TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm 45 and in the best shape of my life (so far). Walking and yoga are both great ways to start, then I'd add some weight training.

If any of you are looking for a bit of inspiration for getting into (or back into) exercise in your 40's, I just finished Finding Ultra by Rich Roll. He started exercising again in his 40's after not doing much since being a college swimmer. He was motivated by getting really out of breath walking up the stairs, and wondering if he would live to see his young daughter's wedding someday.

He's now considered one of the fittest men in the world, competing in events like the Ultraman ultra distance triathlon. Here's another cool page, the 2012 entrants bio for the Ultraman championships this year. Check out the ages of the competitors!
2012 Entrants Bio : Ultraman World Championships

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2012
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi all....I have not exercised in a lot of years ( maybe 10 LOL) but I really need to start again...apart from the weight gain, I really would like to be able to move with less difficulties. I have a bit of cervical arthrosis, what kind of activity could I start...without breaking my back?;)
I highly recommend walking:

...for weight loss
...for increased energy
...for avoiding injury
...for making extra time to pray

And if you need to start slow and exercise with moderation, you really can't beat it. It's a very sensible way to go.

Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Walking is fine. So is cycling. When I was in my early forties, I could routinely make 50 or 60 mile trips on my bicycle (that is not great but better than nothing). I got away from that and am trying to get in better shape. This summer I did a few 25 mile trips on my bicycle. My ambition is to be able to make a 40 or 50 mile trip and not be overly exhausted by it. I know I am not as fast as when I was younger but I am hoping as I get into better shape I will still have good endurance to make a 50 mile bicycle trip.

I am also walking more. I even bought new hiking boots and there is this trail/park where you can walk for miles and I really enjoy that more than the gym. It has a varied landscape and you can walk up and down hills and walking up hills is good exercise. As I take long walks, I am listening to music or news or talk programs streaming on my smart phone, and that makes it more enjoyable.

I tried Tai-Chi for a while and it was helpful. It has moderate stretching but nothing extreme like yoga.

I will soon be 51. I am in better shape now than three years ago but I have a ways to go.

Upvote 0

PennineLady

Newer person.
Mar 10, 2015
Lancashire
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I prefer walking and dancing exercise like zumba to lift my spirits. I was very bad at sport at high school, to the point that other kids would warn me not to volunteer for Sports Day. My sister in law is very sporty and did triathlons before she had her baby in January.
I know I'll never be triathlon material but I'll love dancing to the end of my days.

Upvote 0

NewEnglandGirl

Putting on God's Full Armor
Apr 24, 2015
✟15,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never stopped. Take daily long brisk walks and have a little routine that I do. Whatever exercise routine you decide on I would work into it gradually and make it something realistic that you can stay with on a daily or weekly basis. Try to make it fun or enjoyable if you can. You might want to check with your doctor as well to see what they recommend.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely not! But I would suggest, since you do have physical issues, to consult with a physician, and then perhaps do a few sessions with a personal trainer, to figure out how to work around your condition.

Upvote 0

CrossTheTaiga

Ad astra per aspera
Mar 14, 2006
Zaanstreek Waterland
Visit site
✟57,498.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ernestine Shepherd was mentioned...let me visualise her for the lovely folks who think that after 40, your fate is frumpy dresses, chagrin lines and cracking ploinks everytime you bend over to fetch your bunny slippers:tutu:..

Ernestine-Shepherd.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums