international marriage: how to understand all

happyhippoman

May 13, 2015
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I met a Christian girl from another European country last year, and in January I proposed her and she agreed.
Then later I learnt about some temporary money problems and realized that I cannot be 100% sure it will be possible to have money for all the wedding celebrations and pay the sudden expenses and live and travel comfortably all same time with such a tight schedule we had.

But then I got an idea, because she is from a lower income country, where all is 2-10 times cheaper, maybe if we would live there first year instead of her moving to my country immediately, we could do all we wished very comfortably and easily pay all and even have good opportunities for my business to find cheaper suppliers in her country and enjoy this in the future too. Also she has always lived with parents and said it is for her hard to be away from them, so I thought it is perfect plan to not make such a big leap for her and get used to being away from family but still have possibility to meet them as often as she will feel necessary, and learn to live as a married couple and also learn the language of my country with me and I would learn her language in her country and this would make us also closer to not have only a foreign language for both as the only way of communication.

But some weeks after this, she told me that we are not ready for marriage, and she doesn't care about money problems but for her too hard that plans changed and she would not move to my country. And wrote that I shouldn't wait all life if she will be ready, and she already planned if we don't marry she will move to Germany or USA to have higher quality life. And said sorry, people have to think what is best for them.

it was a huge shock for me after all promises. And we talked and I tried my best to explain all my intentions and she changed her mind and we got married officially in March in the civil registry.

But now when I arrived here, after I got all finished in my native country and had sold and given away all my belongings, she has been distant. Even told one day that she has thought it was a mistake to get married and has been thinking about this last 2 months. And that she doesn't feel happy about the church wedding and celebration which is scheduled to be within a month.

I still have never visited her home, I don't even know where she lives. I have told how strange it is, and since winter she has told that maybe next time I will be invited, but now I am already living here but still it is postponed, later I will be invited.

We are legally married and all but I cannot touch her and meet only in weekends in daytime. I told I was planning to go to take a couple of language lessons to feel more comfortable here, but she asked why I should learn her language, it is not necessary, maybe later after church wedding but not now, it's not necessary.. all this very strange to me, why a woman doesn't want her husband to learn her language if we are not even living together and I just have time now here..I tried to ask for some explanation for this and she finally just said that ok I can decide myself.

also I cannot stay here without a temporary residency permit. And about this she said too that she thinks I should get it only after church wedding and honeymoon trip, not before. And here necessary to register officially that I live in some address and it is a tricky thing to do here, and normally spouses register to their homes, but first she told that better that I will do it myself all and pay hundreds of dollars to someone offering this service and not with her help, even if it is for free to register to their address.

Later said that her family agreed to register me AFTER the honeymoon..I wonder why all has to happen after that, when I arrived a month early to get nicely prepared all and we have these documents, well she has, marriage certificate she has not given me, and according to law I should register marriage in my country too but she says later..she would have gotten a free visa to our honeymoon country as my spouse, but rather prepared all documents and payment than let me register our marriage in EU.

So, I find this very hard, I have tried since meeting her, to make ALL that I can, for her and our best. I am older and more experienced than her and try to understand somethings from her being natural since always living with parents, but really, I have promised her to love always when I proposed, I have agreed in the official registration place to take her my wife, and I left all and jumped here because of her and to make best options for our family. But it is a little bit hard situation when,depending on her mood, she calls me her husband and other times says we are not really married, it is only a paper. We are both Christians, evangelical protestant church and met priest with her family to talk about our engagement, visited church and people there prayed for us and got this official marriage and still I feel that I am being kept on my toes all the time. She just says she understands that I am a very kind man but... seems she doesn't love me anymore! And for me hard to feel romantic feelings too, when she behaves so distant, and has behaved so many times here now, something I could not imagine doing to her if she had arrived my country, I mean, we didn't meet almost for 2 months, and now she is not interested to even meet except when she has a holiday from work, feels tired. And we had our monthly anniversary of marriage and it was like a peck on the cheek when meeting and when I walked her to her station to go home in the evening a peck on the cheek, that's how close I feel with my wife.
So I don't know, what to think about this all and MAIN THING, how to make things better! It doesn't feel good now for either of us I think!

Architeuthus

Squid
Apr 29, 2015
✟16,006.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
But some weeks after this, she told me that we are not ready for marriage, and she doesn't care about money problems but for her too hard that plans changed and she would not move to my country.

Red flag right there. It sounds like she was interested in your country, not you.

after I got all finished in my native country and had sold and given away all my belongings

Why did you do that? Are you not planning to return?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

happyhippoman

May 13, 2015
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Red flag right there. It sounds like she was interested in your country, not you.

Why did you do that? Are you not planning to return?

I did it because I arrived to this country where I am now, her native country and it really isn't practical to get anything transported here so I just had a flight little bit over a week ago with hand luggage and one bag. Anyway we had talked about staying here for a year or so and then move to my native country or another European country, whichever should we prefer at the moment then.

