Is being SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT biblical.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
What are other peoples opinions on this please.

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe it is possible to be overcome by the presence of God, yes. If you don't feel comfortable with that church you should go to another one. Your not going to find people in this part of the forum that agree much with the Charismatic group though. If you want to talk with Charismatics you should ask in the Spirit filled, Pentecostal, Charismatic part of the forum.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Iollain said:
I believe it is possible to be overcome by the presence of God, yes. If you don't feel comfortable with that church you should go to another one. Your not going to find people in this part of the forum that agree much with the Charismatic group though. If you want to talk with Charismatics you should ask in the Spirit filled, Pentecostal, Charismatic part of the forum.
Thank you Iollain!

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jacquidube said:
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
John 18:4-6, Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

This is the only account in the Bible of being slain in the Spirit that I know of. It's when the power of the presence of God is so strong that you loose strength. It's not painful or anything like that.

I really don't know much about it but I do know I was slain in the Spirit when I received a phyiscal healing in the church I attend. The man spoke and prayed over me and then touched my thumb, which the knuckle had been broken several years before and arthritis had set in. As soon as the man touched my thumb I immediately lost power in my legs to stand and sat back in my chair. This was 2 months ago and my thumb hasn't bothered me since. Thank you God!

I also received the gift of speaking in tongues that night.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Katherine_van_Orvelte

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I don't know if asking if it biblical or no is the right question.

Sure, the Holy Spirit can make such an impression on someone that they get knocked over.

Just that in churches which practically mandate this practice on a regular basis it becomes almost obligatory and hence a social convention. So they fall over because they are in a place where it is socially acceptable to do so and because it is expected of them.

Not that obligation and convention are necessarily bad things. Last night I bowed down in front of everyone in my parish. A bit weird and unconventional, but everyone was doing it, so ok. I just wouldn't want to attribute my action solely to a member of the Holy Trinity.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Iollain said:
Does a Spirit filled Calvinist work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
nephilimiyr said:
John 18:4-6, Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

This is the only account in the Bible of being slain in the Spirit that I know of. It's when the power of the presence of God is so strong that you loose strength. It's not painful or anything like that.

I really don't know much about it but I do know I was slain in the Spirit when I received a phyiscal healing in the church I attend. The man spoke and prayed over me and then touched my thumb, which the knuckle had been broken several years before and arthritis had set in. As soon as the man touched my thumb I immediately lost power in my legs to stand and sat back in my chair. This was 2 months ago and my thumb hasn't bothered me since. Thank you God!

I also received the gift of speaking in tongues that night.

The passage in question cannot be an example of being slain in the spirit as is currently being taught in many congregations.

The passage occurs before Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to the church. The people that fell to the ground did not have the Holy Spirit, nor were they believers.

Marv

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
jacquidube said:

Personally, I've no problem with reconciling the beliefs and actions of Pentecostal and Charismatic churches with Scripture, including the possibility that the Holy Spirit might so totally overwhelm people that collapsing to the floor is the most natural response.

On the other hand, whether we should call that "being slain in the Spirit" is another matter. As one preacher I know pointed out, only two people in the Bible were slain in the Spirit - Ananias and Sapphira...

David.

Upvote 0

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I am still confused. Ok so it doesnt really matter does it whether I feel God's Spirit in this way or not. It justs scares me, probably because I do not understand it and dont particulaly find it necessary to be a better christian.

Some of the scriptures given are.......
Acts 26 13-14
Acts 9, 3-4
Matt 28, 2-4
John 18, 3-6
1 Samuel 26:12

It seems possible but I believe we do take things out of context.
I didnt know it belonged to a certain group of christians either, it just shows you.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
BigNorsk said:
The passage in question cannot be an example of being slain in the spirit as is currently being taught in many congregations.
jacquidube asked for scripture and I provided an account. Or are you saying that those men tripped over rocks or holes in the ground as they moved back and fell down?

The passage occurs before Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to the church. The people that fell to the ground did not have the Holy Spirit, nor were they believers.
I didn't have the Holy Spirit when I was slain. But whatever, what is your explanation for why those men fell to the ground?

Upvote 0

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
My purpose of writing this thread was because I truly did not understand it. Please lets not start a debate. I am a very sensitive person and I am a little worried that I created this.
I found what was happening in the church I went to quite disturbing and I didnt feel it was a move from God but who am I to judge. People dont have to scream out to God for Him to hear them.
If i was told the Spirit of God is going to throw me to the ground so I could receive healing or for God to minister to me, I would run a mile.
Im such a wimp and I like things simple.

I did not watch ....videoofwarning...... sorry too scared.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jacquidube said:
My purpose of writing this thread was because I truly did not understand it. Please lets not start a debate. I am a very sensitive person and I am a little worried that I created this.
I found what was happening in the church I went to quite disturbing and I didnt feel it was a move from God but who am I to judge. People dont have to scream out to God for Him to hear them.
If i was told the Spirit of God is going to throw me to the ground so I could receive healing or for God to minister to me, I would run a mile.
Im such a wimp and I like things simple.

I did not watch ....videoofwarning...... sorry too scared.
And that's why you should listen to Iollain and ask your questions in the Pentecostal forum. The answers you will get here will mostly all be negative

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship

Marv

I don't think it would matter if these people had the indwelling of the Spirit or not, i think God's presence could overwhelm someone that is not saved.

But i think this was Jesus's human response to the men coming to kill him, i think He might have been showing all of them His power, that He could physically control them if He wanted to. It also might have been a fear reaction on His part.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Iollain said:
I don't think it would matter if these people had the indwelling of the Spirit or not, i think God's presence could overwhelm someone that is not saved.

But i think this was Jesus's human response to the men coming to kill him, i think He might have been showing all of them His power, that He could physically control them if He wanted to.
Hahaha, you're preachin now! :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.