Is Donald Trump the best thing to happen to the Democratic party since Barack Obama?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the election is an up or down on foreign policy, you will find that your position is a minority one.
I don't agree with that at all. Obama has been a total failure and that's widely understood, so for all the screaming and name-calling by the apologists for the White House, a majority of Americans know better.

Were it not for voters who support Obama for other reasons, and therefore feel obligated to defend him against any criticism on any subject at all, hardly anyone would think his foreign policy has been successful.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Hillary is the very best person [apart from perhaps Sanders] to be president, and she will be elected as such in November,

Personally I think Elizabeth Warren would make a better president, but since she isn't running . . .

the fact that Trump is running for the republicans means that the democrats will be in control of both houses come November.

Unlikely. The Dems might get the Senate but right now the Congressional Districts are so gerrymandered it is virtually impossible for Dems to get back in control of the House.

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟181,069.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I don't agree with that at all. Obama has been a total failure and that's widely understood, so for all the screaming and name-calling by the apologists for the White House, a majority of Americans know better.

Were it not for voters who support Obama for other reasons, and therefore feel obligated to defend him against any criticism on any subject at all, hardly anyone would think his foreign policy has been successful.

"it couldn't be worse than under the current president"

The fact that you reach into the future with such certainty and ease makes you recollection of the past suspect.

You made a prediction that cannot be verified for a number of years.

You don't have a leg to stand on calling out people as apologists over such ridiculous claims....

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Again, it couldn't be worse than under the current president

Oh, it could be a lot worse. In fact, it was a lot worse.

and many voters are aware that the "Chicken Little/sky's gonna fall" line is coming from people who make that charge against ANYONE that the Republicans might put up. It lacks credibility IOW.

I don't think most Dems felt that way about McCain or Romney. Nor do I think they feel that way about Kasich.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Yet if the rust belt shifts to Trump, as some polls indicate, the nightmare will become reality. Clinton irrespective of the email scandal, Benghazi and all that rubbish, is not exactly the dream candidate, in what if the primaries are anything to go by, an anti-establishment year.

No, she is not a dream candidate, but she is competent whereas the guy she will be running against is a dangerous jerk.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I would agree with this...for all the momentum the DNC should be gaining off of Trump's big mouth, they negate half of it by not listening to their own voter base by continuing to push Hillary when the people are crying out for Sanders.

Problem is that the Dems don't have a single 'base.' Young people are supporting Sanders while minorities support Clinton.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is interesting.

I would view this in the opposite way. Hillary Clinton had almost no chance against Kasich, Rubio and perhaps others because of her low favorables and her personal trust issues. Making Trump as the nominee makes the unfavorables and the personal trust issue an issue that cuts both ways and likely balances out.
Kasich would have been more difficult but Rubio always seemed like a feather weight to me.

Both Rubio and Walker are robots who would've been slayed in the presidential debates.

While he's just as extremist as the others, Kasich wears a mask of moderation that would've made him a challenging candidate to reckon with.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sorry but I am going to have to leave it there if you honestly think that because Barack Obama will go down as one of the best Presidents the US has ever had.
I will not be responding to anymore of your posts.
The super rich and the warmongers love him.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The DNC has bigger problems than Trump. What with the hate for Wasserman-Schultz, using super delegates to throw the election for Hillary. That silliness that went on in Nevada.

Neither party will come out of this election better than they went in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Barack Obama will go down as one of the best Presidents the US has ever had.

Sorry, I'm going to have to say that's a bit of a stretch...

Now, I'm not going to sit here and claim he's the "boogeyman" or "the worst" as some others would (the "worst" title is reserved for FDR), but to put the title of "one of the best" on him is a stretch like I said.

I'd put Obama somewhere in the middle of the pack...not the best, not the worst...just simply average.

Reactions: smaneck
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Problem is that the Dems don't have a single 'base.' Young people are supporting Sanders while minorities support Clinton.

I was speaking in terms of their overall base. I realize there are different pockets that have different favorites, but in terms of the overall cumulative support numbers, the super-delegate (and regular delegate numbers) are out of line with the opinions of the people...where "the rubber meets the road" so to speak.

...and while I'm not a democrat, I must say, I haven't seen anyone else get such large number of people excited and interested in politics like Sanders has during his campaign. Yet, if you look at the Super delegate count, Hillary is beating him by a ratio of more than 13:1.

And he polls better against Trump than Hillary does:
  • CNN/ORC: Clinton wins 47.3 to 40.8
  • IBD/TIPP: Clinton wins 47 to 40
  • USA Today/Suffolk: Clinton wins 50 to 39
  • GWU/Battleground: Clinton wins 46 to 43
  • Fox News: Clinton wins 48 to 31

• CNN/ORC: Sanders wins 52.2 to 38.8
  • IBC/TIPP: Sanders wins 56 to 40
  • USA Today/Suffolk: Sanders wins 52 to 37
  • GWU/Battleground: Sanders wins 50 to 40
  • Fox News: Sanders wins 53 to 39

The DNC clearly has the game rigged in her favor...

