Denver
✟15,265.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But I wouldn't suggest anyone listen them...
if it is actualy good music, then why not?

christians are not required to shut themselves off to other ideas.

Iron Maiden rox- and I am a christian that listens to them all the time.

Upvote 0

Skilletdude

Aug 20, 2006
California
✟8,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well... there ARE bands out there that make good music but I would still advise not listening to them. I think you have to walk cautiously... you don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water. But I don't think you should be accepting of everything either. I don't think Iron Maiden is that bad at all though, especially when compared to 90% of the popular artists that get constant air time on the radio today.

Upvote 0

JC_Crust

Jun 12, 2010
oklahoma
✟7,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
thx you.

non-believers may have a fanciful fascination with Satan. they may have this same fascination with greek mythology. that doesnt mean they believe it.

exactly. i dont believe much of what secular music i listen to. if they're good, they're good.

Upvote 0

The Fourth Horseman

Logic is my god
Nov 24, 2010
✟7,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Iron Maiden was formed when bands were being called satanic but nobody was actually a satanist in those days. It wasn't until arguable the early 80's that any band could be considered an actual open satanic band the only example I can think of are Venom and Hellhammer.

So besides being in the wrong time frame Iron Maiden has never been or ever will be satanic.

Upvote 0

Cameron28

Jun 5, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First want to say that Iron Maiden is my favorite bamd of all time. That being said I can see where people would think that Iron Maiden is a satanic bamd and thats at the cover but havent we all heard dont judge a book by its cover? I believe thats exactly what people did and they never actually listened to the band. The person mainly depicted on the cover is a charcater named eddie who in the early days of the band was created by an art student who was friends with the band and made a skeleton head from paper mache. Then the man who made the bands cover art expanded on that idea and eddie was born and given the name because the band came to called it eddie the head from an old british joke. But anyways on to the music the main inspirers of the bands song are usually movies, books, historical events, and in some cases dreams like one of their most famous songs number of the beast. Expanding on that song tyat song was based on a dream the lead singer bruce dickinson had but was expanded on as you can hear in the beginning of the song an eerie voice talking about the number of the beast. Im not sure about the first sentence but the second is a quote from the Bible itself im not sure of the exact verso but it says "Let him who have understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number, its number is 666." so that is a reference to the devil but not in a celebratory manner but more of as one guy posting on here said a poking fun at critics and those calling them satanists. But going on this type of direct reference to the devil is not seen again in any of their music after this but more just talks about dark things that could be referenced to the devil if your really reaching for a connection. Later on the career of this band they're is a lot of maturing and probably from a little influence by their new drummer Nicko Mcbairn who is a born again christian, the band starts talking about humanity, war and other such things and less about demons devils and things that could be considered satanic. So earlier on in their career even I could raise an eyebrow but later on there is but a slight sniff of their old ways. On their later albums I have a very ahrd time trying to find a hint of anything satanic, much less even foul language, they are one of the few meatl bands who realized you dont have to drop an F bomb every five seconds to still make good music and I think that is what is cool about their music. They can actually make lyrics qbout things and if you listen to the lyrics there is true meaning behind them about historical events, war, and living life to the fullest NOT YOLO because that implies you have to act like an idiot but making your life meaningful in yours and others eyes. I would say though that one of their cleanest albums is the Brave New World album which has good music and I believe no foul la guage at all but dont take my word 100% because there may be one or two in there and try to get past the surface of the lyrics and dig deeper ther is a deeper meaning in these songs. Anyways if you do listen to them enjoy and everybody have a great day and God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dragul

May 13, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol no Iron Maiden is not satanic in any way they may have songs about Satan and death but if you look at the song lyrics of "the Number of the beast" you will see that it says "This can't go on I must inform the law Can this still be real or just some crazy dream? but I feel drawn towards the chanting hordes seem to mesmerise...can't avoid their eyes 6-6-6 the Number of the Beast 6-6-6 the one for you and me" The entire song is about someone going through the stages of madness he doesn't realize its real and no matter how hard he tries to resist temptation its always there and you can see he fights with himself on whether to inform people of the acts. also in Dance of Death you see the narrator get kidnapped and sent to an unholy place he has no choice but to participate and when he finally does regain himself he runs away and promises "And I'll never go dancing no more till i dance with the dead" basically he repented for dancing with death and sinning i know response is really late but Iron Maiden if anything is actually anti-satanism they aren't christian by any stretch of the imagination but they aren't branding the number to their arms and drinking the blood of innocents they are secular as for the graphics on the albums you will notice that it's Death not Satan that is depicted in the pictures and Iron which i love by the way tend to have their music on the darker side more towards insanity and paranoia not Devil worshiping

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 18, 2013
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Iron Maiden, as with most metal, is far from 'satanic'. The few metal bands that are 'satanic' are mostly black metal, and a bit of death metal. Now, there are quite a few bands that have anti-religious or pagan lyrics, but as long as you pay attention its not an issue.

For example, its okay for a a Christian to listen to Amon Amarth or Iron Maiden, as neither of them use any form of satanic, anti-religious, or pagan lyrics. (Amon Amarth sings of Norse mythology, but, they view it and sing it as mythology, not any form of religion.)

On the other hand, Christians listening to Iced Earth or Arch Enemy I would be wary of, due to anti-religious sentiments in their lyrics.

Upvote 0

Rage of Heavens

May 9, 2016
Vipava
✟15,112.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My mom keeps telling Iron Maiden is a satanic band.

