Is Christianity about spreading theology or expressing the love of Christ?

Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I ask this question because b/c it often seems people get so caught up on their own particular version of "Christianity" that they don't seem to embody the love that Christ taught.

I know that protestants where I live don't believe all Catholics are "Christians" and Catholics are taught protestants go to Hell.

I went to a Baptist school for 13 years and often if other Christians didn't match their own specific theological standards than they were considered heretics.

Obviously theology is necessary and quibbling over specifics will always be a part of Christianity. However is questioning how other people believe in Christ important enough to be insulting or condescending?

I have to ask is theology the central importance of Christianity or is God's love? When Christ asks us to spread the Gospel is he simply asking us to spread a system of beliefs?

Christ's command for the disciples was to "heal the sick, feed the poor, cast out demons" etc. I personally feel like those things should be first and foremost on our minds as they represent God's love and when we do those things we embody the will of Christ.

Heidiii

Oct 8, 2011
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ask this question because b/c it often seems people get so caught up on their own particular version of "Christianity" that they don't seem to embody the love that Christ taught.

I know that protestants where I live don't believe all Catholics are "Christians" and Catholics are taught protestants go to Hell.

I went to a Baptist school for 13 years and often if other Christians didn't match their own specific theological standards than they were considered heretics.

Obviously theology is necessary and quibbling over specifics will always be a part of Christianity. However is questioning how other people believe in Christ important enough to be insulting or condescending?

I have to ask is theology the central importance of Christianity or is God's love? When Christ asks us to spread the Gospel is he simply asking us to spread a system of beliefs?

Christ's command for the disciples was to "heal the sick, feed the poor, cast out demons" etc. I personally feel like those things should be first and foremost on our minds as they represent God's love and when we do those things we embody the will of Christ.

Hi, thanks for asking!

Yes, you are absolutely right. Loving Christ and accepting Him is far more important than theology ever will be. :)

Which is why I am a non denominational Christian.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

As you noted, theology is always going to be essential to Christianity. And primarily that's because even when we talk about spreading the love of Christ that fits into a theological place. Who is Christ? What is love? What does it mean to talk about God's love? What does the kind of love we're supposed to talk about mean and what is it like? These are theological questions that are tucked inside larger theological questions:

To speak about God's love is to ask the larger question about the nature and character of God. Which gets into what and how can we know about God and to what degree can and how can we know Him? How is God's love revealed to us? If it is revealed in Christ, what does that in and of itself mean? Is Christ simply a messenger relaying information, or is Christ able to convey God and God's love in a more immediate sense because Christ "is the image of the invisible God" (and then, what does this mean?" Is Christ Divine? If He is Divine what does that mean? Is Christ God? If He's God is He the Father or distinct from the Father? Is Christ part of God or entirely God? Is Christ simply a manifestation of God or an actual human person, the Incarnation of God (and specifically of the Son/Word). And so on and so forth.

To those ends theology is going to remain absolutely critical.

What you seem to be more concerned with however is whether sectarian allegiance should override our more basic allegiance to Christ (though in some ways that dichotomy may or may not be false).

It becomes rather difficult to parse it all together. For example, the Roman Catholic Church is never going to be able to say that other ecclesiastical bodies are "the Church" because of the foundational understanding of Christianity inherent in Catholic teaching. This doesn't mean, however, that Catholics don't recognize Christians outside of the Catholic Church (they do), only that since the Roman Catholic Church is (as understood in Catholicism) the very and same Church Jesus founded two thousand years ago when Jesus said to St. Peter, "you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My Church" it would be contradictory to the very nature of what it is and how it understands itself to suggest that other church bodies which have split away from it and from each other can be that same Church.

To give an analogy: If I begin a book club and I say, "This book club shall meet in Room 206 of such and such a building" as an identifier of that book club and if someone down the line says, "This club is doing it wrong, let's instead meet in Room 114 of this other building" it can't very well say it's the same club that I began.

That's how, in a sense, Catholics understand their Church. And if one believes what Catholicism says concerning a number of these particulars then it would be impossible to then say all these other independent church groups are the same thing we are since we're the very thing Jesus started.

Note, I'm not Catholic and don't agree with Catholicism concerning these things, only pointing out how that works.

