Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What are peoples opinions on interracial dating? I am white female, and many of my relationships have been with black men. I have had soo many comments about how it isn't right, and people should stick to their own race otherwise it will die out.

So what is your opinion?

I am hoping to start a relationship with a guy but people's comments upset me sometimes. Why is it wrong?

I know how you feel. My parents can be pretty racist when it comes to the idea of interracial dating/marriage. I don't think it's wrong, personally and Biblically. However, it is important to keep in mind that often interracial dating comes along with differences in culture and both people in an interracial relationship need to be prepared to handle any cultural clashes.

Eh, I'd prefer it. =)

I am quite curious as to why you feel this way.....

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am quite curious as to why you feel this way.....

Well, honestly I am not so picky that I wouldn't date a Caucasian. My previous gf was white. No issues. But, I find other cultures much more interesting. And when I think of "interracial" dating, i think more of intercultural/ multi-ethnic dating.This might mean I'd date an Arab, who is consider Caucasian by anthropological terms. Or maybe Chinese, or Vietnamese, or Thai. Or perhaps Somali or Kenyan. I am more interested in the cultural aspects of it. I find American culture lacking, at times.

Then again, like I said, I am open to who ever God puts in my path. They can be white as white gets, with super American cultural traits. Fine by me. If not, then fine as well. =)

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What are peoples opinions on interracial dating?
Well my opinion is simple. There is no issue regarding what other people think. I think there are things to consider when it comes to two totally different cultures, but it has nothing to do with ones skin color nor ethnic title. You need to take into consideration the differences of each individual and how they will affect the relationship if it furthered into something more. I'm the product of an interracial relationship, so I think it's great :thumbsup:

I have had soo many comments about how it isn't right, and people should stick to their own race otherwise it will die out.

lol We are a melting pot. I seriously doubt there is an absolutely pure "breed" out there anymore.

So what is your opinion?
I'm not against dating or being with someone of another race. I do notice that I'm physically drawn to two types more so than others and those two are caucasion and african-american men. My opinion, again, is if it shows to be right then go for it. :)

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's nothing wrong with that! I've never dated outside my race (except for one date with a Japanese guy but we weren't in a relationship) but that's because I haven't found a guy outside my race that I've connected with or have been attracted to. Not a bad thing.
Occasionally odd thoughts cross my mind and I couple months ago it occured to me that would could someday erase racism if everyone reproduced with someone outside their race until we were all one race and then another thought came to mind: I don't think there would be a beautiful human being in existance if that occured and we would all be pretty ugly. Don't listen to stupid remarks. If they question the character of the man you deem worthy enough to date then by all means listen but otherwise, it's your choice!

Upvote 0

Rose of Eden

Queen of CF and Child of God
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, honestly I am not so picky that I wouldn't date a Caucasian. My previous gf was white. No issues. But, I find other cultures much more interesting. And when I think of "interracial" dating, i think more of intercultural/ multi-ethnic dating.This might mean I'd date an Arab, who is consider Caucasian by anthropological terms. Or maybe Chinese, or Vietnamese, or Thai. Or perhaps Somali or Kenyan. I am more interested in the cultural aspects of it. I find American culture lacking, at times.

Then again, like I said, I am open to who ever God puts in my path. They can be white as white gets, with super American cultural traits. Fine by me. If not, then fine as well. =)

Does that make sense?

It makes sense. I understand what you're saying. :)

But perhaps the reason you find the American culture "lacking" is simply because you are so used to it? This is quite different (and the opposite, in my opinion) from many perspectives I have seen. I have noticed a tendency among many white American Christians to be extremely fearful and apprehensive about the idea of dating someone whose culture is even slightly different than theirs and to, as a result, basically put an "X" on anyone who's not exactly like them (culturally, that is). This has been my experience at least. It's quite possible that it's a regional thing, likely in fact. Still though, I find it quite sad.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes sense. I understand what you're saying. :)

But perhaps the reason you find the American culture "lacking" is simply because you are so used to it? This is quite different (and the opposite, in my opinion) from many perspectives I have seen. I have noticed a tendency among many white American Christians to be extremely fearful and apprehensive about the idea of dating someone whose culture is even slightly different than theirs and to, as a result, basically put an "X" on anyone who's not exactly like them (culturally, that is). This has been my experience at least. It's quite possible that it's a regional thing, likely in fact. Still though, I find it quite sad.

I do think it is, in part at least, because I am used to it. But also, from interacting with other cultures I have found my own culture to simply be boring. Americans, for the most part, are not so hospitable, or open to community. My experience is "leave me alone" with American culture, where as my arab, south east asian, desi, african, and south american friends are so hospitable, friendly, loving, and awesome.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it's inherently right or wrong, but I do think you need to be wise and discerning, because there ARE people out there who pursue others based solely on their race instead of who they are as a person. You also need to look ahead and consider family reactions, future children, etc. If you feel good about all that, go for it.

When I see threads like this, the last thing I think about (if ever) are people who may have some kind of strange fetish or strict preference for certain nationalities. I know that the latter exists and I've met them and they can be creepy as all get-out, but normally I just assume the person/OP is referring to things noticed in their dating history and things of the like. I have a few nationality preferences myself, but I'm generally an equal opportunity dater with regard to nationality.

I do agree with you on your last points though. Although families can make dating, courting, engagements and marriages difficult due to unnecessary pressures, one has to take into account how the families will impact the relationship and whether or not the relationship can survive it - knowing that the relationship the 2 have must be strong to resist crumbling underneath that pressure. O'course that's considering family is an important/relatively healthy part of the person's life to begin with. Some people do not have a family to speak of. Also, if children are in the minds and hearts of the couple, for sure there are several things to consider there, as well.

I'll be honest though. I'm a bit of a romantic. I know that if I came to my parents one day with my beau and said "Hey.. this is _____. We're getting married!" and he happens to be of a completely different nationality than ours, my parents might be like "Whoa." But at the same time, I know that if he is someone I am choosing to marry, he has all of the wonderful characteristics of the man they had in mind for me too - just perhaps not in the same exact visualized "packaging." So while it may be a shock, it won't be something detrimental to our relationship. At least, I don't envision it that way. I don't see myself ever terminating a relationship because my family just didn't like the guy. That's never happened. Because if I don't like him, my parents don't and vice versa. So, the relationship would end because the guy wasn't the right fit for me, not because my parents didn't approve.

What are peoples opinions on interracial dating? I am white female, and many of my relationships have been with black men. I have had soo many comments about how it isn't right, and people should stick to their own race otherwise it will die out.

So what is your opinion?

I am hoping to start a relationship with a guy but people's comments upset me sometimes. Why is it wrong?

You might be pretty young, I don't know. But, as you get older you stop really putting too much concern into what other people think of your relationships. Stupid comments deserve none of your thought life. Just leave them be and let them wash over you - especially if they're just racist and thus, ignorant. OR, confront them and correct the person by telling them the truth about that person. If you really care what your friends or family says about your significant other, then educate them on who he is or better yet, let them spend time with the two of you. Let them see for themselves what a blessing he is in your life. If that doesn't shut them up, nothing will and so, leave their thoughts to them. It has nothing to do with you and isn't your problem. It's theirs. If this man or any other man makes you happy and is exactly what you're looking for, hold on and cherish him. If he makes you happy, he makes you HAPPY. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums