• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is Depression Caused By Demons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
yes I think it can be caused by demons. not all the time but I don't rule it out. the last thing the devil wants is for us to blame him for depression.

btw I don't necessarily mean one is possessed. you can be oppressed by demons, not necessarily possessed by one. sometimes houses can be infested with demons but I do not know if that causes depression - it simply scares the crap out of you, that's all.

Upvote 0

Javanwarbler

God doesn't ever stop loving us thank God!
Sep 1, 2010
Western US
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, its not caused by demons, but the evil one surely does take advantage of it. For example, he might send thoughts, that I would never have thought of if I wasn't depressed..
Just my view on the matter..

Yeah, I was thinking that i wouldn't have such crappy destructive thoughts simply on my own, I really dont' want to feel that way about myself as I wouldn't naturally choose to! It feels like there's an evil force out there (well, the devil and his demons ) that really pushes that kind of thing wanting to make it as bad as possible for us humans!

Upvote 0

loved33

Dec 27, 2008
✟10,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are so many roots and causes of depression. I agree with chococat, if someone is involved in occult they can invite demonic oppression for sure. I would also add that something practiced, outside of God's love commands, year in year out....could eventually become a 'stronghold' in that person.

For example. If I repeatedly overeat and glutton - ize ...(sorry...i'm sure that is not a word...but for now...you get what i mean!)....it could get to a stage where i am out of control of my own will....i have given over my will to a lust.

Lust isn't of God and there is a demonic power that can attach itself as a result of repeatedly worshipping 'another god'. Dis- ease may even set in.

I see in lots of passages in bible about how having a change of heart - repenting - leads to healing coming in.

It's never that God with holds healing - its just sometimes the 'other gods' we worship are squatting in God's place - we are choosing to be filled with junk and not really receiving Him and His solution...we want to keep all our pet comforts etc.

Of course , like Criada said, depression can be purely physical, a physiological medical body imbalance of hormones and chemicals in the brain.

I have also heard that depression is really anger, unexpressed and turned in on the self.

I have heard that anger held inside is proof often, that one has not been loved in the way one needs to be loved.

I love a book called 'the 5 love languages' by gary chapman.

It talks about 'expressed love' falling into 5 categories.

Physical touch

quality time

words of affirmation

presents/gift giving

acts of service

what is so good about this book is that it makes the simple point, that in so many relationships, the 2 people involved each have a different dominant love language...and the problems arise in that relationship because ....

if i only TRULY feel loved if the person I love takes the time to be present with me...sets aside time that is just to spend with me...it may only be half an hour in a day, but it is half an hour that they want to be with me..eye contact , talking, asking how i am , me asking how they are etc, a little QUALITY TIME....

BUT

the person i love...they don't really need quality time, for themselves. They feel most loved when they are cuddled and patted on the back, making love etc.

If the person i love only speaks their own language of 'expressed love' then they will want to cuddle me and make love etc....but

If my love language is quality time, and i havent had it....it may feel like him wanting to be physically intimate is actually AVOIDANT of intimacy, for me.

He won't understand...He will think he's making an effort.

In reverse, I could be always wanting to talk and ask how he is, cos that's my love language, and he only needs a cuddle to feel ok. big chats don't fill his intimacy well....so then that leave me making loads of effort, (only speaking my own love language) and so he goes about feeling empty and unloved too.

It 's not just a male female thing, it works for every type of relationship.

If you can find a person who is willing to listen to your love language and make soem effort to speak yours as well as their own....there'll be less 'anger' at not being loved , the way one needs to be...because you will have been given the right kind of expressed love.

And vice versa.

The easiest way to find out a person's love language?

Listen to how they complain...about anything.

"nobody cares , nobody helps me...i do everything, its always left up to me"

this person needs ACTS OF SERVICE done for them, to feel loved.

"i'm sick of people cancelling plans they have made with me...no-one keeps their word".

This person needs QUALITY TIME to feel loved.

" I always buy him presents, just little things to show ii care. i have to remind him its our anniversary...and he then asks me what i want. he doesnt know. he's tight. he hardly ever gets me anything and when he does i have to tell him what to get, when to get it...theres no joy in it then ."

