Is being SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT biblical.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd be very wary. Yes, you can go to the charismatic forum and ask questions but be wary there as well. It'd be like going to a Jehovah's Witness forum and asking if their beliefs are Biblical. Take what you hear and pray and read your Bible. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, pray (without ceasing) that God show you His Truth and only His Truth. I know from experience that doesn't happen overnight but if your heart truly desires His Truth, you'll find it.

I spent a lifetime in churches like this with prosperity teachings, being slain in the spirit, holy laughter and the works. Find a church that really preaches the Word and not just 'certain words' out of the Bible.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Caliban said:
Want to see the aftermath of the slaying?....This is NO joke and very very serious....this is no spirit of God!

http://voiceofwarning.com/bostonchurch.ram

you will need RealPlayer to watch this disturbing Video

:eek:

any other link ? Real audio is baned from my system because of all the Garbage it installs.

Upvote 0

oneshot012

Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Acts 9

Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
3 As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. 4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”

Revelation 1

12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

There are two verses in context of people falling under the power of God. These people were so overwhelmed by the presence of God that they couldn't stand.

Now I am not saying that everytime you fall over that you are "slain in the spirit". Look it has never happened to me and I am about as charismatic as they get. But I have seen the real thing. I was catching in one service and my freind hit his head so hard because I mist him and he landed on this cabinet that we have and everyone heard it and he didn't feel a thing there wasn't even a mark and I tell you at least 12 people saw it and ran over to him, but nothing he got up 5 minutes later and was fine.

The power of God can come in such a mighty way sometimes it just overwhelmes us I mean God over whelmes us and sometimes he uses humans who are willing as his vessels of his power to do great works in his name and sometimes people fall under. Does that mean that some people fake it? Yes but that doesn't mean there isn't a real experience going on.

Upvote 0

Katherine_van_Orvelte

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Quantos said:
I find two types of examples in the bible of this.

1) People who are comming aginst God fall back. (John 18:4-6)
2) People who are seaking God fall prostrate (Face down foward)

My $0.02

Yes, and both of those remarkable episodes were....remarkable.

I don't think we should try to take the remarkable and force it into everyday worship experience and turn it into something its not.

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jacquidube said:
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
What are other peoples opinions on this please.

A reading of the following Scriptures will show that when men (or women) came before the Lord in worship, or obedience, or reverence, or awe, they always fell forward upon their faces.

Genesis 17:1-3 and 15-17; Numbers 22:31; Joshua 5:13-15 and all of chap.7;
1 Samuel 5:1-5; and 17:49; 1 Kings 18:7; 2 Chronicles 20:18; Ezekiel 1:28 and 3:23 and 9:8 and 11:13 and 43:1-3 and 44:4; Daniel 8:15-19; Matthew 17:1-7; Luke 5:12 and 17:11-16; 1 Corinthians 14:25.

In the two places where anyone fell backward as happens in the so-called "slain in the Spirit" demonstrations so common in radical charismatic circles, the reason was because of the presence of God in a judgemental sense. These are found in Isaiah 28:13 and John 18:1-6.

There is another event where Eli fell backward off a seat upon hearing the news of the ark of God being taken by the Philistines and the death of his two sons, in 1 Samuel 4:12-18, but this hardly qualifies as being illustrative of the subject at hand.

W.A.B.
p.s. sorry about the big type.. pasted it from saved writings... Also jaquidube, listen to OreGal's advice, it's good.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Katherine_van_Orvelte said:
Yes, and both of those remarkable episodes were....remarkable.

I don't think we should try to take the remarkable and force it into everyday worship experience and turn it into something its not.
I find it offensive that you would imply that anyone is forceing anything. This is a gift from God Apparently it's ok for you to offend others and their beliefs and worship but when it's towards you and your church and your beliefs you demand the upmost repect.

Being slain in the Spirit is a physical reaction to a gift that has come from above, from God. And if it is practised in every service or everyday then AMEN!

