Is Church Optional for a Christian?

• Of course! Church is for legalists!

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Of course not! There isn't a single case of such thing in the New Testament.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • In certain cases it's OK.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Why wouldn't a Christian what to be a member of a church?!

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Yes. Churches are corrupt

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • No. Imperfect, yes, but we are commanded to join with our fellow Christians

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think to obsess over the need to go to church is to obsess over Christ. In my opinion, He's the ONLY thing we should obsess about.

I can't even begin to get my brain around all the excuses and rationals to not go, and God help me because my kids are leaving home soon, and if they choose to not attend church, I'm going to freak out, and fear they are not regenerate.

I'm pretty obsessed lately over trying to get Christians to simply read their bibles! I think it would please our Lord to believe the best about our brothers and sisters in Christ, and know that although it seems they are attacking, it is because of their passion for HIM and their genuine love for us.. (call me naive - but it sure offers peace).

Also what some consider tearing down, others might perceive as:

Prov 27:6 New International Version
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think to obsess over the need to go to church is to obsess over Christ. In my opinion, He's the ONLY thing we should obsess about.

I can't even begin to get my brain around all the excuses and rationals to not go, and God help me because my kids are leaving home soon, and if they choose to not attend church, I'm going to freak out, and fear they are not regenerate.

I'm pretty obsessed lately over trying to get Christians to simply read their bibles! I think it would please our Lord to believe the best about our brothers and sisters in Christ, and know that although it seems they are attacking, it is because of their passion for HIM and their genuine love for us.. (call me naive - but it sure offers peace).

Well said in every point.

There is this, as well:

"My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins." (James 5:19-20)

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Church is not Christ. Christ is the Church. Are you accusing people who dont go to Church of sin? Show me a perfect Church then. Show me one who is like the one in acts 4.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mathew 7:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Lamp of the Body
22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Mathew 7:5 First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Oh no they didn't!?
So how does that work then?
Do they say that it's no longer
An abomination??? Do they embrace
Homosexuality?
This is very odd imo

There are both very liberal and very conservative Presbyterian denominations. The PCUSA is very liberal, and the PCA is conservative.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are both very liberal and very conservative Presbyterian denominations. The PCUSA is very liberal, and the PCA is conservative.

Calling it liberal is glossing it over. It is apostate plain and simple. Many mainline denominational have become totally apostate. Thus we go back to an apostate church and say oh well they are liberal. A little leaven, leavens the whole lump.

The "church" is not a place you go to it is something you are part of. There is one church, those that belong to Jesus, it is that simple.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You never did answer my questions, maybe you missed them?

Are you a Pastor?

Are you a leader in any "church" in any capacity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Church is not Christ. Christ is the Church. Are you accusing people who dont go to Church of sin? Show me a perfect Church then. Show me one who is like the one in acts 4.
Is the church supposed to be perfect now? Brain fry.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I guess I am accusing them of sin (pride in it's most basic form), and I am even suggesting they aren't saved. Sorry if I need to extend more grace.. I'm part of the not-perfect-yet church.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I am accusing them of sin (pride in it's most basic form), and I am even suggesting they aren't saved. Sorry if I need to extend more grace.. I'm part of the not-perfect-yet church.

It's not even an issue a grace. We do no one favors if aren't truthful to them about this. You are being very gracious in answering and explaining.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They could accuse you of sin as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Are those who dont go to Church supposed to be perfect now? Take the speck from your eye friend.

I don't think anyone is perfect until GLORIFICATION. I will take the speck of of my eye and strive to every day -- thanks for the reminder. I also have a little rock on my desk that says "drop the rock" to remind me.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone is perfect until GLORIFICATION. I will take the speck of of my eye and strive to every day -- thanks for the reminder. I also have a little rock on my desk that says "drop the rock" to remind me.

Yes, no body has the right to speak truth anymore. Truth is relative. (unless you glory in men, then you alone have truth) I see the game being played here.

Upvote 0