Gifts to this person communicate love and that she is in his heart.

"i work long hours, i provide for the family, i come home and everyone is out doing their own thing, people come to me and ask me for money for this or that, and i give it. a little appreciation would be nice once in a while. I feel like an ATM, I feel like you guys don't think of me as a person...you just come to get what you need...then you're off'

This person is sorely in need of praise , thank you WORDS OF AFFIRMATION.

The thing to remember about love languages is that to judge someone else's are bad or wrong...just because its not natural to you.....is actually the root of so much strife and pain in relating.

I grew up and my mum was not materialistic at all, she made me beleive that being materialistic was 'bad' and that what you gave in acts of service annd being good towards others was 'good'.

I have since learned that gift giving is how some people feel loved..and so if they are in my life, then i need to learn their language. it doesnt have to be super expensive..its more that it means something , to them.

I have gone on a bit here...but i have shared this because it revolutionised my relating to others and to myself.

i stopped spending time with people who couldn't love me.

and started to activey choose others who could or were willing to learn my language.

still learning myself....but a lot of depression lifted for me in getting to grips with this very simple issue of 'expressed love'.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In most cases I would say no, but I lean toward some cases being demonic in nature. But only one who operates in the gift of discerning of spirits would be able to tell for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depression is not caused by demons as far as I can determine, but believing lies do play an integral part of the depressed person's life and lies do proceed from evil spirituality.

So even though most depressed people have a physical illness that causes them to become a depressed individual, some people become depressed because they use pain killers to treat chronic pain or suffer loss of loved ones, it are the lies they believe - feel/experience - about God, themselves and others, that cause depression to become so bad.

Many depressed life are from this perspective controlled by demons! For our truthful God has no place at all in lies, so such demons bring misery by the bucket loads into the lives of those who suffer them.

It is best to understand that depression lies by default to the depressed person's heart and mind, and that such lies believed can make a depressive illness basically unbearable and become godforsaken, hopeless, full of despair, regrets, unforgiven sins and so cultivate misery within us, and many strongholds of the devil. (See Revelation 9:1-19 describe the spiritual effects depression in lies has on and in us for example.)

I've have had a depressive illness since my teens, but the lies I heard and believed because of this depression brought me the pit and suicidal depression. However when Jesus, through the living word began to remove the lies hurting, then my suicidal depression went away as well and my misery disappeared though depression as an illness has stayed.

Today I still battle depression on an almost daily basis, but nowhere near as deep as I used to be before Jesus taught me to fight depression's lies with His loving truth.

So to say to a person's faith in God will heal depression has no turned out to be true and also untrue in my life! For though Jesus took my misery, hopeless, despair, regrets, unforgiven sins, past hurts, and the horrible gossip I heard and felt in my mind all the time towards myself (and God and other people as well,) away, my depression is still with me today, though the horrific mindless suffering is gone, and Christ's peace and love reigns over my depressed (mentally ill,) life instead.

I wrote a poem describe how this process displayed itself in my life from a Scriptural perspective.

All the best fighting the demons lying and that our Lord heal the misery depression brings so many on their way and if possible heal us physically as well so that we may serve and praise God healthy and joyful people.

:hug:

Twice Blinded

What destroyer, where would he be?
The deadly snake bite I didn't see!
Still part of myself was dragged away,
held captive there by wicked sway,
all the lies sown in my soul,
day by day taking control,
feeding my life lies and misery,
my good times became history.

Bringing thoughts and feelings around,
which are in no way sound,
rather inner kings cruel and strong,
those worldly ways so very wrong,
raising Babylon in all her might,
holding me captive in my fright,
denying grace to rule my ways,
mocking God in His face.

Horse hooves trampling my soul,
grass-hoppers devouring all,
scorpion stings stinging,
famine upon famine bringing,
brimstone burn everything to ash,
massive hailstones me to smash,
the darkness ever growing close,
for the goats got me by the nose.

So working for another's bread,
God's loving truth I forget,
thinking my world would always stink,
driving my good life to the brink,
yet there at the bottom of my might,
I finally began to see the light..,
..Jesus, whom I bring so much grief,
when I have that liar as my chief!

