...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are warned about anger. We are warned about the sounds that come out of our mouths, about how harsh and deadly the tongue can be..

James 1:19-21

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

So what's your point? Have you seen the words of secular rap these days?

Why do you keep going on about anger? I listen to thrash metal because I enjoy the sense of passion and energy in the music. To me listening to something like Believer's song Extraction from Mortality gives me the same sense of energy and passion as listening to Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain. But I don't suppose for a minute you'd start saying people should avoid the latter so they could concentrate on the teachings of the Messiah.

But hey, if your intention is to produce a really good circular argument then you're doing pretty well. Let's do the same in another way.

First off we can say we need to avoid anger and malice. Then I notice that I find rap music to be uninspiring and, musically speaking, junk. Listening to junk annoys me, and over time makes me angry. Therefore rap music is bad because we need to avoid anger. For good measure let's point out that "the world" (whatever that is today) listens to rap music, we are called to be not like the world, so we should not listen to rap music.

Presumably in your world someone trying to praise God with a severe throat infection creates a noise displeasing to God because their voice is so raspy?

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
This is hilarious, you're there holding a snake and you're saying that screaming relentlessly to your god (which sounds aggressive and angry i.e. thrash death metal) can be done without using the emotion of anger?? Ummm, ok, definitely bowing out now.. as this is starting to sound like something out of the matrix movie!

"Presumably in your world someone trying to praise God with a severe throat infection creates a noise displeasing to God because their voice is so raspy?"

LOL! So that's it! They SCRREEAAAAAM aggressively and continuously in thrash death metal at their god because of a....

'severe throat infection'

Well I would recommend lemon juice and honey for that ;)

Peace, or screaming and growling be with you ;)

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guys, to save this becoming a ping pong match, I'll bow out again, until someone new can bring something fresh to the table. In the meanwhile, read this again:
Peace out!

"Let me repeat that vital part of scripture once more. Now don't forget, this is coming from the blood brother of the Messiah of Yisra'el/Israel.."

" human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires "

More circular reasoning. Try this one:

Psa 150:1 Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; praise Him in His mighty heaven!
Psa 150:2 Praise Him for His mighty works; praise His unequaled greatness!
Psa 150:3 Praise Him with a blast of the ram's horn; praise Him with the lyre and harp!
Psa 150:4 Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing; praise Him with strings and flutes!
Psa 150:5 Praise Him with a clash of cymbals; praise Him with loud clanging cymbals.
Psa 150:6 Let everything that breathes sing praises to the LORD! Praise the LORD!

Let's look at some Christian thrash metal and see how it compares...

v1 - check, praising God is good
v2 - check, present and correct
v3 - Maybe not those precise instruments in this genre
v4 - strings are most definitely present
v5 - clashing cymbals, present and correct
v6 - praising the Lord, present and correct.

So where's the problem?

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
This is hilarious, you're there holding a snake and you're saying that screaming relentlessly to your god (which sounds aggressive and angry i.e. thrash death metal) can be done without using the emotion of anger?? Ummm, ok, definitely bowing out now.. as this is starting to sound like something out of the matrix movie!

"Presumably in your world someone trying to praise God with a severe throat infection creates a noise displeasing to God because their voice is so raspy?"

LOL! So that's it! They SCRREEAAAAAM aggressively and continuously in thrash death metal at their god because of a....

'severe throat infection'

Well I would recommend lemon juice and honey for that ;)

James 1:19-21
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Peace, or screaming and growling be with you ;)

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TMM99 said:
This is hilarious, you're there holding a snake and you're saying that screaming relentlessly to your god (which sounds aggressive and angry i.e. thrash death metal) can be done without using the emotion of anger?? Ummm, ok, definitely bowing out now.. as this is starting to sound like something out of the matrix movie! "Presumably in your world someone trying to praise God with a severe throat infection creates a noise displeasing to God because their voice is so raspy?" LOL! So that's it! They SCRREEAAAAAM aggressively and continuously in thrash death metal at their god because of a.... 'severe throat infection' Well I would recommend lemon juice and honey for that ;) James 1:19-21 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Peace, or screaming and growling be with you ;)
LOL Are you going to say that innocent snake I'm holding in my picture is evil now? You're something else. I'm not wasting my time on you anymore since you don't want to educate yourself.

