Is Church Optional for a Christian?

• Of course! Church is for legalists!

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Of course not! There isn't a single case of such thing in the New Testament.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • In certain cases it's OK.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Why wouldn't a Christian what to be a member of a church?!

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Yes. Churches are corrupt

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • No. Imperfect, yes, but we are commanded to join with our fellow Christians

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You think you are testing others, but its yourselves that have been tested. The stone rolls back on you. You forget that its not mans praise that we seek, nor is it he who commends himself that God approves, nor those who compare themselves among themselves that are wise. In the end its God who will judge all things.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The church is not a place you go to, it is something you are part of, that is if you are indeed saved and Jesus is truly your Lord and Savior.
Part of the church, which is the body of Christ.
I agree with this.
Going TO a church is also a good thing!
Depending on which church you go to!

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Part of the church, which is the body of Christ.
I agree with this.
Going TO a church is also a good thing!
Depending on which church you go to!

Not every church is a true church; however, there are marks of a true church. There are three.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not every church is a true church; however, there are marks of a true church. There are three.
Three what?
Three marks or three true churches?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Three what?
Three marks or three true churches?

Both. LOL!

Three marks of a true church.
  1. Preaching of the gospel (the gospel, not other junk)
  2. Administration of the sacraments (properly)
  3. Church discipline (can't leave wolves in the church or unrepentant sinners)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both. LOL!
:D

Three marks of a true church.
  1. Preaching of the gospel (the gospel, not other junk)
  2. Administration of the sacraments (properly)
  3. Church discipline (can't leave wolves in the church or unrepentant sinners)
Thanks!
Yikes.
more questions come to mind! lol
I already have a thread about what the gospel is...
Am curious about the other marks too but don't
want to derail, you know how much i hate to do that!
But i sure wonder what the three true churches are ;)
I know already that The EO and the RCC are "the one true
church" so that leaves two more
:p

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
:D

Thanks!
Yikes.
more questions come to mind! lol
I already have a thread about what the gospel is...
Am curious about the other marks too but don't
want to derail, you know how much i hate to do that!
But i sure wonder what the three true churches are ;)
I know already that The EO and the RCC are "the one true
church" so that leaves two more
:p

I appreciate your concern, but this thread has been derailed thoroughly, and I hate to do it as well, as I think it's in poor taste to derail a thread.

The three best churches that I have been to, and was a member of one:

Redeemer Presbyterian - New York, NY

Tenth Presbyterian - Philadelphia, PA

Capital Hill Baptist Church - Washington DC

The content of the gospel, according to the apostle Paul, is summed up in 1 Corinthian 15.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate your concern, but this thread has been derailed thoroughly, and I hate to do it as well, as I think it's in poor taste to derail a thread.

The three best churches that I have been to, and was a member of one:

Redeemer Presbyterian - New York, NY

Tenth Presbyterian - Philadelphia, PA

Capital Hill Baptist Church - Washington DC

The content of the gospel, according to the apostle Paul, is summed up in 1 Corinthian 15.
So hard not to go on bunny trails when discussing theology :)
Got saved in a baptist church :yellowheart:
I will look that up :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is being joined to a local body of believers, and under the authority of the church, optional or manditory for a Christian?

Is it personal preference, like toppings on a pizza, or is it obligatory and fundament for all Christians?

It is definitely optional and preferential. You do not need an edifice to worship, and to glorify God. In fact, much of the glorification of God, and worship happens OUTSIDE of Church buildings. The Church has no authority on the body of believers except being a haven for like-minded individuals who want to share in worship and instruction.

Christ said where two or more are gathered, He is in the midst of them. The entire population of persons who willfully worship God, and believe He is their savior who died and (lawfully) resurrected is the Church. Bible studies in dorm student lounges is Church Service. Two people on the street talking about, teaching/learning from each other and praising God is Church Service. (This goes back to the number of people "needed" to provide a rightful witness: two or more people. Thus, two or more persons in the Spirit are a witness before God in Christ. You do not need chandeliers, stained glass, painstaking architecture, steeples, pews, etc.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
this site is good and even has a church locator https://9marks.org/about/

You are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma! ;)

Last week you are recommending Osteen, and this week Dever?! I don't think that there are two more opposites in the universe! You are too funny. :)

I agree with you on one, but I'll leave you to figure it out.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 26:24 He who hates, disguises it with his lips,
And lays up deceit within himself;
25 When he speaks kindly, do not believe him,
For there are seven abominations in his heart;
That is a good Proverb, thanks for posting that. My heart definitely is deceitful (but hopefully circumcised) I rather just receive kindness as kindness because it's just too hard for me to tell unless I've met someone personally and know them.. hope that makes sense. Believing the best in others, just fills me with peace.. that's just me ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma! ;)