I just don't know what to do, what to feel, what yo think about all. Somedays i feel i am an idiot if I will continue this, I have to pay all and get very little in return for anything, for my tries to make her feel happier, to show her I'm ready to listen, for trying to understand her and my tries to help our feelings for each other to return.

We should now meet finally after her work week, and I had a feeling that finally can be more happy and romantic mood for us but for my sweet goodnight message with thoughts about our meeting tomorrow and all she again just bluntly replied good night! And I know from the past that she was so different and clearly before took care also of my feelings and I think my mind felt this since again I woke up now after not so many hours with my heart racing.

And my wife doesn't even consider herself married, and I on the other hand feel that I have given my word, got married in this official place with her and I don't know what to think. She said it is real after we are in church so we will have God blessings and I thought God is everywhere and we are to respect marriage we agreed in front of her family and friends and official body where marriages are formed in this country. So I feel that I cannot do anything, I am now married but my wife doesnt think she is my wife, and doesn't care so much of my feelings and told me it was a mistake to have registration of marriage so soon. I will have a birthday on Sunday and she asked what I'd like to do. I said about aqua park, where we had wonderful time in winter when it was all happiness for us. She looked not happy and thought for a moment and said that we won't have time for that, because she planned we go to a restaurant where I bought a dinner for her family and friends after marriage registration, and she thinks it is more comfortable that we go there eating with her parents. Again I felt quite amazed and not in a good way, even my birthday she tells what is best, for me to offer free dinner for her family and For sure she must understand it cannot be so comfortable to not have a common language.

Upvote 0

happyhippoman

May 13, 2015
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And I just feel I am neglected as a feeling person and relationship is not balanced. And It is strange she has such a close family, who own two houses and big car with leather seats and she said her dream since childhood has been "perfect wedding" but still it seems that her father isn't paying for the wedding celebration at all, only her relatives will come and all should be her way, or no wedding, but I should pay all.

My friend from this culture said it is at least normal that girl's father pays 50% and they should save money for wedding all her life. So I don't know, I like to give and I'm a generous person and have been blessed with an opportunity to be able to give but on principle level just feels all little bit wrong.

even if she doesn't seem to take responsibility for loving feeling and athmosphere for us, she does take care of other things. For example told me to buy cute similar t shirts for our honeymoon trip, asking to buy maybe more beautiful shoes for wedding, or maybe buy a new suit for wedding, all things like this very important to her that we should look perfect in wedding photos and how all should be, but about feeling inside don't seem so important to take care of. She did help a lot to get this apartment for us, of course I paid all but she called and found options. She ordered me water service so a company brings water to my door when necessary, bought me clothes, with my money, but anyway did, and I feel I should of course respect all this.and maybe she has just stress because of all this and wedding celebration so soon coming.

I have been told by my family and friends to postpone this church wedding, for us to get to know better, to not make a mistake. But then, I don't know because I feel I am already married and made this decision and have to accept it and try my best to make it work, so why postpone and just cause more stress for her having to cancel all and feel bad for calling her relatives about such news.

All I wished for was a relationship where I could feel safe, respected and loved so that I could freely give all my love and feel happy about it, not like now that I feel being just used as a provider and have to wonder each day what attitude she will have today

Upvote 0

happyhippoman

May 13, 2015
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And my hopes are in the wish that after church wedding she will accept what is and start to work herself too for our happiness, that now she is like a little girl in panic because her way of life should change soon and this all makes her frightened inside. She even said she knows it is not so much Christian thing to do to not trust that all is good but to worry all, but it is her character.

So I wish that after she will feel that she too is married and doesn't have other options to think in her mind, she will become the sweet girl I used to feel in her before our engagement.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you should sit down with your wife and discuss the marriage?
Find out if she wants to be married to you...don't pressure her or bring
up the fact you sold everything to be with her in her country etc.

I believe if you both are willing to work through this "awkward situation", it
could turn out better. You will need some help with this matter...are there people
there who can counsel both you?

It's my hope that both of you will...
Learn from this situation and refrain from making decisions that aren't well
thought out, diligently prayed over and discussed with mature Christians
who actually know you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architeuthus

Squid
Apr 29, 2015
✟16,006.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Imo, she is not into you

I agree.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the marriage will end either when (a) you run out of money, or (b) she has permanent residency in your country.

I have been told by my family and friends to postpone this church wedding, for us to get to know better, to not make a mistake.

Good advice.

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This does not bode well.
IMO she is using you and its best to cut your losses. Set her free. I'm sorry it has come this far but it does not sound like you equally yoked. You deserve better, and also, I don't know the marriage customs in your country but, if you from the same background it is easier about who pays for the costs of the wedding (usually, the brides' family).

it just sounds like..she wants a wedding and marriage and not you as a person. Maybe she is naive about what marriage entails.