And so The Truth did shine on me!
His Spirit alive in my heart to see!
Oh what blinding light I saw there?
God's goodness displayed everywhere!
His love washing me white as snow!
His loving truth inside my life to flow!
Oh Lamb of God forever to be praised!
For from the dead I have been raised!

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>

Interesting that this is how you were healed brother but please don't assume that because this is how it was for you it will be like this for all of us.

Sin does cause depression in the lives of people who care about wrong but still do wrong anyway, however the fast majority of depressed people I have met and dealt with, myself included, this has not been the prime reason of our depression.

Like I said in a previous post usually depression is an illness but satan makes good use of that and in this way a depressed person can be stuck with demons, not because they are such bad sinners by default as you are trying to cast on people. This has the terrible danger of blaming the suffering person rather than compassionately helping them past the lies and so give them the ability to endure their physical illness without having to suffer chronic clinical depression spiritually because God's loving truth carries them through the valleys day after day.

So please brother don't spread more lies saying that personal sin causes people to be depressed and that repentance of sin is the way to be healed. For that is simply not true 100 percent of the time, even though it was true in your life, it has not been true in my life for example, for I have certainly repented of my sins and serve God daily and love Him immensely but still get depressed very often for my physical condition causing my depression has not been healed yet, so how do you explain that apart of implying to me that Jesus lied to me and He has not cleansed me from my sins and His loving support and peace in my heart are just an illusion, for demons cannot be in my heart at the same time as Him for I still get depressed? Such is thinking utter nonsenses surely?

Peace.

Hey Evil Ones!

See.., hear.., feel..?
Do, do, do is what you always yell,
have, have, have is what you always want,
take, take, take is what you always do,
permanently silencing those arising in opposition,
in darkness your evil deeds committing.
Yet what is it all for?
Your realities - the nucleus of wickedness - ruling life?
Who paid for the construction of your daily selves?
Knowing that you are not realising time as you should?
To be the ones after the making of your own waylaid egos?
(Yet perhaps, in retrospect, perishing the morning after,
each time some more - (Oh such a wonderful sight!))

Yet for now - rule.., rule.., rule..,
arrogance decreeing the moments,
inviting evil into being!
Fear.., guilt.., shame!
Much good is forced into hiding!
Innocence is perpetually raped!
Honesty has been imprisoned!
Malefic murderers stalk the night!
Cruel addictions dominate life's needs and desires,
threatening torture and grand scale genocide,
constantly striving for yet more mastery over life,
a great job at being free you are making of it.
Please tell - any excuse to validate your lives of dominant ascendency?
Will deceiving, hurting, robbing and killing life keep going unpunished?

Run.., hide.., mask..,so many lies!
Captivating souls in reigns that scourge,
spoofing perceptions into untrue opinions,
stealthy hypocrisy masques true intent,
turning peaceful good into evil lusts,
Pulling strings creating conforming puppets,
becharming, abducting, and imprisoning,
cowardly hiding behind the bushes along the route,
waiting for the innocent to come walking past.
Hey yellow - changed your colour as of late?
Any of your unveilings been upfront and honest?
Which fictitious identity are you using now?
Still hiding in the same shrouded place?
Hidden headquarters far below the surface?
Billing the cost of your power trip to whom?
How are you planning to abscond all that at The End?
Why will you not respond to any of these questions?
Or do your answers hate the Truth of Life's Light?

Curse.., swear.., yell..,
yes always huffing and puffing,
denying that serving Jesus is Loving Truth.
Tightening values even enforcing moral belts,
yet feasting on the lusts ensuing human flesh.
Flaming rebellion and holier-than-thou attitudes,
destructiveness trying good to accomplish bad,
securing guiltless hearts out of God's existence.
No love for truth is the rule behind wicked lies,
self exultation snaring human egocentricness,
suffocating, strangling, throttling,
till honest to God is out of breath, prayer faltering into a deadening hold, deception giving rise to lovelessness,
judgement towering over everything.

