Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jimmy Kimmel says "A moment ago you said God forbid, you say you're culturally Jewish, do you believe in God? Bernie instantly says, "No" while Jimmy is mid sentence
Jimmy goes on to ask: And do you think that's important to the people of the United States?
Bernie Sanders replies: Well I am what I am, and what I believe in, what my spirituality is about, is that we're all in this together. I think it's not a good thing to believe that as human beings we can turn our backs on the suffering of other people.
http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Bernie_Sanders

I'd rather have a president who governs like Jesus would than one who merely pays lip service to him.

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I found video
http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.682069
I can't be at all sure of that vocalisation as "no". It looks more like a small "yeh" to me, acknowledging the question that coming. .
Having said that his focus is clearly first on being a humanist, whatever his technical theological beliefs might be.
But his answers to "what, as human beings, should we be doing?" appear to have definite overlap with the answers I'd expect from many Christians.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of the public obsesses over whether a candidate is a Christian. IMO, we Christians would do much better to ask ourselves whether we are Christians. It is not so important whether we manage to get "our people" into positions of authority but whether we use the tools that we have (such as the right to vote) to love our neighbors as ourselves. Taking shortcuts like asking who decorates his or her speech with Christian vernacular can only lead to corruption, and concerning ourselves with getting "our people" into office will almost certainly work against us and the people toward whom we have a responsibility.

"But atheists/Muslims/whomever will make gains!"

Who cares? Are you worried about your own diminished influence? Is your power really so much more important than the well-being of the poor and the oppressed ("the widow and the orphan")? Instead, why not be a Christian and let God worry about whether a Christian is in power? Besides, I can guarantee higher quality Christian candidates if people stop voting for ostensibly Christian personalities.

Whatever Bernie's religious beliefs, he certainly advocates a lot of policies and points of view (and has a history of supporting such things) that demonstrate compassion for the people who have gotten (and are getting) the short end of the stick. Just food for thought.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather have a president who governs like Jesus would than one who merely pays lip service to him.

Read Matthew 25 and when you vote remember Jesus is not running...but of who is, who is acting like Jesus in how they treat us and our neighbors? The two they choose for you to pick from are all deceitful liars ready to get in and play the existing games...

I believe Bernie (faith or not) is more Christian acting and intending than either Trump, Rubio, or Clinton....besides I am weary of the two party system...I want to some "people" politicians not "party" politicians...

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Would Jesus dismiss poor whites?

No.

I presume you have a clip of Bernie Sanders doing this?

He does. Bernie was rather inelegant in eliding the distinction between race & class in the last debate. Not that those issues are something nightflight actually cares about, mind you. He just wants to take a dig.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He does. Bernie was rather inelegant in eliding the distinction between race & class in the last debate. Not that those issues are something nightflight actually cares about, mind you. He just wants to take a dig.

No, he was pandering, as progressives are apt to do.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bernie Sanders replies: Well I am what I am, and what I believe in, what my spirituality is about, is that we're all in this together. I think it's not a good thing to believe that as human beings we can turn our backs on the suffering of other people.

So he'd just prefer to pass the suffering on to everyone else. Misery loves company.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So he'd just prefer to pass the suffering on to everyone else. Misery loves company.
The idea is that we are all in this together. I know... crazy right? A community that works together... What a concept!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Jimmy Kimmel says "A moment ago you said God forbid, you say you're culturally Jewish, do you believe in God? Bernie instantly says, "No" while Jimmy is mid sentence
Jimmy goes on to ask: And do you think that's important to the people of the United States?

I’m surprised that people are not jumping on this.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The idea is that we are all in this together. I know... crazy right? A community that works together... What a concept!

Making other people poor and miserable in order to make the poor and miserable feel better about their plight isn't a viable economic solution.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I’m surprised that people are not jumping on this.

It was good enough for Popeye.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Does it hurt so much to alleviate a little bit of someone's suffering that it ends up with the total of misery being preserved?

From observation I'd say Spider Robinson has a better understanding
"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased—thus do we refute entropy."
(Callahan's Crosstime Saloon)

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Making other people poor and miserable in order to make the poor and miserable feel better about their plight isn't a viable economic solution.
Having poor, miserable, unhealthy people is okay as long as some get theirs, doesn't sound like a morally justified position. It also doesn't seem to be economically viable either. Well, except for those few who got theirs....

Upvote 0