Last week you are recommending Osteen, and this week Dever?! I don't think that there are two more opposites in the universe! You are too funny. :)

I agree with you on one, but I'll leave you to figure it out.
Hey now! I said Osteen for encouragement.. not theology ;)

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a good Proverb, thanks for posting that. My heart definitely is deceitful (but hopefully circumcised) I rather just receive kindness as kindness because it's just too hard for me to tell unless I've met someone personally and know them.. hope that makes sense. Believing the best in others, just fills me with peace.. that's just me ;)

Show me a person who promotes Christ alone, instead of a certain denomination, and a person who says that we are all foolish and we are all brothers. Show me a person who says let God be true and every man a liar. I can agree with that. I find no comfort in division whatsoever. Church matters little but Christ matters in all things. Anyone can go to Church, and anyone can go to a bible school that promotes only a certain theology or denomination, and everyone is right in their own eyes. I reject all that however, and i choose to see only Christ and his commands that are given by the Lords words and his apostles, who wrote the NT. Many times debates over church attendance are used only to promote a denomination rather than Christ alone. That's what Church is for, to build us all up together, as one,, in the knowledge of Christ alone, not a denomination or its pet theology.

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a foolish man, and Christ alone is my wisdom. May God be true and every man a liar. Can anyone say amen to that? Can we all get on our knees and say "Christ alone"? Surely all these denominations are missing something or they would not be divided. What makes them better than me? Is it because they go to Church and i dont? Is that all? I worship God with all my heart mind and soul, i surely do. God knows. I dont go to church because of personal health reasons, but that doesnt stop me from worshiping God. God is on my heart and goes everywhere i go. Where can i go and not be in his presence? He sees every misdeed i commit, and he sees that i long for him and his spirit. I am not divided over any denomination, this doesnt make me better than others, but it might make my opinion a bit less bias, and perhaps valuable for that reason. I try to see blessing in all things.

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"And John answered and said, Master we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us". "And Jesus said to him, FORBID HIM NOT, for he that is not against us, IS FOR US" (Luke 9:49-50, KJV).

I believe this story answers the question you pose in this thread. "Is Church Optional" ??? In this case, a man who was apparently filled with the Spirit of God and a believer in Christ (he was after all casting out demons in the name of Jesus, which is what brought him to the attention of Christ's followers), nevertheless flat out refused to join the disciples of Christ and the Church. Was he condemned by Jesus for having sinned ? Not in the least. So who are you to judge me as a non-clerical, non-denominational Christian as not being "right" with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Will of God ???

Who are you to decide whom God shall choose, or in what manner a man may rightfully serve God ?! Does a clay pot argue with it's creator, (Isaiah 45:9) ??? There are more than a dozen pages in this thread, containing dozens of posts claiming a Christian must be a member of the Church in order to be right with the Gospel of Christ and the Will of God.

It is not me, who ignores the Gospel of Christ and the Will of God... but it is you my friends. As you judge, so shall you be judged.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"And John answered and said, Master we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us". "And Jesus said to him, FORBID HIM NOT, for he that is not against us, IS FOR US" (Luke 9:49-50, KJV).

I believe this story answers the question you pose in this thread. "Is Church Optional" ??? In this case, a man who was apparently filled with the Spirit of God and a believer in Christ (he was after all casting out demons in the name of Jesus, which is what brought him to the attention of Christ's followers), nevertheless flat out refused to join the disciples of Christ and the Church. Was he condemned by Jesus for having sinned ? Not in the least. So who are you to judge me as a non-clerical, non-denominational Christian as not being "right" with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Will of God ???

Who are you to decide whom God shall choose, or in what manner a man may rightfully serve God ?! Does a clay pot argue with it's creator, (Isaiah 45:9) ??? There are more than a dozen pages in this thread, containing dozens of posts claiming a Christian must be a member of the Church in order to be right with the Gospel of Christ and the Will of God.

It is not me, who ignores the Gospel of Christ and the Will of God... but it is you my friends. As you judge, so shall you be judged.

That text has absolutely nothing to do with church membership, but we have listed many texts that do, which you ignore at your own peril.

Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That text has absolutely nothing to do with church membership

So you are claiming the disciples and Christ and the followers of Christ DID NOT CONSTITUTE THE CHURCH at the time the incident in Luke 9:49-50 took place ??? ARE YOU SERIOUS ? Or are you just deliberately being OBTUSE ?!

Upvote 0