How did you meet anyway? I just think its kind of strange, most international marriages do not work out, sad to say. It is easier and best to marry someone that has a similar culture and background to you in the same country or you both agree on where to live, and don't waver or go back on this. She sounds far too young. When you marry you meant to leave your parents and start a new life together.

Upvote 0

happyhippoman

May 13, 2015
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We talked more openly. She told her thoughts , she doesn't wish to have wedding, already in official registration she felt badly to sign papers and has worried since, and just wishes the wedding day would be soon over. And is feeling bad how she treats me, not satisfied with anything even though she knows I try my best and love her.

Then she explained reasons. That she had since young girl imagined her future, seen herself having a wedding in a foreign country and how after that day she starts to live in another country. Of course she wanted love too, and for this reason she was looking for a foreign man, and felt so happy when finally she found a foreign man who she liked. But after I suggested having wedding and starting life together in her city, all for good and well thought out reasons, but this was something that was not how she had seen things happening in her mind, as she said it was an image since childhood how things would happen. And this made her question, if I was the correct spouse for her, and started worrying more and more.

And another thing, we talked in beginning that better concentrate on moment and future and not past. And as we so little time had to spend with each other, somethings she did not understand.

For example, she told me that she cannot appreciate a character who doesn't finish what he starts. How she finished her university even though it wasn't interesting and profession useless, and I had stopped my studies. And really, I understood that yes, without additional information one could say things like this but the reality is so much different. I had some very special circumstances that caused my studies to end, and I've even been in national TV and got apologies in life show from top politician for things that were done to me, and I have really fought so hard to never give up in situations, so much that often people ask me who know all, how i can be so strong. And told her to just look back at our relations and ask herself, does it look like I am someone who gives up easily???

She understood and said it would have been OK if she knew this earlier but now has worried and thought of bad things for such a long time and behaved so badly and felt so bad and doesn't know how to fix the situation, to feel normal and good again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like she was more interested in leaving her country through the vehicle of marriage, not that she loves you and wants to be married to you in particular and have a long life together. To me, this isn't a marriage. I see this is an immigration tool. You need legal advice.

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian
I met a Christian girl from another European country last year, and in January I proposed her and she agreed.
Then later I learnt about some temporary money problems and realized that I cannot be 100% sure it will be possible to have money for all the wedding celebrations and pay the sudden expenses and live and travel comfortably all same time with such a tight schedule we had.

But then I got an idea, because she is from a lower income country, where all is 2-10 times cheaper, maybe if we would live there first year instead of her moving to my country immediately, we could do all we wished very comfortably and easily pay all and even have good opportunities for my business to find cheaper suppliers in her country and enjoy this in the future too. Also she has always lived with parents and said it is for her hard to be away from them, so I thought it is perfect plan to not make such a big leap for her and get used to being away from family but still have possibility to meet them as often as she will feel necessary, and learn to live as a married couple and also learn the language of my country with me and I would learn her language in her country and this would make us also closer to not have only a foreign language for both as the only way of communication.

But some weeks after this, she told me that we are not ready for marriage, and she doesn't care about money problems but for her too hard that plans changed and she would not move to my country. And wrote that I shouldn't wait all life if she will be ready, and she already planned if we don't marry she will move to Germany or USA to have higher quality life. And said sorry, people have to think what is best for them.

it was a huge shock for me after all promises. And we talked and I tried my best to explain all my intentions and she changed her mind and we got married officially in March in the civil registry.

But now when I arrived here, after I got all finished in my native country and had sold and given away all my belongings, she has been distant. Even told one day that she has thought it was a mistake to get married and has been thinking about this last 2 months. And that she doesn't feel happy about the church wedding and celebration which is scheduled to be within a month.

I still have never visited her home, I don't even know where she lives. I have told how strange it is, and since winter she has told that maybe next time I will be invited, but now I am already living here but still it is postponed, later I will be invited.

We are legally married and all but I cannot touch her and meet only in weekends in daytime. I told I was planning to go to take a couple of language lessons to feel more comfortable here, but she asked why I should learn her language, it is not necessary, maybe later after church wedding but not now, it's not necessary.. all this very strange to me, why a woman doesn't want her husband to learn her language if we are not even living together and I just have time now here..I tried to ask for some explanation for this and she finally just said that ok I can decide myself.

also I cannot stay here without a temporary residency permit. And about this she said too that she thinks I should get it only after church wedding and honeymoon trip, not before. And here necessary to register officially that I live in some address and it is a tricky thing to do here, and normally spouses register to their homes, but first she told that better that I will do it myself all and pay hundreds of dollars to someone offering this service and not with her help, even if it is for free to register to their address.

