Is Christianity about spreading theology or expressing the love of Christ?

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bourne said:
You might want to edit that, you used the wrong kind of formatting and it triggered the swear filter.

It's a lovely verse, indeed. Let me ask you this: when you share the gospel, A) does it end after Christ's crucifixion or his resurrection and ascension? B) Is the point of his resurrection (in your version) to save people or all of creation?

It would of course include the resurrection. I believe the intent is to restore all of creation, as many as call on his name.

Upvote 0
D

dbcsf

I ask this question because b/c it often seems people get so caught up on their own particular version of "Christianity" that they don't seem to embody the love that Christ taught.

I know that protestants where I live don't believe all Catholics are "Christians" and Catholics are taught protestants go to Hell.

I went to a Baptist school for 13 years and often if other Christians didn't match their own specific theological standards than they were considered heretics.

Obviously theology is necessary and quibbling over specifics will always be a part of Christianity. However is questioning how other people believe in Christ important enough to be insulting or condescending?

I have to ask is theology the central importance of Christianity or is God's love? When Christ asks us to spread the Gospel is he simply asking us to spread a system of beliefs?

Christ's command for the disciples was to "heal the sick, feed the poor, cast out demons" etc. I personally feel like those things should be first and foremost on our minds as they represent God's love and when we do those things we embody the will of Christ.

I believe theology has a purpose. Certainly it is not meant to separate believers from the love of Jesus. Excellent post, I agree it is best to respect each others theological viewpoints and focus on the love. People are not saved by theology, we are saved by the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

ldelporte

Feb 4, 2012
✟15,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately the enemy of God works to divide God's people, disrupting the unity God intended.

Regarding whether or not Christianity is about spreading Theology or Christ's love.. well, when you put it that way, a person almost HAS to answer with choosing "Christs Love."

But it's really not so simple. I understand your frustration. However, if someone truly believes that someone is following a false doctrine that will cost them their eternal salvation - wouldn't it then be the loving thing to do by sharing what they believe on the matter with that person?

I think it's good for people to not allow such discussions to become arguments. But it's not unloving to discuss doctrinal issues with other Bible believers.

Loving God and loving one another are certainly the two greatest commandments. I think just about all who claim to be Christian will identify with that. But don't be deceived into thinking that discussing theology is inherently unloving. It's all about how it's handled.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Xpistis sopheiaX. Christianity is always and for ever, showing and living the love of Christ. We can safely leave the spreading of theology to those, who have learned all about it. God is Love, Jesus died out of Love for God and for Man, and we are told, ( by Christ Himself) that God wants our love, freely given, and no conditions tagged on.
In Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40: Jesus says: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is like it: Love our neighbour as ourselves." ( neighbour being all we know and all we meet, whether friends or not friends) Then Jesus states this all-important fact: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and he Prophets." It is straightforward and easily understood and remembered.
We start by treating our neighbour as we would love to be treated: kindly and with friendly words, helping hands and encouraging smiles, apologies rather than sullen silence. God sees our sincere efforts, and God will approve and bless us. God will also know that we love God: Why?? Because we are following His Commandments to love and care.
Love is a Christian`s great weapon, love never let`s us down, and love changes, not only all things, love also changes people. We will slowly but surly, become different people, become " reborn." God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. Jesus our Saviour is ever ready to help and guide us, He will give us His Love and Joy, and He will also lead us back to where we came from: Jesus is The Way. Everything we say, or do, let it be from selfless love and care: let Love lead us on. St. Paul tells us in 1) Corinthians, chapter 13, verse 13: " Let faith, hope, and love abide, but the greatest of these is LOVE. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0