I believe strongly in ecumenical and inter-church work through cooperation and open dialogue. I believe Christians from diverse traditions should be able to get along, love one another; but doing this without pretending we don't have our differences (because we do have our differences and we simply can't ignore that as these differences are critical to the very ways in which we approach and comprehend God, the Gospel, ourselves and the world).

Christ and the love of God should reign supreme in our lives; but we need to be willing to recognize that we don't always see eye-to-eye on what that means. And thus at times that means disagreement and quibbling over details (because often those details are quite significant).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason Catholics and Protestants take such opposite viewpoints is because they are indeed different religions. Catholicism and christianity are not the same thing. Anytime you add anything to 'salvation by grace through faith is Christ's work alone', such as baptism, sacraments, papal authority, or whatever, then you have a brand new religion, no matter how many similarities there may be.

The command given to the apostles in the 'great commission' was to make disciples among all nations, baptizing them, and teaching them to hold fast, or guard, all that Jesus said to us. It's very teaching oriented.

Time after time, the NT is filled with warnings against false doctrine, including my current forum signature, "I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
Romans 16:17-18"

It's clear we are to completely avoid those teaching a different doctrine, because they sway and manipulate the niave, and that's both in the church or out of it.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We need the love of Christ first and foremost then we need correct doctrine to properly express the Gospel. For ex. we must preach the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ or the preaching is false.

1 Corinthians 15:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

omanid

I'm not perfect; I'm forgiven.
Jan 10, 2012
✟9,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27

It seems to me that in spreading the love of christ one spreads their theology. It seems to me that you meant forcing theology down somebody's throat.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The love that Christ taught is a doctrine of Christianity. His doctrine of love is unique and specific and must never be confused for a different, lower kind of love. If one does not pay careful attention to Christ's doctrines and follow them, they may easily stray into counterfeit "truth" that produces spiritual blindness and confusion. This is why the apostle Paul wrote things like:

Galatians 1:6-9
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

I agree with you that doctinal issues can overshadow and blot out showing godly love to others, but the answer isn't to forsake a careful adherence to correct doctrine.

So, it's really important to find out who is right. They are saying contradictory things about each other's beliefs so they can't both be right. If one of them is wrong, or if they are both wrong, it is vital to know.

There are core, foundational doctrinal truths upon which Christianity stands that can't ever be fudged. On these a Christian must never flex. But there are also many peripheral, non-essential beliefs that get to be sticking points between believers. Such sticking points should take a backseat to God's commands to love each another.

Sometimes, calling a spade a spade is offensive. These days, simply telling someone they are wrong is considered an insult. But if they are wrong, it is one's duty as a believer and upholder of God's truth to say so. One doesn't have to be insulting or condescending in doing so, but sometimes, even when one isn't, one is still accused of being offensive.

Biblical theology and doctrine are the bedrock elements of the Christian faith. Separating our love for people from these bedrock elements is like trying to play a game of baseball without rules.

Why should one obey Christ's command? What is it about him that is authoritative? We find the answer in biblical doctrine. What is godly love like? How does it differ, if at all, from our own human love? We find the answer in biblical doctrine. Love divorced from truth - God's truth - quickly becomes a corrupt, human version of what God intends. And obeying Christ makes no sense apart from the underlying doctrine of his divinity.

Selah.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

I agree.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

Xpistis sopheiaX said:
I have to ask is theology the central importance of Christianity or is God's love?

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be both?

Why can't the Church fulfil it's Biblically mandated role of the edification of the Body of Christ, while showing God's love through evangelism and the proclamation of the Gospel?

Your post seems to imply that theology is bad, but the truth is, the Bible places quite a bit of emphasis on theology.

Not sure I see that in scripture. While those things are important, I don't see any description of them that indicates that they should be our first priority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be both?

Why can't the Church fulfil it's Biblically mandated role of the edification of the Body of Christ, while showing God's love through evangelism and the proclamation of the Gospel?

Your post seems to imply that theology is bad, but the truth is, the Bible places quite a bit of emphasis on theology.

Not sure I see that in scripture. While those things are important, I don't see any description of them that indicates that they should be our first priority.

Matt 25:31 and following. I agree with you about it being both theology and love. The Christian theology is love. First John. God is love.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are not trying to “sell” the nonbeliever on a theology, but a person. Jesus is like God on earth and God is Love, so we should be introducing people to Godly type Love and letting them accept or reject that love which is accepting or rejecting Christ/God.

