Status
Not open for further replies.

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Then how can you trust anything is the work of God and not Satan?

How do you know that Satan didn't deceive whoever wrote Leviticus, or that it really was witches the Bible talked about, and not demons in disguise, working to discredit those whom God blessed with powers?

If Satan is as oh-so-powerful as you say, how can you trust anything and not know that your heart and mind has been fooled, and that the things you're convinced about were actually Satan's lies all along?
I think that is the main theme of the bible: God is our loving father, and his word is trustworthy and can be counted on. We are told, "lean not on your own understanding but trust in the Lord and he will direct your path"

Satan isn't all powerful. His power is in deception. He can't stand against a person who rejects him directly in God. But he and or his angels can deceive us and delude us rather easily if our minds are not guarded with God's word.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
The drug being referred to is thujone.

Further reading on this subject there thujone does seem to be harmful even fatal in some usages and apparently at one time was banned as an illegal substance.

http://www.wormwood-absente.com/thujone.htm#Side%20Effect

There seems to be some conflicting information on the possible effects, the only proven mind altering effect is on par with THC (
marijuana) an overdose of thujone can apparently result in death. That is according to the above site.

Hmmm.... most of the information I've read suggests it's use is actually beneficial. http://www.gaiagarden.com/products/wormwood/12311

Prolonged usage can apparently cause brain damage. But it's not anything like the depiction on the page attacking Crowling.

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The truth is any of us can fall under the cloak of deception. Just take our eyes off the Lord long enough and we're creating golden calves. Science and psychology can even take God's place as the idol in our lives.

I keep having one verse pop up in y minds eye over and over.

Feed my sheep
Feed my sheep, feed my sheep.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian

"In the U.S., traditional Absinthe is illegal to sell for human consumption because it contains the chemical thujone which is banned by the FDA for use in foods but allowed in some herbs known to contain thujone (Title 21, Chapter 1, Part 172.510). Some types of absinthe are sold in the U.S. which contain no thujone and other absinthes are imported into the U.S. despite FDA regulations."

The more I research it the more confusing it gets.

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fruitless? Many of my notions towards morality have been influenced and bolstered by the lessons in those 7 books.
And thats my point those lessons are skewed representations of how we are told to live in the scriptures, the scriptures tell us to obey our parents, harry potter tells us the opposite.
You do not need you morality dictated to you from a fictional story, from someone who does not exist.
Harry potter could care less about you , But Jesus does.

The morality lessons you are learning are deviations from Gods word, you are learning to accept teachings, that are frankly of the devil, and you are incorporating them into your own moral code. And you are doing so from a piece of fiction.
I do understand as I did so myself as I was younger., but it does not change the fact, that you know more about a fictional story, than you do about Gods word, which has the power to save your soul

I have come to know her because an author's self comes through in their writing, their opinions influence their work. I frequent her website, know and read the interviews she has with people about the books and about her personal life. I've grown up being familiar with thse books and what and how she says things. I think I have a little understanding of her views by now
and how much of your life is invested in the pursuit of these things?
I'm am a little bit offended at your remarks, because the books are most definitely NOT 'fruitless'.
This will likely sound weird, but I am Glad you are offended, Hopefully it will cause you to ponder the situation further. The same way that many of you believe that harry potter is harmless, if its just for fun ,and entertainment, then how is it it can bear fruit?
if it bears no fruit allegedly in the form of some of its readers becoming curious about the occult, and witchcraft, how can it by that very same notion, bear fruit for the kingdom of God?
How ca none preach the Gospel without the Gospel?

How can I? It's impossible to know those authors closely. I don't know them, haven't read anything they said outside the Bible. Everything they write is basically like recording history: 'Then Jesus did such and such, then this happened, then this and then that'. Whenever they do talk about themselves, it's always in glory of God, it's not about themselves. I don't know how you could possibly ask me if I could feel 'close' to an author of the Scriptures.
Because those men were not the author of the scriptures, God is, thats why I asked you the question in the first place, to see if You were aware of that.

Truth be told, almost EVERYTHING even remotely interesting anymore is inspired by pagan beliefs and lore.
( I am glad you are able to discern that, far too many are unable)
If we absolutely rejected anything and everything from the cultures of the world, we would live in a very humdrum world indeed.
none of it, will enter heaven, zero. if that makes it boring, then What ever will you do if you Enter the kingdom of God?

I guess it doesn't, seeing as I still read HP on a regular basis and I still don't even hardly believe in magic and wizards or any of that. I guess I'm just lucky, right?
or deceived.
The scriptures speak of 2 wizards in Pharaohs court who used their magic to combat the miracles of God. Do you believe that happened?

