Texas
✟7,621.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I met my husband and got married to him before I became a Christian again. He is an atheist and so was I. My question is, has anyone else dealt with this sort of religious conflict and what did you do to help your relationship? Also, if you have children, what have you agreed upon?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This book helped me a lot when I was unequally yoked:

Beloved Unbeliever: Loving Your Husband into the Faith

By: Jo Berry
ZONDERVAN / 1983 / PAPERBACK
It's the pattern in 1 Cor. 7, right? If already married, the believing spouse can be an agent of sanctification to the unbelieving spouse.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My question is, has anyone else dealt with this sort of religious conflict and what did you do to help your relationship? Also, if you have children, what have you agreed upon?
I am not religious, my wife is a liberal Christian, though really more of a deist. In our situation religion doesn't tend to come up as a conversation topic. She is not interested in attending religious services and we've come to the conclusion that spending time together on weekends is much more important to our relationship than engaging in vaguely relevant morality tales in some church, anyway.

We do spend a few hours discussing morality and current events every week. This is the closest things come to a church experience around here and it's fun. I learn more about her, she learns more about me, and we navigate the world together.

Also, if you have children, what have you agreed upon?

We do not have children but have agreed that she may take the kids to a church if she wants, but not to any fundamentalist churches (Assemblies of God, Charismatic, most Baptists, Mormon etc). They will be taught about any religions they ask about, in addition to the four or five we think they should be exposed to for historical and cultural purposes. They should be free to choose their religion when they are adults. Our children will not be indoctrinated.

I suspect that she'll take our kids to a Unitarian Church something like once a month for a few months and then grow tired of it. I look forward to using weekends to take family overnight trips to the Southwest or Sierras. Much less boring than church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0