Is it a sin to listen to Secular music? Or is it bad?

ellieshay

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a Christian, and I love Jesus a lot. I also really enjoy listening to music. Music usually puts me in a good mood, and I enjoy singing/ writing music.

What I am wondering..., Is it a sin to listen to secular music?
I have read posts online about this topic. Some say no, some say yes.
I understand that it is bad to listen to stuff that tempts you to sin, or that is openly boasting about sinful behavior (drinking, lust, etc)
but what if the lyrics aren't bad?
I personally love r&b. I like Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Usher, Mario Winans, Rihanna, and others.
I know there are some songs by them, that aren't positive messages, but what about the love songs that aren't well... raunchy. Haha
I have tried listening to Christian music, and don't get me wrong, the message they sing about is so important and amazing, but just the overall sound and style of it isn't really appealing to me. Is it wrong that I don't like it? I have mostly only listened to the mainstream Christian artists, people like (Newsboys, Lauren Daigle, Third Day) and I really just don't enjoy the music. I have been searcing underground music, and it is a lot more appealing to my tastes. Thing is, I still love secular music.
Back to my question is it wrong to listen to?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are 2 kinds of sins: absolute and relative.

To give you examples, [using "bad thing" as substitute for sin]

Is robbing a bank a bad thing? Absolutely yes.
Is driving a car a bad thing? It is a relative yes. If you are 5 years old, yes it is bad. If you are 16 and have passed your drivers ed, got your license and insurance, then it is NOT a bad thing but a good thing.

So an absolute sin is something sinful for everyone at all times. A relative sin is something that may be sinful in some situations but not others.

Secular music IMO can be a relative sin. Certainly any songs that incite us to drug use, lust or violence are not good. But if you can hear them and not be swayed into sinful behavior, then I believe it is not a sin.

And no - the fact that you do not like certain mainstream christian acts is certainly understandable. They often fall short in their efforts. The underground indie christian stuff is often better. And over the last 30 years it seems the mainstream has gotten worse.

So back to your question: is it wrong or sinful to listen to secular music? IMO it is not; as long as it does not draw you away from the Lord or entice you into sinful behaviors and attitudes.

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Depends on what it's trying to say. There is some really awful stuff out there but there is good stuff as well.
Stay away from music that promotes violence and adultery and also music that has bad language.
I listen to electronica and trance because it's good for exercise.

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,526.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm very fond of 'Wovenhand'. A band of David Eugene Edwards who was lead singer of 16 horepower. It isn't R&B but still very good and he is a christian and wants to share the gospel through his music. Hey DaveW-Ohev do you perhaps know them?

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
If listening to secular music is a sin, then I am doomed and will be taking my David Arkenstone cds with me!
But like my Mom told my teen aged self - it is ok to listen to Alice Cooper as long as you don't try to live your life by his lyrics. Music is for relaxation and entertainment - rarely to live your life by.

(*typed while wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt -- LOL*)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I know, but when I was a teen he was still a wild child.
Yeah - me too. I was a sophomore in high-school when he hit the charts with "I'm 18."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

3angels

Sep 25, 2015
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian, and I love Jesus a lot. I also really enjoy listening to music. Music usually puts me in a good mood, and I enjoy singing/ writing music.

I have read posts online about this topic. Some say no, some say yes.
I understand that it is bad to listen to stuff that tempts you to sin, or that is openly boasting about sinful behavior (drinking, lust, etc)
but what if the lyrics aren't bad?
I personally love r&b. I like Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Usher, Mario Winans, Rihanna, and others.
I know there are some songs by them, that aren't positive messages, but what about the love songs that aren't well... raunchy. Haha
I have tried listening to Christian music, and don't get me wrong, the message they sing about is so important and amazing, but just the overall sound and style of it isn't really appealing to me. Is it wrong that I don't like it? I have mostly only listened to the mainstream Christian artists, people like (Newsboys, Lauren Daigle, Third Day) and I really just don't enjoy the music. I have been searcing underground music, and it is a lot more appealing to my tastes. Thing is, I still love secular music.
Back to my question is it wrong to listen to?