This is foolish. Are you saying that the US Government should have somehow known that people were going to hijack a plane and crash it into the towers that day? How could they possibly know?
and yet the knew their was a threat, and it was disregarded, in much the same way as harry potter is in this thread, with the typical "not my problem let someone else henadle it " attitude
And even if they did think it might happen, what would they do, shut down the Towers for 10 years until the conflict is resolved? Shut down the Pentagon until the threat is over? Won't ever happen.
Just as I assume it will take divine intervention, to cause you to lay down a book on fantasy, that does nothing for your soul, and steals away your time from reading the Word of God, which is far, far more valuable, and edifying to your spirit.

Harry Potter is nothing compared to the satanically inspired horror movies that come out every year and have been coming out for decades.
The bible tells us that all sin is detestable by God, and shall never enter the Kingdom of heaven, it ultimately does not matter what the lost are doing, You are supposed to be a Child of God ,and we are told we will be held to greater accountably , than the lost. To point at the sins of others, and attempt to portray them as outweighing your own is flawed. God Tells us that no on who is still in sin shall inherit the kingdom of God, in 1 Cor 6
[9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
[10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

[11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
[12] All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
[13] Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.
[14] And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.
[15] Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
[16] What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
[17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
[18] Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.
[19] What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
[20] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I would also love everybody in this thread to actually READ THE BOOKS. You already know the evils, as you claim, so it obviously wont matter if you read them. You will understand the lessons it has to teach, the good in it, it is truly an amazing book, it is easily a defining span of time in my childhood.
Have you ever actually read any of the bible for yourself?
I hope you get the kind of zeal for God, and his kingdom, as you do for a make believe story.
You are really missing out, you have and artificial substitute for something Real.The Gospel is real, Christ is returning, all Harry potter does, is cause you to clamor for more, and to crave, and expect more magic, and occult practices.
Thats why I called it fruitless, because harry potter cannot save anyones soul. and it steals away from the Gospel, rather than drawing people to it.

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone address this point?
Are witchcraft and necromancy evil practices?
If you think they are good then I understand a positive position on HP being taught to children but not a claim of Christianity.

Surely they're only evil if they're used for evil.
Like a knife, or fire.
I will pray for you as Clearly you have no discernment, and do not know the scriptures.

The world is about to end, only a dead man can stop it. You resurrect him using necromancy.

If that's even possible. *scoffs*
I wil pray for you as well as you do not know the scriptures

If a good person does them for good reasons, to help people in beneficial ways without harming anyone.

How else would you define "good"?
Obedience to the Word of God which clearly warns ud to avoid even the appearance of such things.
Your concept of Good is the concept given to you by the world, not by God.
Which part of the New Testament is that stated in again? I'm not that good at remembering chapters and verses...
Gal 5: is a good example
[20] Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
[21] Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
[23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
[24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
[25] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
[26] Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

But that's a contradiction. You can't turn away from God, where would you turn to? There is no-one else!

There is only One True God so everything both magical and non-magical comes from Him.

You can't get so-called magical forces from another divine being as there is ONLY ONE being, God.

To say demonic forces exist is to say that there is more than one Power in the Universe, more than one God...
This is just wrong on so many levels, I suggest you read the scriptures further

Then how can you trust anything is the work of God and not Satan?

How do you know that Satan didn't deceive whoever wrote Leviticus, or that it really was witches the Bible talked about, and not demons in disguise, working to discredit those whom God blessed with powers?

If Satan is as oh-so-powerful as you say, how can you trust anything and not know that your heart and mind has been fooled, and that the things you're convinced about were actually Satan's lies all along?
Then why do you call yourself a christian, if you are unconvinced

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ya know, this is all just getting "out there" at this point. I guess it's more comfortable questioning and altering the bible than questioning an entertainment series that's hooked many thousands of young kids into enchantment and familiarity with the occult as something "good".

It's interesting to see how hard some will work to support HP by bringing the BIBLE into question instead.

The Bible is crystal clear about the occult in Hebrew and Greek: - all sorcery, wizardry, witchcraft, mediums, necromancy, divination, enchantment/fortunetelling and spiritism is of Satan. Including all worship of false pagan gods [who are not gods at all but demons].

How is God or His power behind (or the source of) what He forbids the people to practice, seek or use?? It isn't of God.

Deuteronomy 32:17
" They sacrificed to demons who were not God, To gods whom they have not known, New gods who came lately,Whom your fathers did not dread.

1 Corinthians 10:20
19 What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything?

20 No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

Isn't the Latin word for "witch" the same as for "poisoner"?

How do we know the correct word was used when translating from Latin to English?

