Is global warming just another ‘End-of-the-World’ delusion?

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Go into a lab and mention Jesus Christ, and you're liable to be asked to leave your religion at the front door;*

Just as much as any other job. You would probably get the same type of reactions at a car repair garage, pharmacy, or restaurant kitchen. You use as much christian theology repairing a fuel injection system as you do sequencing DNA.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would probably get the same type of reactions at a car repair garage, pharmacy, or restaurant kitchen.
Nope ... not in this country.

Once you purchase something, you can give out a tract(s).

Even if they have a NO SOLICITING sign up.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
* I'll admit, this has never happened to me. I'm just guessing.

In other words, you are smearing. Here is something you will find in each and every job ad from a university or research laboratory:

"In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, including sexual harassment, age, disability, citizenship, and veteran status."

I personally hired and supervised many religious persons, including some that believed the earth was 6,000 years old. Their beliefs never affected me and never influenced their jobs.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally hired and supervised many religious persons, including some that believed the earth was 6,000 years old. Their beliefs never affected me and never influenced their jobs.
Did you ever tell them, "Leave your religion at the front door?"

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

For the most part I only found out they were religious months after the start of the job. And no, I never said that, even to those that I knew were religious to begin with (some make it pretty obvious). But by all means, continue with the baseless smear campaign.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
I can see the use of that phrase though (not in all cases mind you, or even near that).

Example:
Employees religion demands five hours prayer during work time.
Employees religion demands that he's (or she's) a jerk to all customers and co-workers.

If he/she would want to work for me, I'd ask him/her to leave the religion at the front door. I wouldn't expect someone to hire me if I behaved that way and I won't make an exception for religion.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
Go into a lab and mention Jesus Christ, and you're liable to be asked to leave your religion at the front door

This is not true. Why do you lie? I mean, if you need to lie to defend your religion (and apparently you do), what does that tell you about your own religion?

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
For the most part I only found out they were religious months after the start of the job. And no, I never said that, even to those that I knew were religious to begin with (some make it pretty obvious). But by all means, continue with the baseless smear campaign.

We've got multiple religious persons working in our departments, no problems whatsoever.

I could imagine several scenarios where being religious could interfere with your job, to the point where one might get fired. But then, all those scenarios would either be because their religion would lead them to do their jobs in a crappy way, or lead them to harrass collegues. If you cannot do your job or if you harrass your collegues, you should get fired.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Nope ... not in this country.

Once you purchase something, you can give out a tract(s).

Even if they have a NO SOLICITING sign up.

Most workplaces consider it rude for employees to evangelize to other employees during work hours, especially if it is unwanted by the employees.

Also, christian theology is as much a part of fixing alternators and cooking cakes as it is researching the history of species.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most workplaces consider it rude for employees to evangelize to other employees during work hours, especially if it is unwanted by the employees.
The post you're responding to was talking about customers in a store, not employees in the workplace.
Also, christian theology is as much a part of fixing alternators and cooking cakes as it is researching the history of species.
The one exception, of course, is motorcycle repair shops, where Buddhism applies.

(Let's see if you get that one. ;))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The post you're responding to was talking about customers in a store, not employees in the workplace.

Most people consider it rude to be evangelized to when walking into a public place of business. Would you return to a business where Hare Krishna's continually tried to convert you while you were shopping?

Also, I am still wondering how you use christian theology to fix a car. How is that done?

The one exception, of course, is motorcycle repair shops, where Buddhism applies.

(Let's see if you get that one. ;))

I guess you never heard that David's Triumph was heard throughout the land?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess you never heard that David's Triumph was heard throughout the land?
^_^ ... That's better than mine!

images

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Go into a lab and mention Jesus Christ, and you're liable to be asked to leave your religion at the front door

AV, I spent 26 years working as an R&D chemist. In all that time there was never ever any problem with anyone saying anything about their religion or their religious beliefs, nor was anyone being hired or considered for promotion was ever discriminated against. If anyone is shown the front door, it is because of poor job performance, not their religious beliefs.

I would think it to be prudent, and I would really appreciate it, if you would refrain from such completely unfounded accusations about scientists in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would think it to be prudent, and I would really appreciate it, if you would refrain from such completely unfounded accusations about scientists in the future.

Oh, wouldn't that be nice? Unfortunately, it is not going to happen.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING !

Be very afraid children its the global warming trend its going to destroy your life are you afraid now ?

Come on we all know that currently global warming is less than 2 degrees.

We have stagnant temperatures and will in the future too mark my words.

A drop in temperatures worldwide is more likely than continued warming is.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,780.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING !

Be very afraid children its the global warming trend its going to destroy your life are you afraid now ?

Come on we all know that currently global warming is less than 2 degrees.

And you obviously have zero understanding of just how serious 2 degrees will be, when we hit it, and what all that extra trapped energy will do. But, unfortunately, given the worlds' recalcitrance in dealing with this crisis, 2 degrees looks unlikely. It's more likely going to be 4 to 6 degrees by 2100, and you have no idea what that means, do you?

We have stagnant temperatures and will in the future too mark my words.

I'd love to mark your words and remind you of them in a few years time as the data becomes ever clearer, but you won't stick around to hear the truth, will you? Or admit you were wrong? Denialist's never stick around, they just run or drop out of conversations when the real world smacks down their 'beliefs' in a pile of data.
A drop in temperatures worldwide is more likely than continued warming is.
Based on what, exactly? A feeling in your little toe?

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And you obviously have zero understanding of just how serious 2 degrees will be, when we hit it, and what all that extra trapped energy will do. But, unfortunately, given the worlds' recalcitrance in dealing with this crisis, 2 degrees looks unlikely. It's more likely going to be 4 to 6 degrees by 2100, and you have no idea what that means, do you?

Thats BS your models will be proven wrong, we are not going up or down currently.

I'd love to mark your words and remind you of them in a few years time as the data becomes ever clearer, but you won't stick around to hear the truth, will you? Or admit you were wrong? Denialist's never stick around, they just run or drop out of conversations when the real world smacks down their 'beliefs' in a pile of data

I started this thread and yes I will stick around all my life till 2050 if needed to prove you and your models wrong.

Based on what, exactly? A feeling in your little toe?

The Sunspot cycle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0