Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Look at this for a while.

pppas0300.jpg

Was reading Matthew 5 on Bible Hub. They have topical illustrations representing historical / modern Christian theology.
This picture showed up.

I'm interested in which if any of these interpretations match your interpretations. What is the picture saying? How do we read the picture?

Two different readings of the picture (theological and political) suggested themselves to me.

The theological reading says that (from Christianity's perspective) The Law is a bad thing, a yoke, and that the destruction / nullification of The Law is a desirable thing, much as expressed in Bunyan's famous and influential Protestant text Pilgrim's Progress (incidentally this is one of the most vicious anti-Torah texts ever written; Moses is literally the villain of the story.) Matthew 5 doesn't seem to be the typical chapter to go to, if one wanted to prove the Torah was nullified, especially since it occurs prior to the crucifixion, but then again anti-nomianism doesn't really make sense, and antinomians are able to extrapolate their doctrines from verses that have nothing to do with the law being abrogated.

The political reading also seems possible, however. It could be that the double tablet marked "The Law" is not a symbol of the Torah at large. Rather, it could be making a point about how some people in the USA set up signs or other markers listing the ten commandments, (particularly in front of courthouses where few if any of the commandments are actually enforced,) and that the iconoclastic or secular society is trying to tear down / remove these symbolic markers.

The first interpretation to suggest itself to me was the theological one, now I lean more toward the political one. But it is still inconclusive.

Here's why I am unsure about the political reading:

If the man smashing the double tablet was portrayed in a clearly villainous way I think there would be no doubt that the second reading is the correct one. But the style of the image reminds me of art from the 40's and 50's, and the man in blue jeans wielding a hammer honestly seems like it was excised from some kind of "working man" motif used in a political poster.

He looks like he is supposed to be a masculine ideal or working man hero. He is muscular, his hair is neat, his clothes are clean, basically he doesn't appear to be a symbolic representation of the "evil secular society." But maybe he is?

I can easily imagine the double tablet replaced with say the Berlin Wall and a slogan like "Freedom smashes tyranny" superimposed on the image. My point is that the viewer naturally thinks he is supposed to root for, be on the side of, the guy with the hammer. The very pose of the figure causes the viewer to naturally 'partake' in the movement of the character, to visualize the hammer hitting its target.

Honestly, this is a tour de force of ambiguity. The construction of the figures and the symbol-language naturally tells us that either The Law is bad and deserves smashing, or the guy smashing it is bad. Theologically, from a Christian perspective, the smashing (voiding) of The Law is desirable and a pre-requisite for salvation, so that reading of the picture makes sense, but amazingly, the picture can also be read in almost the opposite way as well, due to the symbolic ambiguity of the hammerer.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It looks like his only intention is to remove the 4th commandment, the 7th day Sabbath. That would be in line with many Christians whom also do not believe we are commanded to rest on the 7th day Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It looks like his only intention is to remove the 4th commandment, the 7th day Sabbath. That would be in line with many Christians whom also do not believe we are commanded to rest on the 7th day Sabbath.
Interesting interpretation. I did consider that he had smashed the IVth commandment, but read that as incidental, and that his work in smashing the tablet was not yet through, given the pose he is in: ready to swing again. Or at least I wouldn't raise a hammer like that unless I planned to swing again. But I could be misinterpreting and you could well be right.

It is quite jarring to see Christian art (and this might be an example of that) where we see Christians celebrating the (at least partial) destruction of The Law - and then complain about secular society removing their ten commandments monuments from the public areas.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd say he needs to swing the hammer underhand instead of over hand, he'd have more control in where he landed his blows. :)

Yeah and he should be right handed not left :)

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting interpretation. I did consider that he had smashed the IVth commandment, but read that as incidental, and that his work in smashing the tablet was not yet through, given the pose he is in: ready to swing again. Or at least I wouldn't raise a hammer like that unless I planned to swing again. But I could be misinterpreting and you could well be right.

It's that one many Christians (myself included) believe was fulfilled in Christ and was ceremonial in nature while the others are moral laws that are still in effect as part of the "law of Christ".

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At first, I agreed with ewq that he was removing the Sabbath command, but then I noticed the link on the bottom of the picture. The link is to goodsalt.com. The description of the image at that site reads, "Man "breaking" the ten commandments". However, the picture appears somewhat differently on that site.
breaking-the-ten-commandments-GoodSalt-pppas0300.jpg

I'm not sure why it quotes Ex 20:15 since that is not the commandment he is breaking. Either the artist doesn't know the commandments or the artist wants us to believe that breaking any of the ten constitutes stealing. I suspect the former.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upon further examination, the picture is by "Pacific Press" which is a Seventh Day Adventist publishing company. They no doubt intended to portray the Christian belief that the Sabbath is abolished, but that doesn't address why Ex 20:15 is written over the picture. Perhaps it was a mistake by the webmaster?

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Upon further examination, the picture is by "Pacific Press" which is a Seventh Day Adventist publishing company. They no doubt intended to portray the Christian belief that the Sabbath is abolished, but that doesn't address why Ex 20:15 is written over the picture. Perhaps it was a mistake by the webmaster?

No that just means they don't want people using the picture for non-fair use purposes.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No that just means they don't want people using the picture for non-fair use purposes.
I understand about non-fair use, but if that is all they wanted they could have just had the URL written over the picture. Why add Ex 20:15?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It's that one many Christians (myself included) believe was fulfilled in Christ and was ceremonial in nature while the others are moral laws that are still in effect as part of the "law of Christ".

If I tried to smash one of their monuments / signs with the ten commandments on them, I don't think the Christians would care that I was only smashing part of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Can you define what you mean by "law of Christ"?
And after that can you define "love"?

And after that can you tell if the man in the image file fits your definitions of the "law of Christ" and "love"? And as pertaining to "love", and the "law of Christ", is the man in the image file expressing love for himself or love for the Father and His Word? Nah, scratch that last one because we all know the answer already. :)

Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can you define what you mean by "law of Christ"?
And after that can you define "love"?

I won't define love but I will quote scripture regarding the law of Christ:

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

What this entails is to vast too get into here but it involves command and laws Christ taught and the new covenant itself.

And after that can you tell if the man in the image file fits your definitions of the "law of Christ" and "love"?

Yes.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I won't define love but I will quote scripture regarding the law of Christ:

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

What this entails is to vast too get into here but it involves command and laws Christ taught and the new covenant itself.

Yes.

Perhaps we might allow the scripture to define what it means to truly love the Father, eh?

Isaiah 56:1-7 KJV
1 Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0