Hebrew for Witch:
kashaph:
1) (Piel) to practice witchcraft or sorcery, use witchcraft
a) sorcerer, sorceress (participle)

The same word is used of witches, witchcraft & sorcery - they're of the same source & root.

A witch is a witch :idea: and it's not ok with God. God didn't allow a known witch to live within the gates of Israel in the OT law times - that's how serious God took their practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe God was just jealous.

Wouldn't be the first time God got jealous...

MAYBE YOU JUST NEED TO CONCEDE THAT GOD IS RIGHT AND OBEY HIS COMMANDS

And did you know that there's a GODLY jealousy? A jealousy that isn't evil? Pure love (the kind of love GOD has for His creation, causes God to be jealous for us - as He seeks to bring souls to Himself for intimacy, and to keep them from the grasp of His enemy who He knows is out to harm them).
THAT type of love is protective - not selfish and not harmful.

2 Corinthians 11:2
For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy;
for I betrothed you to one husband,
so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin.

This is a pure jealousy for another's wellbeing and protection and health.
Man perverts jealousy to 'wanting something/someone' FOR SELF. A sinful jealousy that leads them to do sinful things or have evil thoughts.

Sorry, but your posts sound more like you're trying to defend HP & the occult instead of God's word... that seems a little problematic imho.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too wonder why you choose to call yourself a Christian if you don't believe the teachings of the bible?
actually with the way her post is worded, it's like an angry attack or accusation of wrongdoing... all to support HP?

interesting for sure

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I keep having one verse pop up in y minds eye over and over.

Feed my sheep
Feed my sheep, feed my sheep.
Yeah, these debates can be tough. It's like walking through the mud sometimes. The bottom line should be sharing God's word in love. Love sometimes does deliver a necessary rebuke. However, love should be the center we are operating from with the purpose to edify.

Keep delivering the word in your replies my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
actually with the way her post is worded, it's like an angry attack or accusation of wrongdoing... all to support HP?

interesting for sure
I suppose it should have been obvious to me from the beginning that, people who would defend exposing young children to HP have adopted a humanistic secular world view. So the way to address the issue is to present the scriptural alternative without getting caught up in the personal battles (that's the carnal snare that I keep tripping on).

The word does its work in us. We have all strayed from the truth from time to time. It is very dangerous to stray and so easy to do. We really need loving support to sustain us.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose it should have been obvious to me from the beginning that, people who would defend exposing young children to HP have adopted a humanistic secular world view. So the way to address the issue is to present the scriptural alternative without getting caught up in the personal battles (that's the carnal snare that I keep tripping on).

The word does its work in us. We have all strayed from the truth from time to time. It is very dangerous to stray and so easy to do. We really need loving support to sustain us.
I believe one thing - many people easily type out all their objections to what is plainly true in God's teachings & commands to us.
Anybody can publically justify what they want & bolster their worldviews. But it's another issue when they're alone in some quiet time to have to wrestle with these issues between them & God privately.
They may be able to snow people over, but there's no way that we "fool" God in what we know in our heart of hearts.

It's in that time that I know God is hard at work despite what people boldly proclaim on forum boards - or who they mock & ridicule or attack God's words. & I know that becuz even when I was living in rebellion, I had a guilty conscience that I fought.

In the end, every one of us will stand alone before a Holy God - and our heart (motive), words & deeds weighed out before Him.

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't the Latin word for "witch" the same as for "poisoner"?

How do we know the correct word was used when translating from Latin to English?

The scriptures warn about those calling Good evil, and evil Good.

If you doubt the translations, then google concordance its freeonline, they can be found from about $10 up in some stores as well, look it up and see.
I didn't trust any translation, and at one point wanted learn Hebrew and Creek, but upon further examination, i learned that most of the older translation effort's were sound, and it dawned on me that my efforts to add yet another English translation to the mix.

But ultimately either you believe, or you do not.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The scriptures warn about those calling Good evil, and evil Good.

If you doubt the translations, then google concordance its freeonline, they can be found from about $10 up in some stores as well, look it up and see.
I didn't trust any translation, and at one point wanted learn Hebrew and Creek, but upon further examination, i learned that most of the older translation effort's were sound, and it dawned on me that my efforts to add yet another English translation to the mix.

But ultimately either you believe, or you do not.
Exactly. and this is what the other poster mentioned with his 2 links to pages about making sure we are born again in the first place.
This is why people keep attacking the "church" for it's "traditions"... but God's word doesnt' change; the Greek & Hebrew hasn't changed so neither have the meanings that the church has held for centuries.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I too wonder why you choose to call yourself a Christian if you don't believe the teachings of the bible?

Exodus 20: "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God."

What exactly did Catholicon say in her post, "Maybe God was just jealous," that was out of line with thsi verse?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.