Introducing myself…

Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome, Manic. At first glance, I had assumed that you were a member of that great Scottish clan, MacFaith, but on closer reading I had to correct myself. If it is indeed a permutation of that great name, then might you provide us with a little "wink" smilie?

To the Gentleman Atheist....may I ask a question? How old are you? Just curious, so if you would rather not answer, no problem. Another question: Is the way you portray yourself here true to life, or is it a caricature? Again, just curious.
Aha! All that I will say is that I am old enough to know better! :) That is a good one, eh what? I started saying that after my uncle, our globe-trotting colonel.

In regard to my being "true to life," I do assure you that I have been a gentleman from the very moment of birth, and that I have remained one to this very day. I am, however, forced by propriety to refrain from using my actual name on this site, as I am connected to public persons.
Thanks so much to everyone, especially for the laughs, but it's also been edifying. Ephraim, you may come across as brusque sometimes, but I think you're pretty great in spite of that or maybe because of it! I will definitely be looking up more of the threads you post on.
Correction: not brusque. Ephraim comes across as a positive brute, in fact. When I see such admiration for such a person, it affirms in me every negative assumption that I may ever have had about christianity.

I am sorry if you find this view to be problematic, but I would be certainly quite pleased to learn what positive attributes we might gain from this fellow.

Sincerely,

The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am, however, forced by propriety to refrain from using my actual name on this site, as I am connected to public persons.

(Psst....Manic, I think we may be chatting with the Prince of Wales.)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Correction: not brusque. Ephraim comes across as a positive brute, in fact. When I see such admiration for such a person, it affirms in me every negative assumption that I may ever have had about christianity.

I am sorry if you find this view to be problematic, but I would be certainly quite pleased to learn what positive attributes we might gain from this fellow.
MY DEAR BROTHER,

i admit to having a very limited repertoire--a virtual "one-trick-pony" in fact. But some things i have learned might be of use to you:

1. Nothing is worth spending precious time and energy on except a single-minded search for the Ultimate Truth;

2. When this Truth is discovered, it is well worth expending all of one's physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual resources in obtaining that wondrous Prize;

3. HUMILITY is the price of admission to the Kingdom;

4. Squandering one's time, energy, and resources playing games as a poseur is a grave mistake for which the squanderer will pay dearly;

5. One should avoid anyone who requests, "PLEASE ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I'M A MAN OF WEALTH AND TASTE"--unless, of course, that person is Mick Jagger.

i'm afraid that is about all the further i've been able to get thus far with time running out quickly, but these ideals have stood me in good stead heretofore.

MAY THEY BLESS YOU AS WELL!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your lack of tact, is certainly a problem; however, I do not understand how you might think that to, "think critically," might involve making blanket assumptions about a person using data that you do not have. What a truly appalling lack of intellectual honesty.
MY DEAR BROTHER,

i have done pretty well, in the last 10 years or so, in avoiding blanket assumption about people. Reading back over my posts on your behalf, i'm afraid i cannot see where i have relapsed in this area. Perhaps an example or two from you as to what exactly you are alluding to would be helpful. i am more than happy to confess my shortcomings--i do it a lot--so don't be shy in delineating specifics.

Tell me, Ephraim, why should I even discuss any matter with you?
i have no idea. People who won't play seem to bring out the worst in you, but Life's too short and the topic too serious, in my humble opinion, to respect facades or their perceived "cuteness."

What do you bring to the table that can be respected and considered without overlooking the profound shortcomings of its base crudities?
THE GOSPEL TRUTH!--in all its glory and applicability to your predicament.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

manicfaith

Apr 15, 2010
Catalonia, Spain.
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome, Manic. At first glance, I had assumed that you were a member of that great Scottish clan, MacFaith, but on closer reading I had to correct myself. If it is indeed a permutation of that great name, then might you provide us with a little "wink" smilie?

Thank you for the welcome, Mr. Gentleman Atheist. No, sir, my name was actually inspired by an illness I "suffer" from called bipolar disorder. You might have heard of it. I have only ever experienced the manic side although there is the depressive side. You probably shouldn't read too much into it, though, as I pretty much invented the name off the top of my head when I was registering and I actually rather regret not having put my actual name. I'll tell you it now, gladly though, it's Jessie Marie Drummond. Hey, I do have a Scottish name after all, even if it's not the one you allude to.;)

Aha! All that I will say is that I am old enough to know better! :) That is a good one, eh what? I started saying that after my uncle, our globe-trotting colonel.

I have heard that one before, it is quite clever indeed. Frustrating that you won't reveal your age though...ah, well.