Just like how our taste buds can become perverted through the continual eating of unhealthy foods, which makes us desire less the healthy and wholesome foods, our appetite for Godly music can become warped through the constant stimulation of worldly music. So, when we try to listen to the Godly music, it becomes difficult because our senses have become corrupted. It takes time and the process is gradual, but must be consistent in order for you to retrain your spiritual nature to enjoy the style of music that edifies the soul and draws one near to God.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What kind of of music do you like? (Give me a few genres and artists) I may be able to help you find something that is spiritual in the underground that you would like. I also dislike Christian pop on the radio...I appreciate the lyrics sometimes but musically I find it tacky or just boring.

If you're struggling with your faith, I would definitely try and stay away music that would tempt you with sin, or feed a state of anger or something like that. I wouldn't ever really encourage music involving sinful matters, but if one is strong in their faith, sometimes listening to unwholesome music can be a positive learning experience/encouragement (in a round about way).
For example, from time to time I enjoy a Gangsta Rap duo called "UGK"...there's almost nothing spiritually redeeming about their music. However, 1- learning how disgusting/evil people can be can be a driving force to want to be more of a shining light in a world so dark; and 2-(more importantly) they do talk about religion/spirituality a little bit in some of their songs, so you can learn how they understand/view religion and then be able to formulate how to encourage an individual (in real life) who may be from a similar background of growing up or understanding of religion, and hence help them to find God and leave certain lifestyles behind.
Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

W_McCarthy

Aug 31, 2015
✟19,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it is then singing Happy Birthday is wrong.

Can't really help ya with any gospel R & B but it's gotta be out there.Too bad you don't listen to country or bluegrass... There's quite a bit a talent in that scene, and a lot of it does glorify God
Or classical guitar, try listening to Christopher Parkening while falling to sleep.

Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I listen to some but not much. I am a musician, so this hits close to home. I can listen to any band I want to. Even Slayer if I felt like it. The devil in anything isnt going to affect me much.
But in most cases listening to secular music is like eating junk food. A little won't hurt but eat a pound of Ho Ho's and you'll feel aweful. Same goes with secular music. It can bring you down when the lyrics are all about sin.
"Love" of course is a term used in music mostly to refer to sex, but the catch 22 for Satan is that when a secular artist sings about love (in a positive way) then it unmeaningly refers to God's LOVE which is really all we need.

Much of the issue is what the music means to you. If it leads to negative or non-loving thoughts and behaviors then ya,...for you it's a sin. Same issue as eating meat sacrificed to idols. The question is :what does the idol really mean to you?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Here is one from a group most Christians would call Satanic, and honestly I would not consider that over the top for the rest of their stuff (well at least the rest on the album this was on, that is all I am sure of).

But this song is one many Christians would benefit from hearing.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
One thing that always bugs me with this topic and those that think listening to secular music is bad or a sin. They miss a lot of great secular music that has no lyrics! There is no bad language or images to deal with. And it isn't all old stuff - many classical pieces were not written for the church - but many artists get lumped into the "new age" category which seems to scare some people off. I love classical music and I love the work of Vangelis, Kitaro, David Arkenstone, Jean Michel Jarre, Lindsey Stirling, David Garrett. Judah Banke, Kaiserain Rebecca and many other artists.

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,526.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If it is then singing Happy Birthday is wrong.

Can't really help ya with any gospel R & B but it's gotta be out there.Too bad you don't listen to country or bluegrass... There's quite a bit a talent in that scene, and a lot of it does glorify God
Or classical guitar, try listening to Christopher Parkening while falling to sleep.
Hey. Can you give me some country and/or bluegrass tips? I'm curious about it. Thanks.

Upvote 0