1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a Wet Dream A sin?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by HOGMAW, Dec 20, 2010.

1. HOGMAW

HOGMAW Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I go all day avoiding sinful actions. Sometimes random thoughts pop into my mind but I block them out as fast as I can. However, when I sleep at night, I have no control over my dreams. And every once in a while, I will have dreams that cause, well you know. And I dislike it very much, because there is nothing I can do about it. I hate loosing testosterone. Can you sin in your dreams? And how do I stop this from happening?

2. Julian of York

Julian of York Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your interesting question!
    No, I think that this non-stimulated,natural release of bodily tension has a purpose and is God given by His grace for your help.
    By the way,are you practicing celibacy?(I notice you are a Catholic) Or,perhaps, following Christ's Commandment to flee fornication? Both reasons are very commendable. Christ must be working on your heart by the Holy Spirit. Don't give up!
    And how is your personal relationship to Christ, outside of good works,sacrements,and buffeting the soul?
    A helpful 100 year old article that you can "Google" up called,"Is Christ Your Lord"? by A.W.Pink, will be MOST enlightening!

Julian of York
    Isaiah 32:17

3. Dark_Lite

Dark_Lite Chewbacha

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Wet dreams stop when the tension is released other ways. It's not a sin, particularly because you have no control over it. Personally, I'd be more annoyed that I have to do the laundry.

4. lost-sheep

lost-sheep Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    No its not a sin. It is the natural way it works. Your body gets rid of the old to replace it with new. Our skin does it, our bones, hair, on and on.

5. GaryP

GaryP Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    Wet dream postings are common on the day that a person joins the forum.
    Funny guy. I am going to call you on this posting. So what is the Acronym for HOGMAW, I give up.

6. HOGMAW

HOGMAW Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Thanks for the replies! I just noticed there were a lot of threads on google similar to this one after I posted it.

I am trying to abstain from sin the best I can. It seems that the less I sin, the better my guitar playing becomes.
    I will read that article you suggested. Thanks for the encouragement!

To Gary: Hog Maw is a pigs stomach.

7. charismaticace

charismaticace Questioning Christian

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    I Can't Stress This Enough...no, A Wet Dream Is Not A Sin, It's Not Bad, It's Not Dirty, Nothing Of The Sort. God Gave Us Those Feelings For A Reason. Congratulations, You've Taken A Big Step Towards Manhood.

8. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 By the grace of God we go Staff Member Supervisor Supporter Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Wet dreams are the bodies natural reactions. They're not sins and nothing to feel guilty over.

9. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Try setting up a tape/CD of the Bible next to your bed and let it play on a low volume while you sleep. It might help, or it might not. If it doesn't help after a couple of weeks stop doing it.

Blessings,

Alan

10. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Here's four verses which appear to fit well - Two from The Old & two from The New:

If there be among you any man, that is not clean by reason of uncleanness that chances him by night, then shall he go abroad out of the camp, he shall not come within the camp:
    But it shall be, when evening comes on, he shall wash himself with water: and when the sun is down, he shall come into the camp again.
    <-----> Deuteronomy 23:10+11

If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
    Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.
    <-----> Romans 7:16+17

wm

11. kevind

kevind Newbie Forever

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not think it as a sin, it is uncontrolable in your sleep.

12. J.B.

J.B. God bless Israel

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I know it may have basically been said before, as this thread is going on page two, but as it is involuntary, in which you have absolutely no control over it, I believe that a "wet dream," or nocturnal emission, is not in and of itself sinful. What's interesting though, is that it involves lustful feelings. These desires can feel quite real for the moment, although as they are a part of a dream, I don't believe they're necessarily sinful. I think the more one is exposed to sexual content, the more frequently one may experience this, personally, as this has been a part of my own experiences with this issue.

13. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid "E"-commerce... mon6y, s6x, & pow6r !!!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    No, its not a sin. Lot's of men experience that kind of thing.

However, dreams can reflect unresolved issues we are dealing with during our waking hours. Maybe it means your lonely and are looking for companionship.

14. J.B.

J.B. God bless Israel

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    That's an interesting thought. I for example, am single, and I have never been involved in a relationship before. However, nocturnal emissions do not occur very often for me, maybe once every month or two; I cannot recall the last time. I do, however, have lustful feelings, which is something I should work on.

15. SarahRM

SarahRM Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Hey there! No it is not a sin. It is the body's natural way, it is how it works.

16. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Being as there are other sins that have been put before me in my dreams, I don't see why there would be an exception for lust. When I'm faced with a dream in which sin is placed before me, I wake up when I can do so.

17. J.B.

J.B. God bless Israel

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    That's interesting that you mention that, actually. Do you remember ever being capable of waking during such a dream? I cannot recall such an instance or ability of me even doing so.

18. If Not For Grace

If Not For Grace Legend-but then so's Keith Richards

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Place more emphasis on what you should be doing as a Christian and less on "stopping sin"
    in your life.

Find ways to help your neighbors, Learn to love & be kiind and gentle with (including yourself) people, learn to give (time, money, be morally supportive). Go about doing good (think on these things...) and the rest will work itself out.

19. CounselorForChrist

CounselorForChrist Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    What about when you wake up (as a guy) and are "Excited"? If you leave it alone and let it "relax" then its not a sin. But if you decide to finish it off, then does it become a sin?

I know for me because of medical issues and scoping in that are from kidney stones I wake up often excited and its takes forever for it to relax unless I get it over with. It may sound funny, but its aggravating really.

20. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave At your service....

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Protestant
    No, i dont believe at all that a wet dream is a sin because :

1. You didnt will it.
    2. You didnt know about it consciously (until afterward).
    3. It was a release based on you having a sexual nature because you have wisely chosen not to engage your sexual nature with another during awake hours .

What you can try is :

1. Pray about it not occuring but dont beat yourself up if you do.
    2. Get a strong focus on the Lord by singing praise songs before drifting off to sleep, and read the Word on Gods greatness , and pray yourself to sleep by considering your many life blessings from God.
    3. See if theres a book on this issue or info on the web.
    4. Get lots of excersise so you reduce sexual stress and anxiety.
    5. Stay far away from sexual stimuli thruout the day...or at least as much as it depends on you.
    6. Continue to avoid lusting as you have.
    7. Get into a Mens small group to discuss mens issues., for support .

Peace upon you my Brother.