Internet games - World of Warcraft &Tibia

I

iceflower

Hi, my son has a non-Christian dad who i am separated from and who he stays mostly with since i got ill. He's fourteen going on twenty and likes to play games on the internet as much as possible.
Does anyone else know about these games? I'm concerned about their influence. I can't stop him but i really feel i should be taking more of an active stance to encourage other interests but i don't know how. My influence seems to be diminishing.

faith177

growing
Aug 18, 2003
BC
Visit site
✟382,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
you could google them and something would prob come up explaining them. My son also loves pc and video games and plays them constantly, you have to get creative if you want him to take some time off. I got some rackets and tennis balls, my son and I go and play wall ball he loves it. Some days I make him go to the lake with me. Try and find stuff you can do together that he would enjoy. Its a struggle sometimes to get him to go out, but I just keep pushing come on lets go I want to spend time with you stuff like that. sometimes I threaten to sell the video games if he doesnt do something else. Today he wanted me to buy him something so I said ok if you take three days off the game, he agreed.

Upvote 0

seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't play Tibia, but I do play World of Warcraft and it's a pretty fun game. Like anything, it can be addicting, and it does have witchcraft/wizardry in it if you're concerned about that. It's not anymore "violent" than most other video games, though.

Why not sit down with your son and ask him about his games? That will definitely help keep the lines of communication open. I mean asking him practical things like, "so tell me about your guild," or "okay, I was reading online about WoW and I'm a little confused about the different weapons that a rogue can use." You know, things like that. That will show him that you've taken a true, active interest in his game and he'll be more apt to talk about it with you :)

Upvote 0

Imperiuz

Liberty will prevail
May 22, 2007
Stockholm
✟21,093.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
(I think I can post in this subject even if I am fourteen)

Well I don't se the problem with wichcraft in games realy. Just because your son or daughter is an evil human paladin who is slaughtering unpaid workers for the corrupt regime in Stormwind or the classical cruel Undead warlock who does not care about the idealistic orcish valutes of new Warchief Thrall and help the Apothecaries to make a new plauge, it doesn't mean that he or she is corrupt or sadistic in reality, does it?

World of Warcraft has helped by English a lot (Roleplaying server). Only bad thing with it is addiction, I'm afraid. I told myself too not paly more than three and an half hours a day and it works well. Ironlicaly I'm accualy named my CF user after terrible overzelaous fanatics who I normaly enjoy killing. :)

The guild example is fine. To know ones buddies online is important. If you are afraid of sexual thigs, don't worry. Just send an email, they check and ban the paedophile permanently. :)

Upvote 0

BeanMak

Veteran
Feb 7, 2002
Suburb of Chicago
Visit site
✟2,472.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have played WOW for 2 years. It has been a LOT of fun (I am kind of bored with it now since the upgrade) I have met a lot of nice people on the game and I played a mage- the "spells" are really a non issue for me. I know the difference between real life and fantasy games. (Plus I have played games like these since I was in my 20's) It was a great way for my son and me to play have a common interest. If you inforce that real life comes first and that chores and homework comes first, and going outside is as important as spending time online you should do fine.

Upvote 0
I

iceflower

Thanks for posting about this - soon a woman at church is coming back from her holiday and it may be possible for her older son to spend some time with my son and perhaps 'mentor' him and encourage other interests.

Also i've just been reading a fantastic book - The Five Love Languages for Teenagers by Gary Chapman - which i really recommend - which is helping me by focussing on how to love him, rather than focussing on what i perceive to be 'negative'.

Although i appreciate what you've said about the difference between fantasy and reality i'm concerned that certain types of play can lead to unGodly thoughts.

Thanks for your replies,

God bless x

Upvote 0
I

iceflower

What kind of ungodly thoughts?

Thinking that killing is okay, thinking that rebellion is okay, thinking that dabbling in the occult isn't as serious as it is - getting hardened to these things or not as sensitive to issues that God wants us to be sensitive too.

I guess while you're playing on the pc i don't see how you're learning skills like you might be if you if you were doing practical things, but that's another issue.

Upvote 0

Cassie028

Jul 27, 2007
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Both Tibia and WoW are very addictive games, but they do nothing in terms of desensitizing children. I have a 16 yo son who plays those games all the time and although he finds that type of fantasy RPG interesting, his faith and morals remain unshaken. He likes to raise his levels and get better EQ and there's nothing wrong with striving to do better. Furthermore, he's developed an interest in writing about it and his imagination and creativity has expanded. There's nothing wrong with the games unless your son becomes addicted.

Upvote 0
I

iceflower

Both Tibia and WoW are very addictive games, but they do nothing in terms of desensitizing children. I have a 16 yo son who plays those games all the time and although he finds that type of fantasy RPG interesting, his faith and morals remain unshaken. He likes to raise his levels and get better EQ and there's nothing wrong with striving to do better. Furthermore, he's developed an interest in writing about it and his imagination and creativity has expanded. There's nothing wrong with the games unless your son becomes addicted.
Thanks Cassie - i guess that's the problem - he is pretty addicted playing as many waking hours as he can. He takes a break to watch tv, or read if we say, or for meals and of course for school, but then he's back on again. Once he starts, he wants to play for a minimum of a couple of hours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moms4Christ

Keeper of the Jewelry Bench
Sep 23, 2004
Hotter than you know what South
Visit site
✟92,504.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My 16 yr old son was heavily into the WoW up until this past spring when he said he was bored with it. I was also worried but it hasn't changed his faith, morals, etc at all.