Upvote 0

Katherine_van_Orvelte

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
nephilimiyr said:
I find it offensive that you would imply that anyone is forceing anything. This is a gift from God Apparently it's ok for you to offend others and their beliefs and worship but when it's towards you and your church and your beliefs you demand the upmost repect.

Being slain in the Spirit is a physical reaction to a gift that has come from above, from God. And if it is practised in every service or everyday then AMEN!

I simply don't think the biblical evidence warrants it to be a constant expection. Not the way that it is used in Pentecostal churches as a preferred method of worship.

I don't think it should used as a standard of determining salvation.

I think using it as such a standard is a spiritually detrimental belief.

I think the expectation and the standard breeds a atmosphere of conformity.

That's what I think.

btw-
I wasn't referring to people forcing people to do anything. I was referring to forcing a biblical text to establish a practice it does not refer to.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nephilimiyr said:

Sadly, Satan, has a delight in counterfeiting things and from my experience, for every single instance of speaking in tongues (at least something which is obviously not counterfeit) or slain in the spirit, there are volumes of counterfeits. This, in and of itself, wouldn't be so bad, but no one is interested in identifying counterfeits. I've sat in a church before where someone simply starts out in holy click clack bug talk followed by a forced and unBiblical interpretation only to have the pastor exclaim "See, a message in tongues."

Perhaps in "Mimic"...

So, yes, many people do try and force things. And, I see very few checks in place to prevent it.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's biblical myself. I also was at a church once where they were doing this. The women would fall on the floor and the men would put cloths over their legs. I think it's more emotion than anything else, wanting something supernatural to happen. And, yes, I do believe in the supernatural and the workings of the Holy Spirit. I just doubt this is from the Spirit but that's me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here' is my experience..I have been around these things since I came to Christ in 1973. I have seen some strange things so I am leary if I go for payer and someone "pushes" on my head.. We'l I have been struggling with inappropriate contentography for 35 years and was being divorced be to by my wife.. I was desperate to change so I went to a deliverance service... I practicaaly ran to the front after he was done preaching... He "very" lightly touched me with annointing oil and bam I just turned to jelly and was flat on my back in a heartbeat with no one around . I was aware of him on his knees with his hand on my forehead and I just felt cleansed and peaceful and got up and went to my seat .. I went home floating as the best I could describe it. I KNEW I was changed. I could surf the net and avoid going to inappropriate content sites. My wife still divorced me but I still had this incredible breakthru in my walk with the Lord..I have been inappropriate content free for over 5 years ..Praise God..Kim

Upvote 0

Grigorii

Feb 19, 2006
✟8,456.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Dearest to Christ Jacquidube,

jacquidube said:
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
What are other peoples opinions on this please.

It is entirely possible that these people were overcome by their emotions,.. But it is equally possible that they were overcome by the Holy Spirit. I would not worry about this phenomenon too much. The Kingdom of God does not consists in 'falling under the Spirit's power' (I like to us that term instead of slain) or not. Also God knows your heart, and won't force anything on you that you won't be able to handle.

I have been to many, many charismatic/pentecostal events and I have seen the most outrages things you could imagine, but I have also seen what I believe is the genuine work and Presence of God's Holy and Life-giving Spirit. Falling under His influence is not at all imposible. It is neither good nor bad, sometimes extra-ordinary things happen to us when we are confronted with the extra-ordinary God.

However, if it scares you, simply stay away from it. You don't have to participate. You can inform yourself by some reading if you wish:

1. Francis MacNutt "Overcome by the Spirit"

2. Guy Chevreau "Catch the Fire"

3. Morton T. Kelsey "Discernment a Study in Ecstacy and Evil"

4. James DG Dunn "Jesus and the Spirit"

Perhaps these will help you develop a balanced view towards this phenomenon. It may also help you deal with your fear of these phenomena. The spiritual realm is closely tied to the emotional, and one needs to be aware of this. Emotion and experience are not bad in themselves, they are necessary even,.. But emotionalism is taking it too far.

