Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a Pentecostal Church for years , Then after d=fasting and praying decided to leave as i felt i was being Manipulated and felt i had enough teaching not to go , this does not mean I dont fellowship I just dont do the church thing. Am I biblically wrong? I have been told I will not get blessed or have a fruitful Christian life if I dont go, Thoughts?

It's not a 'commandment' as in the Ten Commandments, but an instruction for the best wishes of you, other believers, and of course what God desires for most of us.

Upvote 0
G

groktruth

"I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of christ." Is Christ divided?"

I am of Luther. I am of the Baptists. I am of Mennon. I am of the Church of Christ. etc. etc.

What's the difference? Dividing Christ is a sin. The punishment? "If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him."

Going to any church with a name does not seem wise to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2011
Whitinsville, MA
✟7,615.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The greatest theologians, evangelists and preachers that the Lord has blessed His kingdom with over the past 2000 years since the time of Christ have almost without exception been men who would tell you to "go to church."

Yep. They could all be wrong. They could be....

Upvote 0
G

groktruth

The greatest theologians, evangelists and preachers that the Lord has blessed His kingdom with over the past 2000 years since the time of Christ have almost without exception been men who would tell you to "go to church."

Yep. They could all be wrong. They could be....

And, as the host of witnesses, they are all hoping we will climb onto their shoulders, and see what they did not see. That we would, as promised, "know more than all my teachers." So, what if God tells you to be the church, not go to it, Or, what if He tells you to go to church, namely your neighbor, who has been telling you that he is the church, not that building down the street? Well if that is what He is telling you, as another prophetic person, I confirm what He is saying. I judge that you are hearing correctly. I would add that He told me that the words, "I go to church." in the mouth of a believer, are words that condemn the speaker. Lost seekers looking to find God can say this; they are already condemned but are hoping to have that situation changed. But they will stumble if they go to a building, and not a man or woman. And stay lost, or find salvation but then backslide, which is worse.

Of course these ancients were wrong! We all are wrong! We do what it is our duty to do, but we remain unprofitable servants. But we do better, year by year.

Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you are little confused.

The Church you have been talking is both, a building and a organization. In the NT we found the word "church" with a totally different meaning. The real and only church is the asambly or congregation to christians. The fact is that the church (we) go to the Church (building) wich belong to a Church (organization). Doing so, we (The real church) are subjected to the local Chruch rules and doctrine. We do not learn about christian doctrine but learn oficial Church doctrine, woch can not be refuted. We (as the church) do not have a Pastor in our seee, but hsomebody named Pastor by the organization telling us what to do. If we do not agrre, we have to move away to another Church.

• Agree
Upvote 0
G

groktruth

It seems that you are little confused.

The Church you have been talking is both, a building and a organization. In the NT we found the word "church" with a totally different meaning. The real and only church is the asambly or congregation to christians. The fact is that the church (we) go to the Church (building) wich belong to a Church (organization). Doing so, we (The real church) are subjected to the local Chruch rules and doctrine. We do not learn about christian doctrine but learn oficial Church doctrine, woch can not be refuted. We (as the church) do not have a Pastor in our seee, but hsomebody named Pastor by the organization telling us what to do. If we do not agrre, we have to move away to another Church.

Thank you for hoping and helping, that I get less confused. I like what you wrote.

Upvote 0

Dan Perry

Feb 11, 2017
Florida
✟15,311.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no scriptural basis of meeting in a building, and the Church after Jesus ascended met house to house (which we will soon be doing again)... The Roman Catholics that Constantine created made it where you had to meeting in a building... The New Testament clearly says WE are His temple and not some building... I hope this helps

• Agree
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in a Pentecostal Church for years , Then after d=fasting and praying decided to leave as i felt i was being Manipulated and felt i had enough teaching not to go , this does not mean I dont fellowship I just dont do the church thing. Am I biblically wrong? I have been told I will not get blessed or have a fruitful Christian life if I dont go, Thoughts?

Although the Bible says in Hebrews to......"Do not forsake the assembly of the brethren", that does not mean that there is salvation in the church.

We ae saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and NOTHING else!

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is no scriptural basis of meeting in a building, and the Church after Jesus ascended met house to house (which we will soon be doing again)... The Roman Catholics that Constantine created made it where you had to meeting in a building... The New Testament clearly says WE are His temple and not some building... I hope this helps

Do you have any primary sources to establish that?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it is a commandment to go. "Do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together." Hebrews 10:25

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Who do you follow ?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 12:5...BELIEVERS are the "Body of Christ"
so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.

1 Corinthians 12:12
For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now you (believers) are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.

Ephesians 3:6
to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,

Members are not equal nor perfect.

1 Corinthians 12:22-23
On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary;
and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable,

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The First Church After Pentecost

ACts 2 (NASB)
42 They were continually devoting themselves
to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
43 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe;
and many wonders and signs were taking place through the (11) apostles.
44 And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common;(COMMUNE!?)
45 and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.
46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple,
and breaking bread from house to house,
they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,

Some of PAUL'S "churches":

Philippians 4:15
You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone;

Colossians 1:25
Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,
47 praising God and having favor with all the people.
And the L0RD was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 16:18
I also say to you that you are Peter (petros=Rocky), and upon this rock (petra=revelation) I will build My "CHURCH"; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

church...Greek 1577...ekklēsia...
1.a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an ASSEMBLY
1.an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
2.the assembly of the Israelites
3.any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
4.in a Christian sense
1.an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious MEETING
2.a company of Christians, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ,
observe their own religious rites,
hold their own religious meetings, and
manage their own affairs,
according to regulations prescribed for the body
for order's sake
3.those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
4.the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
5.the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Matthew 16:18
I also say to you that you are Peter (petros=Rocky), and upon this rock (petra=revelation) I will build My "CHURCH"; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
Although it is commonly taught, Petra does not = revelation.
It is demeaning to Christ to claim that the church is built on Peter, as Catholics claim, or on Peter's revelation of Christ, as many Protestants claim.

Christ alone is the Rock on which the church is being built.

In speaking to Peter, Jesus was drawing a comparison between Peter's name in Greek (Petros) which means a pebble or loose stone, and Jesus himself whose ancient title is "Rock of Salvation", a solid mountain (Petra).
A simple check of an online concordance will show that the name of "Rock" was an ongoing title for the Lord

2Sam22v47The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

Psalm71v3Be to me a rock of habitation to which I may continually come; You have given commandment to save me, For You are my rock and my fortress.

1Cor10v1For I do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea. 2And all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3and all ate the same spiritual food, 4and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were drinking from the spiritual rock accompanying them, and the rock was Christ.

Peter would have been well aware of these scriptures and countless others which show "The Rock" as one of the major titles of the Lord.
Peter of all people would understand perfectly the juxtaposition Jesus was making between himself as a Rock/Mountain, whilst Peter was a mere chip off the block, a pebble.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 7 (NASB)...JESUS: The Two Foundations: end of the Sermon on the Mount
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them,
may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the "ROCK".
25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the "ROCK".
26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does NOT act on them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.
27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

28 When Jesus had finished these words, the CROWDS were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

the rock...GREEK 4073...petra....3.metaphor: a man like a rock, by reason of his firmness and strength of soul(/SPIRIT)

Upvote 0