Later said that her family agreed to register me AFTER the honeymoon..I wonder why all has to happen after that, when I arrived a month early to get nicely prepared all and we have these documents, well she has, marriage certificate she has not given me, and according to law I should register marriage in my country too but she says later..she would have gotten a free visa to our honeymoon country as my spouse, but rather prepared all documents and payment than let me register our marriage in EU.

So, I find this very hard, I have tried since meeting her, to make ALL that I can, for her and our best. I am older and more experienced than her and try to understand somethings from her being natural since always living with parents, but really, I have promised her to love always when I proposed, I have agreed in the official registration place to take her my wife, and I left all and jumped here because of her and to make best options for our family. But it is a little bit hard situation when,depending on her mood, she calls me her husband and other times says we are not really married, it is only a paper. We are both Christians, evangelical protestant church and met priest with her family to talk about our engagement, visited church and people there prayed for us and got this official marriage and still I feel that I am being kept on my toes all the time. She just says she understands that I am a very kind man but... seems she doesn't love me anymore! And for me hard to feel romantic feelings too, when she behaves so distant, and has behaved so many times here now, something I could not imagine doing to her if she had arrived my country, I mean, we didn't meet almost for 2 months, and now she is not interested to even meet except when she has a holiday from work, feels tired. And we had our monthly anniversary of marriage and it was like a peck on the cheek when meeting and when I walked her to her station to go home in the evening a peck on the cheek, that's how close I feel with my wife.
So I don't know, what to think about this all and MAIN THING, how to make things better! It doesn't feel good now for either of us I think!

Brother, how quick can you pack and get outta there. She is interested in one thing, and that's a visa.
You need to bail on this one. She isn't your wife. You are the only one that thinks so. Don't register anything with her name on it.
Am I safe in saying that you meant this little flower of yours on the internet? I know I am.
You are being used, and there is nothing good that can come from it.; If you register her in your country. You will be paying spousal support for years.
Get out of there. Now!

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian
Well, it does seem that the OP has a legal marriage in her country; that is something that may need to be annulled.

Is it a legal marriage? I was under the understanding that he couldn't live with her til they are married.
This seems to be really confusing.
If an annulment is all that is holding him to this sham, then pay someone, and then get the Hell out of there.
She is after one thing, and it certainly isn't his charm or wit.
It is a visa, by the sounds of what was said, and once she gets that, what is to stop her from super sizing her fries. If you know what I mean.

Still curious to find out how they met. I would be willing to bet, it was online.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
BW, this is from the OP:
We are legally married and all but....

Why does it matter if she met him on the internet? I met my husband on discussion forums (we are in similar professions, and chatted online for more than a year before we decided to chat privately), and we are quite happily married.

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian
BW, this is from the OP:

Why does it matter if she met him on the internet? I met my husband on discussion forums (we are in similar professions, and chatted online for more than a year before we decided to chat privately), and we are quite happily married.

Who cares about you and your husband, this isn't about you

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
We talked more openly. She told her thoughts , she doesn't wish to have wedding, already in official registration she felt badly to sign papers and has worried since, and just wishes the wedding day would be soon over. And is feeling bad how she treats me, not satisfied with anything even though she knows I try my best and love her.
Then she explained reasons. That she had since young girl imagined her future, seen herself having a wedding in a foreign country and how after that day she starts to live in another country. Of course she wanted love too, and for this reason she was looking for a foreign man, and felt so happy when finally she found a foreign man who she liked. But after I suggested having wedding and starting life together in her city, all for good and well thought out reasons, but this was something that was not how she had seen things happening in her mind, as she said it was an image since childhood how things would happen. And this made her question, if I was the correct spouse for her, and started worrying more and more.
*In your first post you related that your wife said she didn't want to live in your country
and that
she didn't want to be away from her parents/family?
Now, your wife is saying something different...which shows how child-like she is, as you have observed this type behavior in your wife...so tread carefully.

And another thing, we talked in beginning that better concentrate on moment and future and not past. And as we so little time had to spend with each other, somethings she did not understand.

For example, she told me that she cannot appreciate a character who doesn't finish what he starts. How she finished her university even though it wasn't interesting and profession useless, and I had stopped my studies. And really, I understood that yes, without additional information one could say things like this but the reality is so much different. I had some very special circumstances that caused my studies to end, and I've even been in national TV and got apologies in life show from top politician for things that were done to me, and I have really fought so hard to never give up in situations, so much that often people ask me who know all, how i can be so strong. And told her to just look back at our relations and ask herself, does it look like I am someone who gives up easily???

She understood and said it would have been OK if she knew this earlier but now has worried and thought of bad things for such a long time and behaved so badly and felt so bad and doesn't know how to fix the situation, to feel normal and good again.

* Share this scripture with your wife:
Ephesians 4:32
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other,
just as in Christ God forgave you."

Talk about it and apply it in your lives as often as it is needed.

Upvote 0