I have friends in China and it is interesting that there is really no denomination in the underground church (it is growing rapidly). They present the Love of Christ to others and see if they like it enough to be a part, before talking scripture.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are not trying to “sell” the nonbeliever on a theology, but a person. Jesus is like God on earth and God is Love, so we should be introducing people to Godly type Love and letting them accept or reject that love which is accepting or rejecting Christ/God.

I have friends in China and it is interesting that there is really no denomination in the underground church (it is growing rapidly). They present the Love of Christ to others and see if they like it enough to be a part, before talking scripture.
I think all love for our fellow man expressed by compassion and action is Godly type love. What kind of love is not?

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
“If the gospel isn't good news for everybody, then it isn't good news for anybody. And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever."

Rob Bell

I came accross this quote on an atheist friend's FB wall today and I think it sums up the point I was trying to make better than I ever could. Ironic? =D

Thanks all for the replies, I'm going to have to reply in several posts b/c I don't know how to quote multiple people in one post >_<

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What you seem to be more concerned with however is whether sectarian allegiance should override our more basic allegiance to Christ (though in some ways that dichotomy may or may not be false).

-CryptoLutheran

I think I'm not worried about sectarian allegiance, as much as I am disappointed (at times disgusted) by how one group of people (who follow Christ) treat any dissenting group.

Mostly I feel some Christians are more concerned with spreading their own belief-system, more than they are concerned with embodying the love of Christ. IMHO treating other people with the respect and love Christ would show them, is more important than trying to convert them to your own personal viewpoint about what Christianity is and isn't. If you can't talk about theology without showing love then IMO you forfeit both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Time after time, the NT is filled with warnings against false doctrine, including my current forum signature, "I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
Romans 16:17-18"

It's clear we are to completely avoid those teaching a different doctrine, because they sway and manipulate the niave, and that's both in the church or out of it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding this viewpoint, however nearly everyone seems to think that their own doctrine is the "truth" and others are dissenters, heretics, and otherwise hellbound.

When the New Testament texts were written there was no official canon. Further almost every church on earth is going to say our way is the right way and other branches/traditions are the false gospel. Everyone has their own justification be it Biblical, traditional, or otherwise.

We can argue back and forth from here until eternity about what tradition is right and which aren't but we won't really gain anything from it. Everyone takes different evidence into account, has their own biases, and even views the exact same texts in completely different ways.

I'm just not sure that there is any benefit in theological certainty when it comes to many issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Matt 25:31 and following. I agree with you about it being both theology and love. The Christian theology is love. First John. God is love.

I think Christian theology should embody love but often it doesn't.

For example there are always "Christians" waving "God hates F- a- gs" signs and etc.

If one internalizes the teachings of Christ, than they should be loving. However many people who call themselves Christians and read from the same Bible wind up with a very different expression.

For me someone who berates people for being gay, or pretty much anything along those lines is someone who believes theology is more important than love.

But how can theology possibly ever be more important?

Theology is about logic. Love is not logic. They are two different aspects of Christianity and often the logic of theology is not followed by love. If your particular brand of theology doesn't always produce love shouldn't you re-evaluate it so your theology always follows love?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27

This is very much in line with how I view Christianity. It's about embodying the will of Christ and not becoming a "monster" or as the text says "polluted by the world."

I find myself being much more interested in living this way than adhering to one particular approach, believing I am correct, and trying to convince everyone to share the same viewpoint as myself.

As someone who is more concerned with seeking truth humbly myself, I feel less driven to try to tell people what they should believe.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes, calling a spade a spade is offensive. These days, simply telling someone they are wrong is considered an insult. But if they are wrong, it is one's duty as a believer and upholder of God's truth to say so. One doesn't have to be insulting or condescending in doing so, but sometimes, even when one isn't, one is still accused of being offensive.

Selah.

I would never disagree that Christianity (even my own very "liberal" branch/tradition) doesn't have real absolutes. However going around telling people they are "wrong" is insulting, whether they are wrong or not.

To me there is a real difference between debating viewpoints, stating your beliefs and evidence for them, and saying: "Hey buddy, you aren't a Christian!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P

Publius

“If the gospel isn't good news for everybody, then it isn't good news for anybody. And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever."

