Feb 4, 2012
✟34,547.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi all....I have not exercised in a lot of years ( maybe 10 LOL) but I really need to start again...apart from the weight gain, I really would like to be able to move with less difficulties. I have a bit of cervical arthrosis, what kind of activity could I start...without breaking my back?;)

bobbyking

Jan 26, 2012
Singapore
Visit site
✟7,625.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I am 47 this year. And from my experience, picking up a sports may be more fun and less monotonous. (just my opinion). :)

I used to swim a lot (doing freestyle laps) on my condo pool. It was really monotonous and I was really bored. I could do countless laps but after a while, I stopped. :sorry:

I took up golf for many years but where I live, it is scorching hot and humid and I gave up, though if you walk a 18-hole (pulling your golf bag along), it is pretty good exercise (estimate distance cover around 7-8km)

Finally, I took up tennis. With help from an avid tennis lover friend, I managed to pick up the game (topspin swing, leg work etc). And I brought in a coach to provide lessons for my wife and 3 daughters to learn the game as well.

Today, I mean every Sunday 3-6pm if the weather permits, the five of us will spend our time at the tennis court (a.k.a family time). I make an effort to run and chase for the ball. Sometimes we play on Saturday too, depending on court availability.

And I have two degenerated disc on my lower lumbar. I have to wear a girdle to play tennis though. I injured it during my 3 years serving in the military service when I was 21 years old. And yes, if I overly exert, it is painful.

Sports like basketball, tennis, badminton are great avenues to consider. Squash is not bad but can be tough on the knees.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

James127

Feb 8, 2012
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a fellow 43-er, I can tell you it's never too late to start exercising. Last year, I started walking on a regular basis after many, many years of inactivity. I tried to walk every day in the morning, for about an hour. There were days that I missed for various reasons, but I tried very hard to develop the habit. I was proud to have walked over 100 miles total in the month of July (really just over three weeks in July)!

The main advice I would offer is that it took a long time to get a body out of shape, and it will take a long time to get it back into shape. Also, it is a discipline and habit that has to be developed, and that involves ups and downs. Stay motivated and celebrate every victory, no matter how small!

Wow, first post for me!

Upvote 0

James127

Feb 8, 2012
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good to hear you'll be trying some walking. Don't concern yourself with distance as you start out. Aim to walk a certain amount of time each walk. Once you get up to 30 minute walks, I think that would be a good time to start keeping track of distance.

I don't know if you have a smartphone, but I love the Endomondo app, which tracks time, mileage, and (thanks to GPS) even the path you walk. It then updates my Facebook with the information for my walks. That gives me accountability, and it also allows my FB friends to offer words of encouragement.

Along those lines: get yourself some sort of accountability for your exercise routine, especially since you're just starting back up. Having to explain why you didn't work out is a lot harder than just justifying it in your head. This board, FB, or friends/coworkers are great accountability tools.

Just keep a positive attitude, and you'll get it done - one day at a time! May God give you encouragement and strength to get yourself back into shape!

Reactions: Isobel
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They're right, it's never too late to exercise. However if you start after your mid forties it is very difficult to make it a lifestyle. It's a psychological thing. I'm 47 and sure enough I'm having a devil of a time shoehorning it into my busy life.

Reactions: Isobel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 2, 2012
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi all....I have not exercised in a lot of years ( maybe 10 LOL) but I really need to start again...apart from the weight gain, I really would like to be able to move with less difficulties. I have a bit of cervical arthrosis, what kind of activity could I start...without breaking my back?;)
Instead of thinking that 43 might be too old to start exercising, realize that 43 is too young to stop.

Upvote 0