She knows their lyrics speak about history, literature, and short stories. I even told her the drummer became a Christian a few years ago (which is true).

But she keeps insiting the "satanic" part come in the albums covers, which feature a "monster" names "Eddie" doing "not so Christian" acts. Yes, actually their albums feature ugly and nasty images, but I dont think that makes them satanic.

I did alot of investigation throught the internet, asking people who know and like that type of music and even on radio stations; however, I would like to hear the point of view of the Christian community.

Upvote 0

Rage of Heavens

May 9, 2016
Vipava
✟15,112.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Iron Maiden is one of the greatest bands of all and is definetly not datanic.
I think every single sign that was given by this band to be satanic is, if nothing else, nothing more than ordinary provocation, which is what rock, metal... bands are doing all the time since Presley and other classics started to play

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But she keeps insiting the "satanic" part come in the albums covers, which feature a "monster" names "Eddie" doing "not so Christian" acts.

Is she referring to The Nature of the Beast album art?

Upvote 0

MaidenFan

Dec 18, 2016
USA
✟15,201.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I like this band and their Music, I like metal.

I do not like Satanists, in any capacity. So, I was curious, are they satanic?

I think the answer is pretty much no. Is any metal band a good role model for our children, few are?

However, I think it should be pointed out that they do have a verified member who is a Christian, and the others definitely have Christian influences, and perhaps are non-practicing Christians.

Nobody seems to mention they have a song called "Hallowed Be Thy Name"?

This song is about a guy who has sinned and is awaiting his death sentence. He reflects back on his sins as he waits in a cell, and talks about the afterlife and going to Heaven. The Priest reads him his last rites, and he cries and feels sorrow about the sins he has committed, then questions his faith.

How many stories in scripture have a similar meaning?

And as for their lead singer, Bruce Dickinson, his parents are Christians and Pro-Life, as Bruce was actually an unplanned pregnancy. Bruce is also Pro-Life, and has several children himself (3). He holds a doctorate from Queen Mary University of London (Catholic school with Priests), his alma matter, and is also a licensed commercial pilot who has flown 747's professionally for airlines. With some 200+ lives in his hands each time he flies, I doubt the airline would want a Satanist taking charge of that many people's lives...

Just some thoughts, maybe not suitable for young children, but OK for adult Christians who like metal?

Upvote 0

Fred Stevens

Aug 24, 2021
Sacramento
✟15,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize that this is a very old thread. But nonetheless I found it on a search and read most of the posts, so maybe one of these days someone will read this very late entry into this discussion. I am 50 years old. I accepted Christ when I was 10. I am a mature believer. I'm also a guitarist for the last 35 years and I love hard rock. Iron Maiden has been one of my all time favorite bands ever since I first heard the "Piece of Mind."
I do not for a moment believe they are a satanic band.
What is overlooked in almost every single one of these postings is some of their really good lyrics, instead placing emphasis on a few "bad" lyrics which are not in context and frequently are misunderstood by legalistic Christians who are looking to be offended by everything so that they can virtue signal. (see e.g. The Number of the Beast) One guy got it right with "No Prayer for the Dying" but still barely caught it. So I will reproduce some additional Iron Maiden lyrics here to demonstrate the point:
1. Revelations :
"O God of Earth and altar
Bow down and hear our cry
Our earthly rulers falter
Our people drift and die
The walls of gold entomb us
The swords of scorn divide
Take not thy thunder from us
Take away our pride"

Yes, that's right, the song opens with a prayer to God.

2. Hallowed be They Name:
Mark my words believe my soul lives on
Don't worry now that I have gone
I've gone beyond to seek the truth

When you know that your time is close at hand
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Hallowed be Thy name
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Hallowed be Thy name

There they go again, acknowledging the power of God. Those darn satanists are at it again!

3. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner:
The mariner's bound to tell of his story
To tell this tale wherever he goes
To teach God's word by his own example
That we must love all things that God made

Woops. Hey Iron Maiden, the devil's gonna reject your membership in the satanic club.

Past that they have songs about history such as "Aces High" (about the Battle of Britain), The Trooper (about the charge of the light brigade), Alexander the Great (do I need to explain?), the Clansman (about William Wallace), Paschendale (WWI battle), Montségur (Cathar people were burned to death as heretics after refusing to renounce their faith), The Longest Day (D-Day invasion). I'm sure I have missed several. Is there something "satanic" about reciting history?

Add to all of this the fact that there is musical excellence in their playing. Listen to "Flash of the Blade" from the Powerslave record. Listen to the multiple layers of harmonies in the guitars. Its a gorgeous display of music skill which is often lacking in hard rock music. I'm not hearing any of that excellence out of Skillet or TFK, and most of those bands' songs aren't any more overtly religious than Iron Maiden's. I do like me some TFK and Skillet, I'm just checking on double standards.

Honestly, in Iron Maiden's most spiritual moments I find them more sincere and moving than many a Chris Tomlin song, and vastly better than most of the trite contemporary Christian music that has come out in the 2018-2021 period. So....Iron Maiden...are they sinners? Absolutely. So am I. Are they satanists? No. Unless to be a sinner makes you a satanist, which surely cannot be the case. Sin is the work of satan in my life for which I was given eternal grace through the sacrifice made by God when he humbled himself to become a man and died on the cross. I won't judge Iron Maiden, I'll leave that up to God. But I sure enjoy most of their songs!

If you want some good music with deep spiritual content go listen to Similitude of a Dream by the Neal Morse Band. Then sit down with The Great Adventure. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0