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Nah, it's all symbolism as far as I can see it. You have a snake wrapped around your neck and you believe that you can scream loudly along with loud music without using emotion....

~()()()():~ ! ;-o !

Sorry you wasted your time, I was only trying to show you the destructive force behind the sound of 'Christian Thrash/Death Metal'..
Peace out!

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What's really hilarious is the way you can't separate your personal preferences from eternal theology.

If it really is an obvious as you make out that thrash metal is bad perhaps you could save our poor souls from eternity in hellfire and, you know, explain why? Bonus points for using specific Scriptural principles rather than vague comments based more on your preference than anything else.

So you don't like thrash metal. We get that. We don't have a problem with that, not everybody does like it. But the transition from "I don't like it" to "nobody should be listening to it" is absurd, unless you can back it with clear Scriptural calling.

Personally I dislike butternut squash. It boggles my mind to think of anybody willingly buying that rubbish, cooking it, and then putting the vile-tasting slimy gunk into their mouth and swallowing it. Maybe that's enough for me to say how obvious it is that no child of Christ should be eating such things. After all, if you're holding the snake and insisting on thrusting that vile slime into your mouth you're obviously beyond being reached with reason.

Upvote 0
L

Lord Of The Forest

I saw Virgin Black in concert a few years ago, and they performed a few numbers which required Rowan to scream; one of them was sustained so long, it's still one of the most remarkable things I've heard. After their set, they came out and mingled in the back of the venue while the next band performed their set. Were they angry? Not at all. They were some of the politest, quietest, most staid, and courteous people I've ever met.

I recall hearing the grunter from Within Temptation reveal that metal vocalists often consume large amounts of dairy prior to performance to give their grunts a phlegmy sound. They aren't angry; it's a style.

Things I've seen in this thread make me wonder if some people would call the actor a liar for pretending to be a someone else in his production.

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
OK, when/if you, I see our Creator, we scream, growl and as loud as we can and with phlegm curdling in our throats as we praise Him until we can't anymore and I simply just wonder how exactly, He would feel about it ;)

Now I'm not talking about a one off long held scream at the end of a song like you mentioned. I'm talking an album's worth, along with all the heavy music to back up our worship to Him...

I just can't see how something like that would be pleasing to Him somehow and I'm sure there would be a certain amount of spit that would hit Him. It just doesn't gel with me. Christian Thrash Death Metal is from below, not above ;)

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
After their set, they came out and mingled in the back of the venue while the next band performed their set. Were they angry? Not at all. They were some of the politest, quietest, most staid, and courteous people I've ever met.

This. I meet the guys from Betraying the Martyrs a while back, all of those guys were super chill, the grunter was actually fairly soft spoken. Its really not that unusual. Look at interviews, those guys are generally VERY soft spoken.
This is a interview from Memphis may fire, talking about some stuff in his life and his relationship with god. He is a christian but they arn't a christian band, though it does comes through in their lyrics quite a bit since he is the writer of the lyrics lol.

Inside UNCONDITIONAL with Matty Mullins - YouTube

This is a great song about looking below the skin and getting to know people

Memphis May Fire - Beneath the Skin (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You didn't even watch the interview, you didn't have the time to. If your not even willing to listen to a guy talk about his struggles, but you want to judge him and jump down and talk about how bad the and nasty and aggressive it is then I'm sorry, your garbage. I say that not because you have difrent taste, but because you are a troll, you come on here, and purposefully try to get a rise out of people. NO ONE is so stupid as to actual believe the arguments and circular logic you have displayed, I refuse to believe absolutely anyone is that idiotic, which can only mean your a troll, a worthless troll, who has nothing better to do than make people angry.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd prefer to do other things with my time than sort through demonic sounding Christian thrash metal music thanks!
Have you ever heard an actual demon, in real life? If not, how can you claim that any sound is demonic sounding?

"Good energy, bad energy... This sounds awfully subject and new age to me"

Sound has energy does it not? It has a force, it makes you feel, it creates mood right? Ultimately it is emotional, it has energy, they are called sound-waves. This is not new age, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
That still sounds New Ageish. New Age people are not above combining science with pseudoscience, and their spiritual beliefs. I've heard someone try to make the case for the doctrine of maya using some of what we know about atoms and matter, for example.

