some one who is bipolar to just deal with it.

Upvote 0

kayd1966

Don't just listen to the Word...Do what it says.
Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
no

If you had a heart condition, would you take your heart medication? If you had diabetes, would you take your insulin? People tend to believe that if its a 'mental' condition then we should just deal with it but if its a 'physical' health problem then medications, surgeries, research, etc are fine.:scratch:

Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lfoxx said:
Hi forum I am so happy that there is a forum with this topic. I myself have add. I have been taking Adderall for almost a year and a half. I also am taking other meds too. But I always wondered if it was a sin. The medication that I take is the same one that teenagers take to stay awake and pay attention in class however I know that it can be taken as a stimulent as well. I have always wondered if God would be disspleased with me because I take a medicine that I feel I need. I cant imagine what life would be like without it. My job perfession would be almost impossible. I know through God all is possble. I know this because I was an alchoholic for over 5 years and only by the grace of God have I sworn it off because of what it was doing to my life and marriage. Sometimes I feel that the medication is a stmulant and even addicting sm I wrong for thinking that? :scratch:
Don't ever let anyone tell you that medicine is bad. Medicine doesn't cure you, it just aids the body in healing or maintaining itself. But we want to develop our faith for ultimate healing. So in the meantime, take your meds in the Name of Jesus, and it will work twice as good. Rev.Duane.

Upvote 0

aspie2x

Nov 20, 2005
Adelaide
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the bible Luke was a Dr and Im sure they had some sort of herbal medications that were used for Various conditions. You are taking medication for the right reasons. You are not abusing it like some teenagers do ( you mentioned) Dont let people, or your own thoughts condemn you. You are brave in recongising and accepting that there is an imbalance that can be helped by medication.
3 Cheers to you.!! :cool:

Upvote 0

Psalmangel

Dec 29, 2005
✟333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
aspie2x said:
In the bible Luke was a Dr and Im sure they had some sort of herbal medications that were used for Various conditions. You are taking medication for the right reasons. You are not abusing it like some teenagers do ( you mentioned) Dont let people, or your own thoughts condemn you. You are brave in recongising and accepting that there is an imbalance that can be helped by medication.
3 Cheers to you.!! :cool:

Though not all medication work as they should. I used take med for my ADD and it had some nasty affects on me. I began to feel like i was under a lot of emotional pressure. i felt tensed. I'm not saying it's a sin, I'm saying, not all med is perfect, because it's man-made, and we must remember that man is not perfect. But, like the rev said... or don't take the med and be heal in Jesus' name. No matter how you do it, in Jesus' name, it will heal. Take the med or not, in Jesus' name, it will heal or be turned to your advantage. A weakness can also be turned to strength... like the Lord has done with Paul.
Give him Praises... Praise the Lord

Upvote 0

justafayes

Dec 4, 2005
West Virginia
✟867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lfoxx said:
We all need dr's and meds at times. God uses Dr's to help us,, of course we want to pray first then go to the dr.. in other words,, put God first then the meds and Drs second.

I agree with the post where they said if we have heart trouble, or diabetes it's fine to take meds, but people think when there's a mental illness,, just deal with it.

I would think God prepared the way for you to have your prescriptions.. yes,, they have said some meds are addicting,, that's why we take our dr's advice and do what they say.. If you are taking them as directed, fine,, but if you are abusing them for other than the original purpose,, then that is a problem.. search your heart,, you became free from alcohol,, don't let the devil bind you with abusing your meds.. again,, take them as the dr. prescribed,,, Love in the Lord,, Faye

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.