The charismatic/pentecostal forum may even be able to share some positive experiences with this phenomenon, just be careful for extremism either way. As an Orthodox Christian, I would of course say that such phenomena are extra-ordinary and may distract you from what really matters,.. Your walk with Jesus Christ your God and your Savior. Whatever prevents you from growing into this, you would need to avoid for now. Even good things, at the wrong time, are bad for you.

Perhaps the readings I suggested may help you find peace with this and will be some help to guide you on your way.

IC XC

Grigorii

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Katherine_van_Orvelte said:
I simply don't think the biblical evidence warrants it to be a constant expection. Not the way that it is used in Pentecostal churches as a preferred method of worship.

I don't think it should used as a standard of determining salvation.

I think using it as such a standard is a spiritually detrimental belief.

I think the expectation and the standard breeds a atmosphere of conformity.

That's what I think.

btw-
I wasn't referring to people forcing people to do anything. I was referring to forcing a biblical text to establish a practice it does not refer to.
Ok, I understand that but I hope you realize how I feel when there is something I believe in and I come to this thread and people are saying things like, satan worship, new age, people forcing something into the Bible that isn't there. They and you have totally ignored my testimony as to this being real and from God because I highly doubt that Satan is going to heal me and I highly doubt that he has the power to heal me even if he wanted to.

I have heard that this slain in the spirit was in evidence in the early church so most of the accounts of it will not be in the Bible. It was said that when men of God came into a city and preached they asked that the people refrain from sitting on the roof tops or in the trees because when the power of God came people would fall out of the trees and off of the houses.

You Catholics and Orthodoxies should know what I'm talking about. You all say that the Bible isn't the whole word of God but that some of the things you believe in can't always be pointed to directly in the Bible but is apart of tradition. So since this is the case with you why do you expect me or anybody else to point directly to a verse or story in the Bible as proof that this thing is biblical? And I have given one biblical account by the way and another poster gave a second account.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lynn73 said:
I don't think it's biblical myself. I also was at a church once where they were doing this. The women would fall on the floor and the men would put cloths over their legs. I think it's more emotion than anything else, wanting something supernatural to happen. And, yes, I do believe in the supernatural and the workings of the Holy Spirit. I just doubt this is from the Spirit but that's me.
So the slain in the spirit I experienced wasn't from the Holy Spirit but my healing, which happend at the exact same time was? :scratch:

Upvote 0

greeker57married

Nov 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟15,772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HisKid1973 said:
Here' is my experience..I have been around these things since I came to Christ in 1973. I have seen some strange things so I am leary if I go for payer and someone "pushes" on my head.. We'l I have been struggling with inappropriate contentography for 35 years and was being divorced be to by my wife.. I was desperate to change so I went to a deliverance service... I practicaaly ran to the front after he was done preaching... He "very" lightly touched me with annointing oil and bam I just turned to jelly and was flat on my back in a heartbeat with no one around . I was aware of him on his knees with his hand on my forehead and I just felt cleansed and peaceful and got up and went to my seat .. I went home floating as the best I could describe it. I KNEW I was changed. I could surf the net and avoid going to inappropriate content sites. My wife still divorced me but I still had this incredible breakthru in my walk with the Lord..I have been inappropriate content free for over 5 years ..Praise God..Kim

Kim,
I praise the Lord for your deliverance from inappropriate content. I fill that what you experienced was of the Holy Spirit. But I still do not see any clear Biblical references where the early disciples experienced being slain in the Spirit. I see no biblical bases for Benny Hinn type services where he waves his hand and the first two rows fall out. Some people have broken arms and legs from this.

I do believe we can experience the fullness of the Spirit. Most believers are not filled. We are commanded to be filled with the Holy Spirit. (Eph. 5:18) I think God has to bring a believer to the place of yielding to him to experience fullness.