In regard to my being "true to life," I do assure you that I have been a gentleman from the very moment of birth, and that I have remained one to this very day. I am, however, forced by propriety to refrain from using my actual name on this site, as I am connected to public persons.

Wow, it must be quite pleasant indeed to know ones self to be a 100 % gentlemen from the instant life began to the present moment. I believe I stopped being a lady at around age three when I threw a handful of spaghetti on my sister's head.

I must beg to differ with you, kind sir, as brusque and brute are in fact both adjectives, and therefore, I would believe them to be subjective. Therefore not fact, but opinion. I'm very sorry that I've caused you to reaffirm your negative assumptions regarding Christianity even more deeply. Negative assumptions are by their very nature quite harmful indeed, wouldn't you agree?

If you are unwilling to cast off these negative assumptions altogether, may I be so bold as to suggest that you at least consider relating these particular negative assumptions to Christians and not Christianity? It might be a tad more appropriate.

I'm not sure what we might gain. I find him to be rather endearing, but of course it's my humble opinion. I didn't mean to intrude on this thread. I could however ask you, my dear sir, why you continue to snap at his bait if you are so thoroughly decided in your own opinion. If I complimented him through expressing admiration, you might certainly concede that you have repeatedly bestowed the compliment of your attention on this "brute" as you label him.

Much respect,

JMD

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
Just outside Yosemite Park
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Who is this Dr. Ham that you mention? Are you able to provide a link to his site? (Maybe this against the forum's rules – but if you mention his full name, then I will have my librarian look him up.

His complete name is Dr. Ken Ham. He is a well known scientist that supports the creation theory with some very good arguments against Darwinian theory.

Also reasonstobelieve.org is another excellent source of Christian Scientist that come from diversified backgrounds and education.

You make the implication that Christians who believe based on faith are ill informed or ignorant. What you can not understand is how the Holy Spirit works within a believer’s life, and I wouldn’t expect you to. This does not imply that an uneducated believer is any less capable of understanding God and his purpose for their lives. I find it interesting that Jesus picked the uneducated as disciples, is it possible a persons intellect could possibly stand in the way of some very simple truths? Could what we have been taught as supposedly scientific fact isn’t fact at all but only theory and a weak theory at that.

I don’t claim to have all the answers. The faith that I have come to did not come easy for me as it hasn’t for many people. However the challenges you present are not about us theist, but about a belief in God based on Christianity.
I can almost guarantee that you were not wondering if the islamists might be correct. Have you thought why perhaps these people (the islamists, as one example) have found so little value in your religion, but have chosen to throw their hearts into another creed? It is this thing that I do not understand about christians. What has validated this thing for you?
Debating the various religions of the world is an entirely different matter. It seems to me that you need to first decide if you can come to a belief in God. Deciding on a faith is secondary.

I did not imply that the death of non Christians was any less traumatic or peaceful than a believer. However I have seen people die cursing God and the terror on their faces at death was horrific. I fully understand that this can be caused various factors, but it does make an impression. I have also seen Christians die that verbally implied that they seen Christ as they were dying, and again this can very well be argued that it is merely a delusional state of mind.

The truth is no one can give you absolute facts that will lead you to a belief in God. Reality is you must look at circumstantial evidence, science, history, and within yourself for those answers. If you are seeking the truth and not just debate you might consider asking God to reveal himself to you and then keep your heart open.

Upvote 0

manicfaith

Apr 15, 2010
Catalonia, Spain.
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Mr. Gentleman Atheist,

I actually have been wanting to say to you something similar to what PerrySB has said to you above, for some time. What is it that you're here for again? To understand Christianity from Christians' point of view? I'm sorry, but I really do believe that it will be impossible for you do do so as an atheist. You might gather information, as you say, but understanding why so many people believe in something that you don't believe will be hard indeed, unless you yourself believe it.
Now, if you will permit me a comparison, I will tell you what you make me think of. You make me think of a thirsty dog that trots up to a fountain in the park, and cannot turn on the water, so must make do with lapping up the muddy puddles.
You claim to have a thorough knowledge of the Bible, you seem to have read quite a number of other books having to do with religion and Christianity, and you seem to know Church history and have spoken to any number of Christians.
What I find interesting is your recognition that you are not very familiar with prayer.
I would encourage you to try it, even if you feel silly doing so, seeing as how you don't believe in God.
God meets us where we're at...he's able to overcome any obstacles, even a firm disbelief. So I guess the question is, would you like there to be a God? Would you be glad to discover there was one?
Try praying. Shut yourself up somewhere where no one will see you or bother you, and try to pray. It doesn't have to be complex or flowery. Just keep your mind and heart open and say what's on your mind.
A very dear Bible teacher gave me a basic outline for prayer once that has served me very well, the acronym is ACTS, which stands for Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. (of course that's just a suggestion, you can pray anyway you want.)

