IRA about to permanently renounce violence?

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
And it has happened!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4720863.stm

Private Eye made an interesting point last week; the proposed anti-terrorist legislation the UK goverment is currently considering allows for seeking fo deportation of those who fund terror - this will include Americans who fund the split off IRA groups still following violence.

Sinn Feinn and the iRA can be proud they have come to this historic decision, albeit 30 years late. :( Still now we can seek genuine peace and to resolve the issues. Some times you have to negotiate with terrrorists.

cj x

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
Wouldn't it have just been simpler to give them what they wanted 30 years ago? :D

Or is that asking silly questions... :p

This is really just the natural conclusion of what has been happening over the past few years, however, I wonder how long it will last when the 'peaceful political means' don't go anywhere, and the splinter groups start up again.

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
indeep said:
Wouldn't it have just been simpler to give them what they wanted 30 years ago? :D

LOL, wwell they still have not got that; the point is they have achieved very few of their aims if any by violence, so now theyare pursuing political means. I expect they will eventually gain somehing of whatthey want, but what that is I am afraid I am far from clear. A united Ireland? Rejected by plebiscite of 1921 wasn't it? Apart from that, I'm not sure.

cj x

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
I don't honestly know that much about the whole situation, but it seemed like there was a simple answer that no one could see. 1921 was 84 years ago ya know ;). I guess I've always seem it as being kind of a war of independence.... in a way, not that it is a justification for the violence, but... yeah. Is this the last vestiges of the British empire?

hmmm...

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
indeep said:
I don't honestly know that much about the whole situation, but it seemed like there was a simple answer that no one could see. 1921 was 84 years ago ya know ;). I guess I've always seem it as being kind of a war of independence.... in a way, not that it is a justification for the violence, but... yeah. Is this the last vestiges of the British empire?

hmmm...

It is obvious to all but the unionists. ;)

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
indeep said:

hmmm...

Nope, not at all. 2004 saw the last independent survey I can find.
http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2004/Political_Attitudes/NIRELAND.html#religion

59% wanted to remain part of the UK
22% wanted to join Eire
11% wanted an independant State.

Interestingly the split is on Catholic/Protestant lines, with 85% of the Catholic
minority desiring union with Ireland. In 1920 Catholics comprised a small minority, but a higher brith rate means that in a couple of centuries tehy may represent the majority in N.Ireland. However the 2004 survey seems pretty clear.

These figures for 2004 were up on 2003 when the results were

55% wanted to remain part of the UK
24% wanted to join Eire
7% wanted an independant State.

2001 showed

50% wanted to remain part of the UK
28% wanted to join Eire
6% wanted an Independant State.

So over the last 5 years the actual move has been towards remaining British and away from unification, with the 'alternative Ulster' indpendent State option gaining in popularity.

Source: http://www.ark.ac.uk/about/vision.html
A project by the Northern Ireland Universities to provide sociological data.

As to claims of Empire, sorry, successive British adminstrations have desired nothing more than to let Ireland reunify. The people of Northern Ireland have democratically expressed their opinions repeatedly, against this option.

cj x

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would love to see a united Ireland.

I studied in Ireland when I was in college and thought it was the most beautiful place on earth.

Ireland has become very prosperous in the past few years, and has developed a thriving high-tech industry. While, in previous years, young Irish adults would have to emigrate to Australia, England, or the US to find employment, they can now lead successful, prosperous lives there.

Ireland's prosperity might be encouraging the Northern Ireland to want to unite and experience the prosperity as well.

The other trend I see in Europe, the one Pope Benedict calls "secular humanism," is probably affecting the trend towards non-violence as well.

After all, if fewer people are actively practicing the religious faiths of their heritage, can they really be interested in waging war against people who are "non-practicing" members of different faiths?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
the_cheat said:
Well, there's a shocker. You stop treating people like dogs, and they stop fighting against you, or at least their next generation does. :doh:Not that complex of a concept; I'm amazed it took so long for Britain to figure it out.

I don't understand? Northern Ireland and the North Irish, Protestant and Catholic are British?

cj x

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
CJ.23 said:
I don't understand? Northern Ireland and the North Irish, Protestant and Catholic are British?

cj x

Irish is Irish and indeed Protestant.
While the British are British and indeed Catholic as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums