De Oppresso Liber
Apr 25, 2005
Virginia
✟22,533.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
I recently visited my son in Boston. They (the Bostonians), are very much interested in the subject of the environment.

My son asked me what the Church teaches about this subject. To tell you the truth, I didn't really know. I don't really hear it addressed in church.

What do you think? Is God an environmentalist?

churchlady

De Oppresso Liber
Apr 25, 2005
Virginia
✟22,533.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for the link, Daniels. Interesting article.

Decades before the 'environment' was a hot topic, I was using organic products in my garden instead of chemical fertilizers.

It was the influence of my Christianity that compelled me to do that, along with the fact that I believed it was healthier.

I do believe that God holds us accountable for how we steward the Earth.

I just don't necessarily believe all that I hear in the news about the topic. It's hard to discern what's accurate from what is political, these days.

And many of the big name celebrities touting this subject are a bit hypocritical. I understand Madonna puts tons of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere with her personal jet, while condemning those she feels are not environmentally savy.

Upvote 0

JeCrois

Je Crois (zshuh kwah) = 'I believe'
Jun 18, 2007
Jackson, MS
✟20,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question.

I've never really heard this topic discussed at my church...or any church for that matter.

Seeing as how the earth is God's creation along with us, it grieves him to see its destruction. But then again, we humans are not the only ones destroying it. We may be contributing the majority, but a lot of what happens to the environment is natural. (i.e. tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, and the likes)

Anyways...i think the effort in doing all we can to make the world a better place is what matters. Even if we just play a small role. Laziness in keeping the environment safe is probably looked at the same as laziness in any other areas (like hygene or something) in God's eyes.

The fact that this earth we live in now is just temporary probably leads a lot of Christians to overlook the current state of affairs. If we look forward to the thousand years on the new earth we are promised, this earth we live in now seems so trivial. I, for one, look forward to that day!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 24

1 The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness,
The world and those who dwell therein.
2 For He has founded it upon the seas,
And established it upon the waters.
:bow:
if the earth belongs to God, and God gave man responsiblity for the earth, He did not intend for us to destroy it and pollute it in the way that we do. i believe that He wants us to progress, but a lot of things that we have done to the enviroment have been done in the interest of money and greed, and are doing a lot of damage to the only place we have to live. i heard one politician say that Christ is coming back soon, so we don't have to preserve the earth. that was very ignorant from my point of view, because first of all, we don't know when Christ will return, and we still have to live here until then. he was an old man, but what about the young? :scratch:
so although i would not say that God is an environmentalist, He does want us to be responsible for His creation, as He did in the beginning.
blessings,
bithiah2​

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When people talk about looking after the enivoronment, giant asteroids hitting earth, global warming, the end of the world and all that bunkum God says its a world without end (Ephesians 3:21 and Isaiah 45:17).

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

In the 1950s there was another ice age coming, now its global warming:D

All this environmental nonsense is a smoke screen. Its another issue people bandy about to hide the real issue.
They dont want to come into the light, face up to the fact that they need salvation. Its scare mongering to worry people.....................but there is no need to worry, Jesus is coming soon to pull down all these wicked governments and to set up his kingdom that will have no end (Daniel 2:44, Isaiah 9:7, Luke 1:33).

The earth abides forever (Ecc 1:4) and cannot be moved. Rivers flow to the sea and return to their place. Seed time and harvest will not pass away for a thousand thousand generations.

Environmentalism= codswallop.
:wave:

Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I kind of agree with you about people not wanting to see the bigger picture, but I think that it is about stewardship of the earth.

Someone once told me that the earth could support 12 billion people if the resources were shared out fairly.

My friends dad is from Africa, cant remember which country, but he says that when he was young the place where he lived had a beautiful lake in which he and his friends used to go swimming and fishing. When he goes back to see his family now the lake is gone and so is the life which it supported, this has happened in forty years.

I think that God is the ultimate environmentalist. If you have a garden dont you try and take care of it? Weeding, sowing, watering etc, thats exactly what God does. Dont you feel like drowning the annoying cat that comes into your beautiful garden, keeps digging up your plants and crapping everywhere?
I do.;)

Upvote 0
B

BrilliantWhite

God is an enviromentalist, but not in the same sense that liberals are enviromentalists.

He does not forbid clearing out forests of dead vegetation so if a forest fire occurs, it has less fuel to feed on.

He doesn't make people get permits to build shacks or to make small changes on land they own.

He doesn't see the enviroment as the primary issue to end all issues. Being a good "enviromentalist", caring for animals, and preaching about the evils of meat eating do not make it on God's list.

Really, when I think of "Enviromentalism" the way the people of this world do, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I can't say that they worship the earth, but issues like this are the only ones that matter to them. They preach about global warming when there are deeper more important matters to preach about. They think they are doing good by believing what they do, but they are actually just being off topic. The topics are, the most important issues are: What Is Truth? What is Justice? Who and where is God? What is the future of our civilization? Who are the enemies of our Western Civilization? While they whine about George Bush and oil companies, the real issues of our time go unanswered.

As for the "Celebrities" you see at Live Earth Concerts, they're just a bunch of Pharisees trying to glorify themselves. Nothing more, nothing less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course we are to Tend the Garden—it was God’s first commandment to the human race.

One of our Vineyard churches is leading the way in environmental stewardship—see here http://www.letstendthegarden.org/.

Boise Vineyard's commitment to e-stewardship landed them a write-up in USA TODAY http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-09-08-green-evangelicals_x.htm

So, yes, I think God loves green (He made so much of it) and is an environmentalist—God is the original environmentalist.

~Jim

In your hatred of evil do not forget to love good.

Upvote 0

simpleone

Veteran
Jan 30, 2007
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently visited my son in Boston. They (the Bostonians), are very much interested in the subject of the environment.

My son asked me what the Church teaches about this subject. To tell you the truth, I didn't really know. I don't really hear it addressed in church.

What do you think? Is God an environmentalist?
Churchlady you are back :)

Welcome back....hope your time offline was good!

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People come first then bugs.

And you are saying … what?

Don’t “bugs” and viruses and waste and filthy drinking water and unsanitary conditions affect "people"?

~Jim

In your hatred of evil do not forget to love good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

millerrod

Contributor
Dec 10, 2005
I try to live in obidence to god some days i fail
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rev.11:18 And the nations were angry, and they wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward to the saints and them that fear thy name, small and great; AND SHOULDEST DESTROY THEM WHICH DESTROY THE EARTH !!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.