God Bless
Greeker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last

"... that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God." (2 Chronicles 5:14)

So I arose and went out into the plain, and behold, the glory of the Lord stood there, like the glory which I saw by the River Chebar; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 3:23)

"Then He brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple; so I looked, and behold, the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 44:4)

Upvote 0

greeker57married

Nov 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟15,772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Iollain said:
Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last

"... that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God." (2 Chronicles 5:14)

So I arose and went out into the plain, and behold, the glory of the Lord stood there, like the glory which I saw by the River Chebar; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 3:23)

"Then He brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple; so I looked, and behold, the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 44:4)

I am sorry but these saints fell on their face out of awe for God and worship. I don't see the teaching of slain in the Spirit in these passages. To say that that is what these verses teach is to read into them something that is not there. It is eisegensis.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeker57married said:
I am sorry but these saints fell on their face out of awe for God and worship. I don't see the teaching of slain in the Spirit in these passages. To say that that is what these verses teach is to read into them something that is not there. It is eisegensis.
Rev. 1:17 doesn't give a hint to whether John fell down at Jesus feet voluntarily or not so I don't think either one of us can say what exactly happend there for sure. The same goes for those other passages.

I went to Wiki and they gave Rev 1:17 as a possible "involuntary" slain in the Spirit but also gave 1 kings 8:10-11; Daniel 8:28, 10:8-11; Acts 9:3-4, 26:14 as possible events that show being slain in the spirit.

I don't have my Bible handy otherwise I would type them out, sorry.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
nephilimiyr said:
You Catholics and Orthodoxies should know what I'm talking about. You all say that the Bible isn't the whole word of God but that some of the things you believe in can't always be pointed to directly in the Bible but is apart of tradition. So since this is the case with you why do you expect me or anybody else to point directly to a verse or story in the Bible as proof that this thing is biblical? And I have given one biblical account by the way and another poster gave a second account.

Good points here Neph. I think we veterans of GT are all used to pointing to Scripture to back up a belief of ours, only to be told we are misinterpreting it, or perhaps blindly following "traditions of men." I wish that people could stop making those types of retorts, and actually responding, actually explaining why they think another's interpretation of a passage is incorrect, in a respectful way.
We're (mostly) all adults here but unfortunately many don't act like it.

I think that a lot of what goes on at the charismatic/pentecostal services is that through preaching, song, or just the general vibe, people's minds are opened and they are hypersensitive to things. I think this is why some people fall down at a simple push. Crowd psychology does this.

It also makes one hypersensitive to the Holy Spirit. Often in life, we, through our sinful tendencies, block God out of certain areas of our life. We might know our Scripture and live moral lives but we all have problems with greed, pride, envy, lust, anger.... and these things can be a wall to block God out when He is reaching to us. This is why we spend our lives working toward sanctification, each and every day - we must experience conversion each and every day so we are more open to the Lord's grace.

Back to my point, when these services have the effect of letting down those walls around the heart, it is a lot easier for people to let the Holy Spirit do His work. And if this means healing people, or people shouting, or falling down, who are we to question the Holy Spirit?

We may believe some of these things are fake, but let's not assume. Our limited mental capacities should never presume that God cannot work where He wills.

My family is very good friends with a charismatic priest named Fr. Ralph Diorio. He has a healing ministry in Massachussetts. He has healed many people, including one of my best friend's sisters. She had stomach cancer, and while he was praying over her, she felt like an invisible hand reached into her stomach and took something out. When she went back to the doctor a few days later, the cancer had gone down about 80%. A few weeks later there was no trace of it ever having been there. The doctors had no scientific explanation for this. But I know it was God working through His servant. As Father D always says, "I don't do anything, God uses me."

One time Fr. D walked into our house and my grandmother was slain in the Spirit as soon as he walked in. Some people, whom God chooses to use in a certain way, have an aura of holiness around them that is literally palpable. It is the overwhelming presence of grace, so overwhelming that some people are literally knocked down by it.

I could go on and on about Father D, but I have said enough here.

One more thing, if you really want to know about the Pentecostals, and their reasons for their beliefs and practices, why not go ask them in their own forum? I promise they won't bite.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.