One more thing, do you mind if I pray for you, Mr. Gentleman Atheist? I hope not ;)

Much respect,

JMD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One more thing, do you mind if I pray for you, Mr. Gentleman Atheist? I hope not ;)

MY DEAR SISTER,

i think your loving request panicked his gentlemanness. However, i am sure it would be OK with God if you went ahead and prayed for him anyway.

BLESSINGS TO YA,
ephraim

Upvote 0

manicfaith

Apr 15, 2010
Catalonia, Spain.
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been praying for this man for some days now. I feel strange saying, Lord, soften Mr. Gentleman Atheist's heart and allow him to discover you...but God knows perfectly well who this gentleman is. And how desperately he needs the Lord Jesus.
I hope wherever you are, Mr. Gentleman Atheist, that you are well, and seeing God work in your life. I know He is. He loves you, you know. He created you and knows you better than you know yourself. He has a purpose for you, plans to prosper and not to harm you. There's no need to be afraid of Him....

much respect,

JMD

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been praying for this man for some days now. I feel strange saying, Lord, soften Mr. Gentleman Atheist's heart and allow him to discover you...but God knows perfectly well who this gentleman is. And how desperately he needs the Lord Jesus.
I hope wherever you are, Mr. Gentleman Atheist, that you are well, and seeing God work in your life. I know He is. He loves you, you know. He created you and knows you better than you know yourself. He has a purpose for you, plans to prosper and not to harm you. There's no need to be afraid of Him....

much respect,

JMD
MY SISTER,

A tender caring heart produces prayers which are heard.

May you be blessed for having such a heart, and may he be blessed as a result.

IN CHRIST'S LOVE,
ephraim

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
For The Gentleman Atheist:

My patron and benefactor would like to inform you of his regret for not being able to attend to this conversation as ardently as he wishes to. I assure you that we are making every step that we can in order to re-establish his presence here among you.

On a related matter, we are still seeking qualified applicants for the role of typist. You may view the formal notice in all of the standard published records, as well as – at the request of The Gentleman Atheist – in the LRB. No Irish.

Sincerely,

W.W. Thorpe, librarian to The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, what people or events did originally bring you to the christian faith?

I was raised in a "good Christian home." Anglican (Episcopal) no less. I came to agree with what I would later learn was the conclusion of Ghandi, that it was powerless and fake; by the ripe old age of 4 I surmised this on my own. Hopefully it is evident it took quite some doing to change that? Perhaps you've heard of the story where God caused a donkey to speak? That didn't happen to me, but some other equally strange things did, like seeing hell for example. None of that caused me to believe! God did get my attention though.

Faith only comes one way, by reading God's word. Hopefully you will be able to understand your partner through discussing this with them? If you wish to preserve your atheism, avoid the Bible studies at all costs ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

My patron and benefactor would like to inform you of his regret for not being able to attend to this conversation as ardently as he wishes to. I assure you that we are making every step that we can in order to re-establish his presence here among you.

On a related matter, we are still seeking qualified applicants for the role of typist. You may view the formal notice in all of the standard published records, as well as – at the request of The Gentleman Atheist – in the LRB. No Irish.

Sincerely,

Hullo W.W. please could pass this message to you patron and benefactor. If it pleases him, in the interim time that he is looking for a qualified typist, he may enjoy reading a book by Marie Corelli by the title of;

The Sorrows of Satan (Or, the Strange Experience of One Geoffrey Tempest, Millionaire) 1895

I think it may help him to understand a little of the general Christian religion.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

The estate of The Gentleman Atheist is pleased to announce the recent hiring of Mrs. J.A. Appledore for the position of typist to the estate's master.

The Gentleman Atheist wishes you to know that he will be communicating with you again shortly, and sends his thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To all,

I do sincerely thank you all for the admirable patience that you have shown and I want to let you know that it is so wonderful to be back here among all of you. The terrible events of the past few months have left the manor in a terrible state of disorder – such as we have not seen here since the rationing of the last great war. The sudden departure of Miss Doherty was quite unexpected – but to have her take my driver with her as well… what a terrible blow to the efficiency of a house! I have to admit, however, that I did not use our time apart unwisely and I seized the time to make several escapades including a lengthy visit to the Punjab with my good friend, Dr. Makkar. As is always the case with Dr. Makkar, that trip has produced many tellable tales and points of inquiry that I may just have to share with you here.

In any case, as things fall back into order, let us take the opportunity to get back to some of the threads that we have at hand here.

I look forward to resuming our chat.

The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0