ChristFollower19

Sep 15, 2014
California
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The reason I'm saying this is because as I was surfing through Christian metal bands on YouTube. I ran into a debate on one of the videos about how some Christians don't want their kids listening to "devil music". And some Christians were fine with it. In my mind i see no problem with it. Want do you guys think?

rich1540

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find metal really bad.

Isn't all Christian music generally bad? I get tired of listening to, let alone being expected to sing it, the Hillsong crap that predominanted the only two services I've been to in the last twenty years. So I imagine Christian Metal is really really bad.

I quite like metal crossover bands like Deafhaven myself. Notice how they spell what you'd expect as death as deaf. They aren't subscribing to the black T-shirt BS in other words. I suspect they are being ironic.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTY9WbMGDc

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
yea... its "horrible". The only people who think metal is "bad" are people who are willfully ignorant. Below are a couple of lyric videos of bands that are either christian or were christian but arn't anymore due to lineup changes(oh sleeper). If any christian that can find a problem with these lyrics then I'm honestly going to call bull on it. Christian metal is one of the most expressive christian music Ive ever listened to, I honestly, do not think its possible to explain the anguish over ones past, or the extreme emotion upon you at salvation through a "hillsong" type band. The first thing I'm going to post are some interviews/speaking/testimonies

Wolves a the gate interview

Clip from mattie montgomery's speaking album. He is the vocalist (or screamer) From "For today"

Jake luhrs testimony - he is the vocalist (or screamer) in august burns red

SONGS (all have lyrics IN THE VIDEO so you can understand if not use to screaming)

August burns red - Redemption (the best worship song I think ive heard in my entire life)

For today- Dead to rights

Wolves at the gate- The fathers Bargin (parts of the song are from gods point of view, its pretty easy to tell which is which though, GREAT song)

Oh sleeper - son of the morning/Finisher (first and last songs on the album respectfully, the first song "son of the morning" is mostly from the point of view of the devil while "finisher" is from the point of view of god. The whole album is about spiritual warfare. Obviously these songs are works of fiction however I think they are completely plausible and in line with scripture.

Oh sleeper - A banquet for traitors (honestly, I feel like this song was written by me its so simialr to situations Ive found myself, the video doesn't have the lyrics but I'm posting them below) I love this one line, god says "whats makes you think you can deserve me" just puts everything in perspective.

Again, I wake to you...
Stand up, these feet are so far from clean.
I'm undeserving of the strength in your arms used to save me.
But years passed when I saw Eve next to me, she's wrapped in low-cut, dripping sensuality.
I remember the host, but it's been so long since we spoke.
He said, "My son, you can hold perfection in your arms if you wish." but I sit at a banquet for traitors
placed here between a thief and a liar.
"Just run and hold perfection in your arms as I slip..." but I'll make you the god of a liar cause I've been both a saint and a viper.
I'll make you the god of a liar.
I am a lie, just like these traitors that cry for forgiving replies but keep their grips held tight.
Though my eye's on Eve you're ready to bleed as if I'm royalty but I am no king. I am no king.
His life spilled like a tide so divine.
It was a blood soaked feast that never ceased as his veins dripped empty.
With such violent grace, the waves hit my face and in painful clarity I turned fearfully...
"What makes you think you can deserve me?
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN DESERVE ME?"
My host fell to His knees as paling lips pushed His plea...
"My son, you can hold perfection in your arms if you wish." but I sit at a banquet for traitors, placed here between a thief and a liar.
"Just run and hold perfection in your arms as I slip..." but I'll make you the god of a liar cause I've been both a saint and a viper.
By grace uneven, at the banquet portrayed, through death, this life is saved.
But I am no king! I am no...
"Open your eyes, child, your sea is changing."

