Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

%CE%91%CE%93%CE%93%CE%95%CE%9B%CE%9F%CE%99%20%CE%A3%CE%A4%CE%9F%20%CE%91%CE%93%CE%99%CE%9F%CE%9D%20%CE%9F%CE%A1%CE%9F%CE%A3(1).jpg
a photo taken from mt athos during winter, but there considered angels, i havent heard of invisible monks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard of this. Not sure about invisible, but definetly hidden. And it's said that one dies, another takes his place and the one that does has it revealed to him to go.

I'd heard that they are naked.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that they're naked too, and that they go to one priest for confession and Holy Communion, and that if the priest mentions them to anyone else they never go back to him again.

I've also heard that Elder Paisios said something about them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Andrew, could you tell us what he say?

Yes, sorry. I was going to earlier but I had to go quick and didn't get a chance to expand upon it. It was in the chapter called "The Unknown Anchorite (Probably One of the Anchorites Who Live Invisibly)." Elder Paisios was relating how when he first came to the Holy Mountain in 1950, he was on his way to the Skete of St. Ann's from Kavsokalyvia and instead of taking the path towards the Skete, he ended up towards the peak of Mt. Athos and got lost. He implored the Mother of God to help him and then a hermit appeared to him. Here is how he describes the hermit:

"He was about seventy years old and his clothing showed that he had no contact with people. He was wearing a habit that looked as if it was made of sailcloth, but it was very faded and full of holes. He had fixed the holes with wooden awls, the way farmers close holes in bags when they don't have a sack-needle and string. He had a leather bag, too. discoloured, with holes pulled together in the same way. Round his neck he had a thick chain on which a box hung down on his chest. It seems there was something holy inside!"

Before Elder Paisios could say anything to the hermit, the hermit showed him the right way to St. Ann's. Elder Paisios asked him where he lived and the hermit indicated that he lived up around the peak. Elder Paisios took his blessing and then went on his way. He would relate what happened to another elder who would tell him "That would have been one of the righteous anchorites who live invisibly at the peak of Athos!"

Upvote 0