He is homeschooled and is currently enrolled in dual credit courses at the local community college. He was pretty addicted to the online pc games and all but I would prefer he be at home than out with a crowd of teenagers I might not approve of.

Rarely does he want to go anywhere but he is a straight A student and has already made plans for his college courses in the Spring semester.

It used to worry me quite a bit until one day I realized that if he's a good, obedient albeit sometimes lazy teenager and I haven't had any problems from him then it wasn't a big deal.

Just put him in God's hands and trust that he will have good judgment. After all, you raised a good, wise young man. Right?

Upvote 0

darnok

Sep 7, 2007
✟284.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't see what's wrong with it. So he's playing an online RPG. It's only good for him in the sense that it's entertainment. Don't be fooled, just because it's online doesn't mean that he's being social. Take it from me, the only game I've played that has good social interactions is Garry's mod for Half-Life 2.

Upvote 0

sxiz

Oct 19, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In addition to providing a source of usually harmless entertainment, and by usually harmless I mean only someone with serious mental problems would be influenced enough by it to kill someone anyways, WoW is an amazing math and strategy game. It develops logical, mathematical, and memorization skills. Addiction can pose a problem though, if it gets to be too much (ie he can't wake up in the morning because of spedning all night playing) then simply refuse to pay for it. If you talk to your ex husband, try to mention that you're worried about it being addicting and therefore potentially harmful to his health if he doesn't get enough sleep instead of ranting about the witchcraft because honestly, that is the best way to approach it with non-Christians.

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me put it this way. I am a former pastor, current seminary student and future missionary ... no I'm not perfect, far from it, but I say that just to say that I am spiritually mature.

I have played World of Warcraft, and other similar games for years. You do have to be careful with the fact that they can be incredibly addicting if not monitored carefully, and can distract from other more important things - homework, church, real life friends.

But there is nothing inherantly bad about them, I continue to play them. Just take a measure of caution and monitor/regulate the ammount of time that can be spent playing them. As with so many other things in life, in moderation there is nothing wrong with it, it is when it is taken to an extreme or over-indulged that it becomes an issue.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I personally play an MMORPG called "FLYFF"

Don't let them play it for more than 2-3 hrs at a time, because it can be very addicting.
If they are older, like 13+ and it is the summer, let them play maybe 3-4 hrs at a time but make the take and hour break, ect, but no don't let them play 12 hrs straight x-x;

There isn't any problem with any specific game. I personally play Pokémon TCG and Magic The Gathering, which back in 99-01 I got annoyed by a lot of fanatics that it was "EVIL" of course it's not that way anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
World of Warcraft is what I call a "hack and slash" games. Players start off with some little persona they create (a dwarf, human, elf, etc.), and the character is given "quests" to fulfill. (Kill 5 wolves, get a new cape).

I have played it, and it does not teach Witchcraft, though some of the charcter do supposedly use magic it is not the, "You stand here and say these words and call on the forces of evil" kind of thing. It is "push this button and a ball of fire explodes on the enemy target" kind of thing.

It is actually heavily moderated, and any inappropriate talk is usually squelched by the moderaters instantly.

Negatives: It is addictive. Some colleges ban it because students become so addicted to the game.
It can be very expensive.

Any time a young person enters a chat room format there is a chance of "becoming friends" with people that look safe and aren't, so it should be moderated from a parent perspective as well.

If your child is an older teen, I would consider it safe, and your willingness to show an interest in the game can help you build a better bond with him. (Do a google for WoW and you'll see all kinds of chat forums and things).

If your child is very young, I'd watch them more often, if only to confirm they aren't neglecting other things. The game is pretty much built around the idea that the more you work the higher a level you get, and going from 1 to 80 takes a lot of time, which could result in a child doing nothing but play the game.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it this way. I am a former pastor, current seminary student and future missionary ... no I'm not perfect, far from it, but I say that just to say that I am spiritually mature.

I have played World of Warcraft, and other similar games for years. You do have to be careful with the fact that they can be incredibly addicting if not monitored carefully, and can distract from other more important things - homework, church, real life friends.

But there is nothing inherantly bad about them, I continue to play them. Just take a measure of caution and monitor/regulate the ammount of time that can be spent playing them. As with so many other things in life, in moderation there is nothing wrong with it, it is when it is taken to an extreme or over-indulged that it becomes an issue.

Another WoW player here as well. I second what BereanTodd says.

The key to playing online games (as well as just about everything in life) is moderation.

Upvote 0

Finn88

Sep 30, 2006
✟15,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi! I'm thinking those who have suggested talking to you son about the games, and showing an intrest in his intersts is probably a good idea, but be awware that WOW is THE most addictive game on the market and can have very REAL effects on the player. I have trouble with my 17 year old brother who is a gaming addict, the effects emotionally and phsycologically are similar to alcoholism or drug addiction. I dont want to scare you, Im sure it is probably possible to enjoy the game without becoming addicted, the same as it is possible to enjoy alcoholl without having a problem, but i would suggest trying to moniter how much he plays, either through co-operation with dad, or just chatting about it with him :)

Upvote 0