Another set of lyrics I like is by the band August burns red in their song provision are

I'm sick
I need sight
I need help
I need you
And I'm not getting any better

I am the deceiver
I'm not getting any better
I'm the thief, the harlot, the murderer

It's times like these, it's times like these
You forget to remember who you are
The way up is down
Truth is found

I'm just as much the problem as the man behind bars
He did with his business what I do in my heart

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I'm saying this is because as I was surfing through Christian metal bands on YouTube. I ran into a debate on one of the videos about how some Christians don't want their kids listening to "devil music". And some Christians were fine with it. In my mind i see no problem with it. Want do you guys think?

Anyone who says metal is "devil music" needs to define how much distortion can be applied to a clean guitar sound before God steps aside and hands it over to the devil. They could also define how soon after playing one note you're allowed to play the next note before it becomes satanic.

People who say metal is of the devil really don't know what they're talking about. Music is like fire - you can use it to warm yourself at night or you can use it to burn someone's house down. The fire isn't good or evil, only the person ab/using it.

Reactions: FireBrimstone
Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I find the term Christian metal to be a bit like wolf in sheeps clothing. I'm not a fan.

How is it a wolf in sheeps clothing? Its just music? thats like saying anyone who wears blue shirts with writing on it is a wolf in sheeps clothing, no, its all dependent on what the writing SAYS.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How about sheep in wolves' clothing?

How would it be that either? thats assuming that metal is inertly bad. If thats the case how is it? Does dissonance make something bad (early chant music in the pre-tonal period followed this philosophy, they assuming anything with dissonance was from the devil, which is absolutely absurd). Is it the lyrics that make it bad. Even in non-christian bands typically have good lyrics, or at the very least talk about deep topics. The ones that don't are generally REALLY looked down on in the metal community.

To top it off, musically, most of the time metal is far and above "better" (I hate that term but I'm going to use it for this example). What I mean by better is it is much more complex and techincal, on a musical level, than other modern musical genre's (obviously there are exception). Don't take my word for it, if you know anyone who is a drummer go ask them how hard metal drums are. Most likely they are going to tell you its extremly hard because the 2 hardest genre's of music for a drummer are jazz and metal.

Is it bad because of the way people look? Look at this video, does this guy look like a horrible person to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mFYBaDQpw

In fact, most of the time that band plays in polo shirts lol. I mean, MOST metal heads don't look remotely like this
http://www.steffmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/metalhead.jpg

Ive got friends that have toured with lots of metal bands, they look and act just like normal people, in fact most of the time the people in metal bands are very soft spoken, especially the vocalist (The screaming guy). I'm the same way, i get all my aggression or whatever out in the music, my personality is just a really soft spoken guy.

Heck, In this video all of those could have walked off the photo shoot, and gone into pretty much any church and no one would give them crap about how they look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k3eZFQKYmA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

Lord Of The Forest

Those who would wish to say that metal (or any music with a 'rock beat') in inherently sinful have begun with a misguided assumption, and have carried it to an extreme.

While there are some metal bands Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, et al. who try their hardest to sound terrible, there are some truly majestic metal bands and songs.

Those who dislike metal are advised not to listen to it, and if their conviction is that it is sinful, then listening to metal may be a sin to them.

Metal does not need to be chaotic; on the contrary, it can be quite orderly and well built. Here is an example from a band who used to be affiliated with the Christian community. I'll give you a hint: You won't here a single scream, but you'll hear two classically trained singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhmy2LNa-M0

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged

Hya!
My take on the matter is that Christian death metal is a big no no! There is a bad energy about it. Regular Christian metal with good vibez and energy is I believe quite good at times. But screaming to crazy cranked up riffs and constant fast drumming is simply head-ache material and non-edifying.. :o

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
You could make a death metal song with biblical verses in it for sure! but wouldn't it sound like you're trapped in hell or not? I believe there is a bad energy to death metal and I'm not an advocate for Christian death metal, it's terrible in my opinion but each to their own taste..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You could make a death metal song with biblical verses in it for sure! but wouldn't it sound like you're trapped in hell or not? I believe there is a bad energy to death metal and I'm not an advocate for Christian death metal, it's terrible in my opinion but each to their own taste..

