Is Smoking Hookah a Sin? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on what is put in it. If it is an illegal substance, then yes it is a sin.

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God...For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:" -Rom. 13:1,3 (KJV)

"Remember them which have the rule over you,..Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." -Heb. 13:7,17 (KJV)

Since here in North Carolina it is against the law to smoke illegal substances, I cannot do it; 1) because it is against the law; 2) it is contrary to what is revealed in scripture. (See above)

And if some people have their way, even smoking tobacco will soon be illegal.

I know my position is not the popular one, and if your conscious dictates differently, fine. I just cannot myself.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Depends on what is put in it. If it is an illegal substance, then yes it is a sin.
Whether it is legal or not, smoking anything pollutes the lungs and causes irreversible damage to the body. It's a slow suicide of sorts. How can that not be sinful? Maybe I'm missing something...

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Smoking is a sin. It is different than drinking in a sense. The reason that makes it different, assuming one is not an alcoholic, is that smoking takes alot of money out of the household. That means that you are burning the family, kids etc, of necessities.

How does this make sense? Drinking takes just as much money out of the house, and it destroys families. When is the last time you've heard of a family split up because someone smoked too much? I'm sure it's happened, but at least on cigarettes you don't get high like you do off of alcohol.

It sure is different than drinking. It's better than drinking.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Boshirou

Sinner/Saint
Nov 15, 2005
Visit site
✟8,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and God commands us to take care of it, I don't see how smoking anything could not be considered sinful...
I'd just like to say that the verse is reads kinda differently in English, as we don't have different word's for “your” in the singular and plural.
I’m not sure if it retains the same meaning when read “Do you not know that your(plural) body(singular) is a temple(singular) of the Holy Spirit”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jessica Lauren

Out of The Darkness
Aug 15, 2004
Glendale, CA
✟1,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anything can lead to being a sin if you have to much of it and if you let it invade your life... like becoming addicted to it and such. But just in general, I don't believe so. Although if it harms our bodies, I do not believe God would like it.

Of course I think smoking is disgusting, but that doesn't make it a sin.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
there really doesnt need to be a debate on it. YES IT IS A SIN. simple answer, and true.
Funny... you don't want to debate, yet you are about the only person to give an opposing answer to just about everyone!

How, pray tell, do you conclude that it's a sin?

Are you one of those who also claims that dancing and having a beer is sinful? What about eating at McDonalds?

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is a Sin?

Is it a sin if I admire my neighbor's new Cadillac to much?
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods."
So, MAYBE I just sinned. Hmm.

I believe that sin is personal to the particular Christian.
If a Christian is serving in Iraq, He is exempted from the prohibition against Killing people, he is allowed to have a lot more anger than I consider acceptable, he can be afraid ... ...
If Iraqi women were starving to death, I wouldn't consider a prostitute sinning, if she (and her children) can LIVE now.

For some people, certain things can harm his Spiritual Life.
These things (I could consider) sinful for him to do.

But, I think the concept of sin is much more important early in a Christian's Life.
Later, he relies more on Love and kindness, and less on constantly analyzing a situation (or thing) and trying to decide if it's somehow a sin or not.

So, this Hookah thing is a lot of Hoo-Hah to me.
If it isn't mentioned in Leviticus, or in the New Testament, then we don't know if it's a sin. And, when we each judge the sinfulness of that action, then we are trying to get in way of God. Because, in the final analysis, what we think about sin, may have nothing to do with how God is interpreting it.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whether it is legal or not, smoking anything pollutes the lungs and causes irreversible damage to the body. It's a slow suicide of sorts. How can that not be sinful? Maybe I'm missing something...

Seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, once taught:

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man...But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man:" -Mt. 15:15, 18-20 (KJV)

So it's not necessarilary that smoking is a sin. Overeating, evil thoughts, murder, adultry, fornication, stealing, lying, cursing, all these, according to our Lord, are what defileth a man.

You have your opinion, I have mine. May the Lord bless you in your convictions.

I said previously that my position was not the favorable one. But since I'm in the wrong here, I'll just simply bow out of this thread gracefully and wish you all "God Bless."

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of stupid people who say stupid things. Dancing isn't wrong, but there are people out there that sure think so. Just like this. Of course enjoying a hookah isn't a sin.
He felt the need to ask, so that does pose the question why? We are told to avoid even the appearance of evil, not merely sin itself, but our actions, and appearance that could be seen as evil. Not every dance is sinless, when I see a dance group grinding on stage in front of the congregation, and I feel the need to cover the eyes of children, something is amiss.

Upvote 0

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Got to love the hookah. It is the perfect chase for Gin or Brandy. Take a good sized shot and follow it up with a good toke of some strawberry shisha, pure heaven.

anyone who says it is a sin, thats just crazy. God didn't put us on this earth to have missirbable lives, we are allowed to have fun.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let the Holy Spirit be your guide..You will know if all intentions are pure..ie doing it to be cool or fit in..Also , what might be ok for us might cause a weaker brother to stumble..this goes with anything

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.