1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hookah smoking a sin?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Punchy, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punchy

Punchy Guest

I recently purchased a hookah, something which I enjoy owning. A hookah is a Middle Eastern waterpipe for the purpose of smoking shisha, a fine tobacco mixed with honey and fruit. Hookah smoking is popular among college-aged youth. Given that many Christians partake in hookah smoking, I would like to know whether it is considered a sin by the Church. So far, I've heard conflicting opinions. I wonder if there is an article that specifically addresses the issue. I thank you for whatever help and opinions you provide.

Peace.

2. Breetai

Breetai For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    No.

Just as smoking a cigar is not a sin.

3. Punchy

Punchy Guest

Sometimes I just need some hubbly-bubbly.

4. Brother Simon

Brother Simon And His name shall be called Wonderful...

Faith:
    Catholic
    I wasn't aware smoking at all was a sin. I knew that smoking too much just like drinking too much is a sin... (I do not smoke, nor do I condone it - these are just my thoughts/questions.)

With love,
    Simon

5. Solidlyhere

Solidlyhere New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Punchy said: "So far, I've heard conflicting opinions."

So, what opinions have you heard?
    And, are they (1) Smoking, in general? ... or
    2) Hookah in particular?

6. krisMuzik

krisMuzik New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    Good morning,

It doesn't sound evil to me.

I agree with Cigars not being a sin

God bless and have a wonderful day
    krisMuzik

7. Punchy

Punchy Guest

I've heard those who claim that all smoking is a sin and others who believe that smoking is tolerable in moderation.

8. Chickapee

Chickapee Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hi punchy , i believe its more of the heart condition ..
    how his acts and deeds are towards the LORD and his fellow mankind ,,, than trying to make the out ward show of appearing holy to others ,, its the true treasure within the heart rich towards God that counts to me , make the inside clean FIRST and formost , just two mites on this subject ,,
    peace C ..

Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

9. Piedpiper123

Piedpiper123 New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I'm not sure that inhaling tobaco smoke is good for the lungs.

10. Dvorah27

Dvorah27 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Messianic
    No, I don't believe it is inherently a sin. If a person becomes addicted to it, setting it up as an idol - like drugs becoming a god to some people, then that is a sin. If you are only using it for occasional enjoyment then I don't believe it is a sin.

11. chris777

chris777 Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    What does that say about the activity?

Now granted. many already blindly partake in many activities, that are of questionable use.

But think of it this way, if you have to have a device that is also used for less than legal uses, just to smoke it, it gives the appearance however unfairly of other uses.

Smoking anything is not the best of advice, and I have smoked everything from cigars, to marajuana , myself in the past.
    We are represenatives of Christ while we are here on earth, so ultimately it is up to you how you wish to represent him.

But as I am sure you know already that appearances can be deceiving, and first impressions are unfortunately some of the worst to stick, especially if someone draws a potential bad impression, fair or not, it happens, think about it, are you proud you have discovered a rare habit that the uninitiated are unaware of, and could potentially mistake for something else, or are you glad that you are saved, and wish to be a represenative of Christ on earth.

12. BAFRIEND

BAFRIEND New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Smoking is a sin. It is different than drinking in a sense. The reason that makes it different, assuming one is not an alcoholic, is that smoking takes alot of money out of the household. That means that you are burning the family, kids etc, of necessities.

13. Boshirou

Boshirou Regular Member

Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Christian
    Not really, sure about the it taking alot of money out of you. I personally don'y enjoy Sheesha much, as I am a pipe smoker of fine english tobacco. Now more recreational smoking like Pipe's and Hooka's cost alot less than a cigarette smoker. I personally spend less than 50$ a year on tobacco.

14. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Romans 14:20; "...and everything that doesn't come from faith is sin." So yes, smoking is a sin because it's not necessary for our survival. But only Jesus can take away our sins, not we ourselves. :)

15. Citanul

Citanul Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    But you can use the same argument to claim that eating fancy food is a sin. It's certainly not necessary for our survival, as you could get by with basic food, and it takes money out of the household.

16. There are a lot of stupid people who say stupid things. Dancing isn't wrong, but there are people out there that sure think so. Just like this. Of course enjoying a hookah isn't a sin.

If you're doing those things then yes, it would be a sin. But one can smoke and and drink and not consume the families resources. That's what most people who do those things do.

This is one of those stupid things people say that I was talking about. Anything not necessary for survival is a sin? You know the only things you need for survival is some foo, water and a place to lay your head where you won't be eaten. But no, we have jobs and houses and friends and family and Jesus, absolutely none of which are necessary for survival.

I really wish people would think their beliefs out a little more instead of just reguritating what their pastor said, or what they think the Bible says because they have some out of context verse stuck in their head.

17. dies-l

dies-l Guest

I would qualify this statement by saying that "dancing is not inherently wrong" just as I would say that "enjoying a hookah isn't inherently a sin."

I make this qualification because, if done with the wrong heart, just about anything can be "sinful." If our actions interfere with our relationship with God or with other people, then it is problematic. For example, if by dancing, I am offending a brother who happens to believe that dancing is a sin, then my decision to dance hurts my relationship with the other person, which is unloving, which is sin. Likewise, if my choice to smoke anything is done to a sufficient excess to drain my family or financial resources and/or to cause health problems, then this is damaging to others and/or my body (the temple of the Holy Spirit). The problem with tobacco use is that most people think of it in terms of cigarettes, which are usually chemically altered such that it is a far more likely than not that smoking them will result in addiction. Thus, most cigarette smokers are engaging in an addiction that is harmful to themselves and/or others. I don't know if the same thing can be said of cigars, pipes, or hooka tobacco.

The point is that moral excellence is not just a matter of determining which actions are listed as "sins" and which are not. Instead, it is a matter of learning to love God, others, and ourselves the way that God does.

18. SonOfSophroniscus

SonOfSophroniscus New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Christian
    Surely, charging extortionate amounts for tobacco is itself more sinful?

19. SonOfSophroniscus

SonOfSophroniscus New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Christian
    Would you call a man who skydived with no parachute, one who possessed great faith?

20. Punchy

Punchy Guest

Hookah tobacco costs 3 dollars for a 50 gram package, which lasts for a considerable amount of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.