Back to music affecting mood. These thrash metal songs are aggressive, angry, and really nasty sounding. The vocalists must think that our Creator is somewhat deaf!
There's a place for anger. There's also a place for high-energy praise that doesn't sugarcoat this life. There are various songs that impact me so much that they bring me nearly to tears in worship, and they are in this genre. You don't have to like them, but all I would ask personally is that you respect true Christians in this genre of music as legitimate. That's what I do for every genre I don't like.

The way I see it. People here who are into thrash metal are supposed to be Christians, are supposed to have the Messiah in their lives, hearts and to put His teachings into action. They are supposed to be freed from their chains, healed from past hurts, to not go back but forward, but, that takes repentance to complete and going by some of the shouting and tone of anger in some of the comments, maybe they still like this music because they fail to complete their side of the requirements of being a disciple of the Messiah. You are supposed to find peace, if you find peace in thrash metal then read the scriptures...
I have had an increase of peace and maturity over the years, where I have listed to a lot of extreme music. There have been times in my life when I fasted from it, and I reaped no benefit. In fact, for me it actually steers me in the right direction when I get angry, those lyrics steer me right back home. Whereas the kind of music that many Christians find popular would just aggravate me further rather than leading me to peace. That's just how my mind reacts to the music.

The way I see it, you can't sing a lullaby to a baby by screaming at it whilst thrashing about an electric guitar cranked up on a marshal amp.
Oh you of little faith. My baby niece rocks out whenever I see her (some songs work better for that than others). :)

LOL! crying out to....satan more like! that's just terrible sounding. It sounds like the guy is about to grab a machette and start hacking people to death!
"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." - Matt. 7:1-2

I'd prefer to listen to worldly pop music like coldplay than to have to listen to music as nasty as this o_O
That's my opinion and I stand by it.
Well, at least we have you on record. :) I personally am not asking you to like a genre that you don't like, I'm just asking you not to judge it wrongfully.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
And hey! don't be so 'nasty'......you see? You are manifesting the bad energy that comes from this terrible music :(
I'm not a Christian, but this is just absurd.

I have a lot of music with harsh vocals and almost none of has "bad energy" in terms of message or emotion. Aggression is not inherently negative or angry, but powerful, inspiring and sometimes cathartic. It is a release and some of these bands are incredibly melodic. That you don't understand it, fine, but it is an acquired taste, not for everyone.

Also the linked song to you was not Thrash Metal or Death Metal, but Metalcore.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just can't see how something like that would be pleasing to Him somehow and I'm sure there would be a certain amount of spit that would hit Him. It just doesn't gel with me. Christian Thrash Death Metal is from below, not above ;)

I see. So it doesn't gel with you, therefore it's evil. A curious theology.

I find butternut squash to be utterly revolting. Presumably I can therefore assume that it is demonic and anyone who eats it is dining with the devil?

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The reason I'm saying this is because as I was surfing through Christian metal bands on YouTube. I ran into a debate on one of the videos about how some Christians don't want their kids listening to "devil music". And some Christians were fine with it. In my mind i see no problem with it. Want do you guys think?

I remember all of this back in the 80s. I was very young but I still remember it being a hot topic in the Baptist Church I was raised in. I personally do not believe it is evil. Music in of itself is not inherently evil. When you run across videos and websites like the one your referring too you need to be careful. These people are so misleading in there misinformed bigotry its quite sad actually. They will usually portray themselves as experts in the field when really they have no clue as to what they are talking about. They will hit you with circular and strawman arguments left and right. Some of them can be quite scary in there condemnation if you disagree with them then you are in of yourself demon possessed or being controled by forces of darkness. I remember those old Godwinn books back in the day. Most people like this are obsessed with demons being in everything giving satan far more power than he actually has. A lot of them think they have this Holy Spirit connection that no one else has so be very careful with these people they are dangerous and deceitful only presenting the skin of the truth wrapped in a big fat lie as my favorite Pastor Walter Martin used to say. Honestly though these people arent bad and some do genuinely have concerns I just disagree with there conclusions and there inability to be corrected when they are proven wrong

Last edited:
Upvote 0