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I was speaking in terms of their overall base. I realize there are different pockets that have different favorites, but in terms of the overall cumulative support numbers, the super-delegate (and regular delegate numbers) are out of line with the opinions of the people...where "the rubber meets the road" so to speak.

...and while I'm not a democrat, I must say, I haven't seen anyone else get such large number of people excited and interested in politics like Sanders has during his campaign. Yet, if you look at the Super delegate count, Hillary is beating him by a ratio of more than 13:1.

And he polls better against Trump than Hillary does:
  • CNN/ORC: Clinton wins 47.3 to 40.8
  • IBD/TIPP: Clinton wins 47 to 40
  • USA Today/Suffolk: Clinton wins 50 to 39
  • GWU/Battleground: Clinton wins 46 to 43
  • Fox News: Clinton wins 48 to 31

• CNN/ORC: Sanders wins 52.2 to 38.8
  • IBC/TIPP: Sanders wins 56 to 40
  • USA Today/Suffolk: Sanders wins 52 to 37
  • GWU/Battleground: Sanders wins 50 to 40
  • Fox News: Sanders wins 53 to 39

The DNC clearly has the game rigged in her favor...

The problem is you are comparing apples to oranges here. You're comparing Sander's popularity compared to Clinton in the general election to Sander's popularity in the Democratic Party. Even if we look at pledged delegates Clinton is still ahead. Yes, the Sander's campaign is gaining momentum, but it is still too little too late. And I think you would agree that none of us thought he would get this far.
The reason that Sanders would do better against Trump in the general election is not because he is more popular with the Democratic base, whatever that is, but because those of us who are not affiliated with a party like him more. But please take Steve Colbert's advice:

Watch four minutes in.

Upvote 0

Robert Palase

May 9, 2016
UK
✟1,434.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Whichever way you look at it the U.S. is the ultimate loser, the civilised world [the third world could not care less] is watching in amazement as the ignorant part of America flexes it's muscles, fear, hate and bigotry, we talk about an idiot having access to the launch codes but we never talk about the idiots who might just put that idiot in charge, "W" should have been the warning to end all warnings but he seems to have gone unnoticed.

The rest of the world is right to be afraid and it's no wonder they join together against the U.S.
When the richest country in the world builds up a military that's bigger than the next 7 countries people are right to be afraid, the U.S. is a bully with a big stick and with a huge part of it's population under educated and religious it's a recipe for disaster.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think it is but what do you think?

I don't think Donald Trump is good for anyone. I also don't know that Obama is the "best thing to happen to the Democratic Party".

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think most Dems felt that way about McCain or Romney.

Maybe not, but alot of them seemed to talk as though they did. It's costing them credibility when they talk that way about Trump.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Maybe not, but alot of them seemed to talk as though they did. It's costing them credibility when they talk that way about Trump.

Last night I watched the movie *All the Way* on LBJ's election and the passing of the Civil Rights Act. I was reminded what an outstanding statesman Evert Dirksen was. I had forgotten all about him! (Okay, I was only 13 when he died.) Whatever happened to these kind of Republicans?

Upvote 0

Robert Palase

May 9, 2016
UK
✟1,434.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Unlikely. The Dems might get the Senate but right now the Congressional Districts are so gerrymandered it is virtually impossible for Dems to get back in control of the House.
What are the American people doing about that? I thought the US was a free democratic country, how can it be if it's been doctored to suit one side over the other? or is freedom just another delusion the majority of Americans suffer from? I guess for most Americans 'freedom' is just another word, but they can take some comfort from the fact that they will always have the chant USA,USA,USA to fall back on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,211.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Last night I watched the movie *All the Way* on LBJ's election and the passing of the Civil Rights Act. I was reminded what an outstanding statesman Evert Dirksen was. I had forgotten all about him! (Okay, I was only 13 when he died.) Whatever happened to these kind of Republicans?

They're now considered moderate democrats?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
What are the American people doing about that? I thought the US was a free democratic country, how can it be if it's been doctored to suit one side over the other? or is freedom just another delusion the majority of Americans suffer from? I guess for most Americans 'freedom' is just another word, but they can take some comfort from the fact that they will always have the chant USA,USA,USA to fall back on.

Americans have no monopoly on gerrymandering. At least twenty other countries have practiced it. For a time it was prohibited under the 1965 Voting Rights but after it was gutted, gerrymandering became the rule. State legislators decide how to divy up Congressional Districts and in many areas they did so in such a way to insure Republican victories. This had the unintended consequence of allowing wingnut extremists into the House of Representatives such that even the Republican Speaker couldn't control them. The real question is what do conservatives control so many state legislatures? The reason is young people and minorities have a bad habit of sitting out the bi-elections. So in some ways, it is the Dems own fault.

Upvote 0