Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm beginning to have doubts about my faith.It recently began when I was just doing something I can't remember what but I had doubts about St. Paul like this thought about he didn't see maybe he was hallucinating Him or maybe it was from the sun and then others thoughts began to pop into my head that God's prophets had mental illnesses and was just imagining things and then prayed to God that He will get rid of these doubts because I felt like I was committing a horrible sin against Him and I'm worried that these doubts will bring me more doubts and I'll abandoned the Christian Faith and then God will send me to Hellfire

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God knew about every single sin you have committed, are commtting, and will commit BEFORE Jesus went to the cross, and He went to the cross without hesitation - yes, doubt is sin, but you aren't going to be sin-less as long as you are in a flesh body - focus on the fact that before you sin, God made your forgiveness for that sin available to you, and all you have to do is believe that to receive His already-available forgiveness. it's not what you do to beat yourself up for your sin plus what He did at the cross that causes you to receive forgiveness; you can't earn His forgiveness through self-condemnation nor can your sin exceed His already-available forgiveness - you simply have to receive His already available forgiveness as a free gift - regardless of your performance - good OR bad

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That is just common temptation and the trials of Christian life. If this is a frequent problem, you might be suffering from scrupulosity, and you would need to talk to a pastor, spiritual director, or therapist.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believing in God and what he said in the Bible is a choice. Some people would say it is a choice you make every day (in making decisions—What do you want to do? What would God want you to do? Is there a right decision among your choices?). If believing in God is getting more difficult, what would probably help you is to find more evidence that he is real and what he said is true. Good evidence is experiences people have had with God, rather than things people believe about God. You may have to intentionally seek them out. For a lot of my Christian life I found these stories very uplifting and encouraging, so it was easy for me to look for them. It was especially powerful when someone at church talked about one, because I could clearly see they were just as amazed as I would be, and weren't trying to convince anyone of anything.

Scripture can have a big impact on one's faith because it is a record of people's experiences with God, rather than their opinions. The Bible is a very reliable record and most of the objections people have that the Bible isn't accurate or true are usually pretty easy to explain to someone who is already predisposed to believe it is true. I'm not familiar with the web site, but take a look at the number of old copies of various ancient manuscripts that are in the world today.

Fellowship time with mature Christians is a great opportunity to ask them about their experiences with God, such as asking them what God has done recently in their lives, or what's the most amazing thing God ever did in their lives. It's perfectly OK to ask them why they think what happened was from God.

What is more convenient is to read testimonies of people who had encounters with God. The difficulty with this is that sometimes it is hard to tell how critical they have been in deciding it was God or not, and therefore sometimes hard to really believe what they say. Remember that eternal life is only through faith in Jesus Christ.

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve. Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. (John 6:66-68, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm beginning to have doubts about my faith.It recently began when I was just doing something I can't remember what but I had doubts about St. Paul like this thought about he didn't see maybe he was hallucinating Him or maybe it was from the sun and then others thoughts began to pop into my head that God's prophets had mental illnesses and was just imagining things and then prayed to God that He will get rid of these doubts because I felt like I was committing a horrible sin against Him and I'm worried that these doubts will bring me more doubts and I'll abandoned the Christian Faith and then God will send me to Hellfire

Hebrews 3:12-19
12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,
15 while it is said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion."
16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?
17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness?
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Random thoughts - and any other sorts of thoughts - are to be "brought into captivity unto obedience to Christ" (2Cor. 10:4) When they are not, they will set down roots in your mind, and grow, and shape how you think and behave. Have you been "taking captive" these random doubting thoughts? Have you been challenging them with the truth of the Bible? If you give these thoughts weight in your thinking and allow them to undermine your confidence and trust in God's word and in God Himself, you act as the Israelites did many millenia ago who "hardened their hearts in unbelief," and angered God, and died in the wilderness rather than the Promised Land God had said was theirs. Follow the advice of the writer of the book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hebrews 3:12-19
12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,
15 while it is said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion."
16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?
17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness?
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Random thoughts - and any other sorts of thoughts - are to be "brought into captivity unto obedience to Christ" (2Cor. 10:4) When they are not, they will set down roots in your mind, and grow, and shape how you think and behave. Have you been "taking captive" these random doubting thoughts? Have you been challenging them with the truth of the Bible? If you give these thoughts weight in your thinking and allow them to undermine your confidence and trust in God's word and in God Himself, you act as the Israelites did many millenia ago who "hardened their hearts in unbelief," and angered God, and died in the wilderness rather than the Promised Land God had said was theirs. Follow the advice of the writer of the book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Selah.
How can I bring them captive to Christ then? Because I've been praying to God so He can get rid of these doubts

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Lord's Servant: Check this out: http://www.gotquestions.org/take-control-thoughts.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm beginning to have doubts about my faith.
This is a good thing. (not the doubts you posted after this, but doubting as a way that God brings us more perfectly to Himself.)
How can I bring them captive to Christ then? Because I've been praying to God so He can get rid of these doubts
Surrender to Him. (literally)
No - never do any self-harm if that ever comes to mind. Certainly not.
But
yes, literally surrender to Jesus.
He is the ONLY ONE Who can save us, and as He told His Own disciples "I know you don't know how....
Come to ME, and I will show you."

