Is inappropriate behavior with animals bad?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A rather moot question isn't it? We could hypothetically get derailed and talk about animal morality, whether it exists or not, what it's like, etc. But that's hardly relevant.
You are missing the point. The point is; consent is something humans made up, and it only applies to humans. if we were to apply such standards to animals, within a few years there would be no more animals left because they are incapable of giving consent.

K

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You are missing the point. The point is; consent is something humans made up, and it only applies to humans. if we were to apply such standards to animals, within a few years there would be no more animals left because they are incapable of giving consent.

K

And yet I fail to see how this relevant. Honestly. Are you suggesting that human beings forego their higher moral criticism in their rational activity (i.e. indulge all baser animal desire or instinct)? Or that we hold non-sapient animals to the same higher moral standards that we submit ourselves under?

Otherwise, it seems--again--like a somewhat moot point to be brought up.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
inappropriate behavior with animals cannot fall under the Levitical prohibitions because most of those were directed at the pagan public worship practices. The Old Law was nailed to the cross by Christ (Col. 2:14).

Rubbish.

The scripture condemns the act regardless of the occasion, and Col 2:14 is not a licence to sin.

With the 'consent' issue tossed out, we would make rape of the animal no worse than the killing of it for our food.

It is the presence of, and reliance upon, the consent aspect that makes inappropriate behavior with animals no worse than killing an animals for food, because if we do the latter without requiring its consent (and we do) then we can do the former (which is less of an act, just as rape of a human is less of an act than canibalism).

Why are you desperate to replace God's law with your own judgement? Do you not know that this was the sin of Eden?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And yet I fail to see how this relevant. Honestly. Are you suggesting that human beings forego their higher moral criticism in their rational activity (i.e. indulge all baser animal desire or instinct)? Or that we hold non-sapient animals to the same higher moral standards that we submit ourselves under?
No I am saying this act is wrong, but not because of the consent issue; if you wanna explain WHY it is wrong, you need to come up with a better reason than a lack of consent from the animal

Peace
Ken

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
No I am saying this act is wrong, but not because of the consent issue; if you wanna explain WHY it is wrong, you need to come up with a better reason than a lack of consent from the animal

Peace
Ken
So why would YOU say its wrong?

Upvote 0