Twist, swerve, duck, jump,
and then into the attack,
with a cutting tongue to nuke.
getting it out in just one moment,those lying voices of contempt and defilement, cultivating dishonesty and lovelessness, threatening disgrace using guilty feelings, dimming internal lights - dulling comprehension, conquering and captivating even the young, twisting straight paths into covering-up tracks, how long before these devilish tongues will still?

You steal the goodness life has on offer!
For hey, that is what you must carry,
fading stars - falling meteorites of existence,
your woeful truths - evil self retaining - eternally!

For when The Truth comes,
His Light burning your lies,
how will you rule me then?
What power have you got?
Believing you, robs strength,
I myself believing your lies,
stealing my good life away.
You're the worst scum there is,
evil brood, vipers eggs hatching!
What else but to heed Jesus Christ,
our Heavenly Father's Loving Truth?
Jesus true God made Flesh and Blood!
He conquered all you evil ones!
I'll heed His truth instead of you,
how then can you hurt me any longer?

So hear me well

all you evildoers!
I tell you once, I tell you twice..,
I will never forgive wickedness
for being being evil!

OUT OF MY LIFE,

THE LOT OF YOU!!!!

I'll never again listen,

eat your crap,
or listen to beguiling lies!
God's love and peace
my truth instead!
Ruling with Jesus!

Hotter! Yes fry! Burn.., burn.., burn! What temperature

must the fire reach ere you loosen your deadly grip on humanity?

You controlling spirits,
ruling human beings,
defecating good
truth turning ugly.

Life's light within
is what you steal and murder
transforming our truth
into a most volatile fuel!

Can you escape
the flames you yourselves have lit?
The fact is - you always harmed life with your evil lies,
having no mercy on the sick, old, poor and weak ever.
Can you relent from all this
when you run out of time?
Those wicked thoroughfares
out of your back doors?
One big slide into the
gaping mouth called hell!
Your pained and hellish
anguish shall then be,
your thoughts
cashing your words
and your deeds!

As for me?
I shall finally break free,
and come and go as I like,
no more fear inside of me to strike.
Free from cruel imprisonments inwardly,
truly be as I was always destined to be.
A clear conscience - speaks of paradise,
shining like a star at night - I shall arise.
Genuinely the Lord's servant I shall be,
exulting The Way Jesus is also teaches me.
Lambs beside beasts of prey graze the field,
snake bites no longer poison yield.
I shall pick up my bed and walk,
no evil to my heart and mind to talk.
Receiving a kingship from eternity,
ruling my being in peace and prosperity.
This is what I pray will happen to my soul;
that God - The Father of Life - BE - All in All!

Come Lord Jesus, please come and collect The Chosen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know the honest answer to this question. I've had groups and people show me evidence that it is...and I've also been shown evidence that it's not. I just don't know.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else here has been told that they "had demons" and that was why they had depression. This is what was told to me - I partly believe it and always question it.

Gah - this point could be so much longer. I'm just opening up the topic because it is such a close one to my heart. Is depression caused by demons? If it is...I maintain that that doesn't make the person in any way a bad or evil person! This has just been such a confusing topic for me...

Hello,

My name is David and I'm one of the CF chaplains. I've had depression and tried to help people with it. For the most part I believe it is an illness and not caused by anything untoward. I've never been much for looking to evil or evil ones as a cause for things. But I've seen depression get better as a result of medical treatment and I urge that you talk to someone who is trained to help. As with my last post today I recommend a Licensed Professional Counselor or Licensed Clinical Social Worker who is a Christian. I also suggest that you talk with your pastor. Don't forget your family doctor. He/she could be a source of good, medical advice.

Are you willing to do these things? I've done them all at various points in my life and everything that I've recommended for you has worked for me and many others I've known.

So don't give up the ship. Seek help. God endows us all with various gifts to help and support one another. I believe that you also have a purpose in this life that has to do with helping others in some way. How do you feel about seeking out a way of helping someone else? This could be someone in your church and maybe even on this board. You'd be surprised at how many people would appreciate help of some kind. Some folks would feel better just to be acknowledged and shown that somebody cares. This season of Christmas is many things. One of the greatest things that it represents, after the Birth of our Savior, is that it is a season of hope. God bless you. I'm praying for you. It's going to be alright.

Faithfully,

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.