There is absolutely no "bad energy" in ANY style of music, outside of what the writters intended, saying that simply shows you do not understand the first thing about music.

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
"There is absolutely no "bad energy" in ANY style of music, outside of what the writters intended"

That is your opinion and I accept that, you are entitled to it, but my opinion sticks. Death metal has a terribly bad energy behind it and to make Christian music through that medium is tragic for everyone involved :/

I am a musician so I do understand music. Like I said, each to their own liking but you obviously don't like my opinion and have to resort to personal insults, it speaks volumes for the type of 'Christian' you are *sigh*

Can't you stick to discussing musical likes and dislikes, instead of personal insults?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"There is absolutely no "bad energy" in ANY style of music, outside of what the writters intended"

That is your opinion and I accept that, you are entitled to it, but my opinion sticks. Death metal has a terribly bad energy behind it and to make Christian music through that medium is tragic for everyone involved :/

I am a musician so I do understand music. Like I said, each to their own liking but you obviously don't like my opinion and have to resort to personal insults, it speaks volumes for the type of 'Christian' you are *sigh*

Can't you stick to discussing musical likes and dislikes, instead of personal insults?
Thanks!

So who gets to define what energy is "good energy" and what is "bad energy"?

If you want to talk of "bad energy" behind music, where does it start to appear? Is a thrash metal song like, say, Vengeance Rising's "White Throne" full of "bad energy"? If not, what about something like "Attention Please" by Whitecross?

It might sound like I'm being flippant here but it's a serious question. If you want to say that music has "bad energy" that's unhelpful you need to be able to specify what music has this mysterious "bad energy" and where lines are drawn. Along the way you inevitably set yourself up as some kind of arbiter of objective standards, which is always unfortunate when so much about music is a matter of subjective taste.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Thanks!

Do you understand, that your statements are nothing new? All through history the EXACT same argument has been used over and over and OVER. In early church history they actually believed that music should ONLY be used for gods glory and even held you shouldn't listened to it purely for your own enjoyment. Obviously this sentiment degraded over the years. In early church music anything more complex than this was borderline heresy.

Tecum Principium (Christmas, Gradual) - YouTube

If you had anything even REMOTELY more complex it was seen to be sensual. Fast forwards some and we get into a period where opera is starting to take off. The church opposed writing religious music in the style of opera and dance music. Keep in mind, when I say dance music I'm talking classical music, think bach dance suits

Bach : Dance Suite 2 - Karl Münchinger - YouTube

I hardly doubt you would consider that worldly or sensual music and I doubt you would oppose writing religious music in that style. However if you were to try to defend this style of music in the early church you would have had the very arguments you are using against metal used against you, except probably they would be even more zealous about it.

I don't understand how you can't take songs like this one, and say thats its bad, or not worshipful to god. What is more worshipful than crying out to god through song!

Redemption by August Burns Red - YouTube

OR this one that is more melow

Wolves at the Gate - Awaken w/ Lyrics - YouTube

Or how about this one

SAVING GRACE "Shekinah" lyric video - YouTube

Do you honestly believe that this worship music is some how lesser than what you like? do you honestly believe god doesn't want to hear his children cry out to him? Do you really think god really cares about what specific chord progression is used, or the notation, or the instruments?

Upvote 0

TMM99

Nov 3, 2014
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I'd prefer to do other things with my time than sort through demonic sounding Christian thrash metal music thanks! I don't care about the content of lyrics, it is the constant heavy sound and energy that is created with all that horrible and un-edifying screaming and noise. They could scream all they want about their faith, it just doesn't gel with me, that's all..

I have an opinion, so do you, they are in opposition so lets bow out and continue with our days ;) If you enjoy the music that I find terrible then I respect that, but you should respect that I do not like it. I like some Christian metal, not much though, I still haven't heard that special band that can be simply original.. but that goes for all bands, there just aren't many who are original sounding :/

Upvote 0