So, follow Jesus.
(not men)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

You have a more active role to play in dealing with your doubts than just to pray and ask God to rid you of them. As Paul wrote to the Corinthians, you are to make your doubts subject to the person and truth of Christ. How? Well, when a doubt arises about the trustworthiness of Scripture, counter it with the truth that all Scripture us given by inspiration of God (2Ti. 3:16) and as such is worthy of your trust. You have a choice to make, however: will you choose to trust what God's word says over the doubts you have? In what will you put your trust? To make your thoughts obedient to Christ means to make them subject to his Person and Truth. Assess everything you think, every idea, attitude and feeling you have, against what the Bible says. And any idea, attitude or feeling that contradicts or in some way departs from God's truth reject as false and destructive. In this way, actively resist the lies with which the World, the Flesh and the devil regularly bombard you. Of course, this strategy depends on you actually being in the Bible studying and memorizing it. Are you?

Psalms 1:1-3
1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

Psalms 119:103-105
103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

Selah.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't think God would count doubt as a sin. Faith is the thing hoped for. The belief that there does exist those things we cannot see.

Look maybe to the book of Jude and chapter 22.
I think when we reach a certain point in our life it can be natural to doubt God is there for us. After all, we're deep in it and how can we explain God letting that to happen? And yet, doesn't that kind of situation cause us to really look into what we believe? And cling to our faith even more? Trusting in God during a time that seems as if no other thing will bring us out of it?

I think doubt helps us to grow stronger in our faith. God's mercies surround you. And his wisdom whisper comforts to you. :hug:

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a good thing. (not the doubts you posted after this, but doubting as a way that God brings us more perfectly to Himself.)

Surrender to Him. (literally)
No - never do any self-harm if that ever comes to mind. Certainly not.
But
yes, literally surrender to Jesus.
He is the ONLY ONE Who can save us, and as He told His Own disciples "I know you don't know how....
Come to ME, and I will show you."

So, follow Jesus.
(not men)
Yes I know only Jesus can save us and He only can save us and how can I surrender to Him ? Like accepting Him to my heart because I have already done that and accepted Him as my savior

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes I know only Jesus can save us and He only can save us and how can I surrender to Him ? Like accepting Him to my heart because I have already done that and accepted Him as my savior
What I did was
literally willingly offer myself to the Father in heaven
the same way Isaac was offered up on an alter to Him
(but remember importantly the angel of the Lord kept Abraham from sacrificing him and PROVIDED a sacrifice IN HIS PLACE ! )
So,
we become a LIVING SACRIFICE to Yhwh, everything is given up to Him,
every part of our soul and life and mind and body and spirit,
everything we have, everything we are and everything we hope to be -
all of our hopes and desires and ambitions and strengths and weeknesses - EVERYTHING
just
as if we were actually sacrificed, but we continue as a LIVING SACRIFICE
belonging to Yhwh -
we are HIS POSSESSION to do with as He Pleases, NO MATTER WHAT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not all doubt is sin. Some doubt is simply a matter of wanting clarity on certain issues or subjects, even those pertaining to our Christian faith.

The kind of doubt that is sinful is that which begins to reject God Himself and His plan of redemption through Christ.

Sure, we all have questions about the validity of this or that 'fact' regarding circumstances surrounding the Bible and its writers, like St. Paul for instance. But, the trick is to remember that our doubts on things like these are more like acts of "investigation" rather than a turn from belief. Also, try to remember that a doubt is not the same thing as a rational conclusion. Don't assume that a doubt equals some "new insight." It might actually be a mistake in thinking, or an attempt to understand something with incomplete information.

Also, be mindful that sometimes the ideas spread around by Skeptics are not necessarily reporting to you what should be taken as whole truths. They may select certain facts and ignore others, which can shape the way in which we hear and understand their criticism. Of course, Christians can at times be guilty of the same thing, but regardless, we should be wary that being a Skeptic is no guarantee as to one's objectivity, no matter how much fuss is made over claims to having been objective.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't think God would count doubt as a sin. Faith is the thing hoped for. The belief that there does exist those things we cannot see.

Look maybe to the book of Jude and chapter 22.
I think when we reach a certain point in our life it can be natural to doubt God is there for us. After all, we're deep in it and how can we explain God letting that to happen? And yet, doesn't that kind of situation cause us to really look into what we believe? And cling to our faith even more? Trusting in God during a time that seems as if no other thing will bring us out of it?

I think doubt helps us to grow stronger in our faith. God's mercies surround you. And his wisdom whisper comforts to you. :hug:
Ah I see then thanks for the scriptures and that's true about doubts makes us cling to the faith more.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Ah I see then thanks for the scriptures and that's true about doubts makes us cling to the faith more.
Yet if the doubts are about "the faith" then perhaps clinging to "the faith more"
will simply make or allow something to
remain unchanged that God wants to change ?
Note that Always -
God's Word,
and Jesus,
remain unchanged and unchangeable.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What I did was
literally willingly offer myself to the Father in heaven
the same way Isaac was offered up on an alter to Him
(but remember importantly the angel of the Lord kept Abraham from sacrificing him and PROVIDED a sacrifice IN HIS PLACE ! )
So,
we become a LIVING SACRIFICE to Yhwh, everything is given up to Him,
every part of our soul and life and mind and body and spirit,
everything we have, everything we are and everything we hope to be -
all of our hopes and desires and ambitions and strengths and weeknesses - EVERYTHING
just
as if we were actually sacrificed, but we continue as a LIVING SACRIFICE
belonging to Yhwh -
we are HIS POSSESSION to do with as He Pleases, NO MATTER WHAT.
Ah I see then and I understand

Upvote 0