Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's really unclear what religion Batman is, if he is anything at all.

But Nightcrawler, Daredevil and Hellboy are three somewhat prominent superheroes who are fairly unambiguously Catholic. (Not just Christian, but specifically Catholic. Hellboy even has a rosary on him at nearly all times.)

EDIT: And I just realized that these prominent Catholic comic book characters all resemble demons, with Hellboy actually being a demon. I don't know what that means, if anything. Their Catholic faith is usually portrayed positively.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's really unclear what religion Batman is, if he is anything at all.

But Nightcrawler, Daredevil and Hellboy are three somewhat prominent superheroes who are fairly unambiguously Catholic. (Not just Christian, but specifically Catholic. Hellboy even has a rosary on him at nearly all times.)

EDIT: And I just realized that these prominent Catholic comic book characters all resemble demons, with Hellboy actually being a demon. I don't know what that means, if anything. Their Catholic faith is usually portrayed positively.
Didn't know DD is Catholic or anything like that :)

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I think Nightstalker's appearance and faith are supposed to contrast each other in some respects. He's rejected in many ways due to his "demonic" appearance, but he is a man of deep faith that never let the jeers of the world dampen his beliefs. Now, with however many decades of comics, I don't know if he's ever abandoned it at some point and got it back or whatever, but I think the core of the character is someone who has faith no matter the trials he faces. The trials might even bring him deeper faith.

Daredevil is, of course, just a man wearing a costume and the man was Catholic prior to putting on the suit. Seems reasonable he wouldn't just lose it for no reason.

Hellboy is pretty neat because that seems to be entirely based upon his upbringing. He is a demon, sure, but he was raised by a good priest who taught him. Kind of says that regardless of birth, all have a way to the Divine, eh?

Upvote 0