Rob Bell

Rob Bell is a wolf in sheep's clothing (and, quite frankly, the sheep costume is beginning to wear thin) and, from this quote, it doesn't look like he understands the nature of the Church. While it's true that we should be doing acts of charity, the Bible does make a very clear distinction between the Church's relationship to the regenerate and the unregenerate.

Mostly I feel some Christians are more concerned with spreading their own belief-system, more than they are concerned with embodying the love of Christ.

What if they're the same? For instance, you would, no doubt, disagree with the Bible's teaching that homosexuality is a sin. But if I don't share the Gospel with the homosexual, knowing that he is in danger of God's wrath on Judgement Day unless he repents, is that really loving?

Wouldn't the loving thing be to warn them of the danger of their behavior?

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding this viewpoint, however nearly everyone seems to think that their own doctrine is the "truth" and others are dissenters, heretics, and otherwise hellbound.

The problem with pluralism is that the Bible is not pluralistic. It contains an objective and authoritative code of beliefs. The Church, historically, has codified these beliefs into various creeds, confessions, and catechisms so that we can easily understand what is necessary for salvation, what is necessary for Christian growth, what is necessary for understanding the will and the works of God, the nature of God, etc.

One either believes these things or they don't, in which case, they are not a Christian and are going to Hell. That's a very unpopular thing to say in this Kum Bah Yah world we live in, but that's just what the Bible teaches.

When the New Testament texts were written there was no official canon. Further almost every church on earth is going to say our way is the right way and other branches/traditions are the false gospel. Everyone has their own justification be it Biblical, traditional, or otherwise.

I hear this from Roman Catholics, quite a bit. I can't find any evidence for this. We preach the same Gospel, worship with the same hymns, affirm the same creeds, confessions, and catechisms, participate in one another's services, etc. We frequently partner with a Presbyterian church in our evangelism efforts.

One of my favorite radio programs has a Baptist host, a Lutheran sidekick, and two Presbyterian producers. Although there's good natured ribbing about their differences, each of them makes it clear that their differences are very minor, non-essential issues.

I guess I'd be more inclined to believe your claims of disunity if I just didn't see unity everywhere.

IMHO treating other people with the respect and love Christ would show them, is more important than trying to convert them to your own personal viewpoint about what Christianity is and isn't. If you can't talk about theology without showing love then IMO you forfeit both.

If you're not sharing the Gospel with the lost, you have no right to talk about love.

I think Christian theology should embody love but often it doesn't.

For example there are always "Christians" waving "God hates F- a- gs" signs and etc.

Really? How do you know they're Christians? Does that really seem consistent with any description of Christianity you've ever read in the Bible?

But how can theology possibly ever be more important?

If I was your friend and I saw you doing something wrong, would I still be loving if I never corrected you about it?

This is very much in line with how I view Christianity. It's about embodying the will of Christ and not becoming a "monster" or as the text says "polluted by the world."

Do you think Christ's will is that we go to the unregenerate and present the Gospel to them? How about making disciples?

[wuotr]As someone who is more concerned with seeking truth humbly myself, I feel less driven to try to tell people what they should believe. [/quote]

Have you read your posts in this thread? So far, that's all you've done.

I would never disagree that Christianity (even my own very "liberal" branch/tradition) doesn't have real absolutes.

Actually, you just did when you claimed that each denomination has different beliefs.

However going around telling people they are "wrong" is insulting, whether they are wrong or not.

So, it's wrong to tell somebody that they're wrong when they're wrong? You do realize that your whole argument is based on telling us that we're wrong, right?

What if telling somebody they're wrong will stop them from making a terrible mistake? Should a nurse tell the doctor that he accidentally picked up the wrong bottle of medicine and is about to give a patient medicine that might kill him?

I read a story just yesterday about a Marine officer who mistakenly ordered a sniper to open fire on a group of Afghan men, only to find out too late that they were just children. Do you think somebody should have told him he was wrong?

To me there is a real difference between debating viewpoints, stating your beliefs and evidence for them, and saying: "Hey buddy, you aren't a Christian!"

What if they're not a Christian? Should we ignore the Bible's teaching that we're to tell them the truth? Would it be loving to let them believe they're saved, only to have them find out they're not when they stand before Jesus?

Upvote 0