United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While I think it is interesting, I don't see why the article would go so far as to refer to a conjunction of two planets as a single "star" and draw a connection to the star of Bethlehem.
Actually you can run a program and see the alignments around certain dates. It's Really neat stuff. You can look at the sky and see what it was like.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While I think it is interesting, I don't see why the article would go so far as to refer to a conjunction of two planets as a single "star" and draw a connection to the star of Bethlehem.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Actually you can run a program and see the alignments around certain dates. It's Really neat stuff. You can look at the sky and see what it was like.

Just to clarify, I was questioning whether a conjunction should be called a "star". Is this normal ? Maybe it is, but I just haven't heard the word star used to mean a visual conjunction of two planets before.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify, I was questioning whether a conjunction should be called a "star". Is this normal ? Maybe it is, but I just haven't heard the word star used to mean a visual conjunction of two planets before.
I think if we are speaking of biblical language they didn't call planets, planets. In the Torah God refers to them as 'heavenly bodies'

the sun, moon, or any other heavenly bodies which I have not permitted you to worship.

Also our sun is a star but is given a separate name there.

What ever it was back then it had to be moving considerably and seen for quite some time, not a day or two.

After hearing the king, they went their way; and the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was.

I would think a comet would be more likely, one that has a big orbit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I found this part interesting. Sky & Telescope suggests that a similar rare conjunction of Venus and Jupiter may have been what's been called the "Star of Bethlehem" in 3-2 BC.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astr...s/venus-and-jupiter-a-dazzling-duo-062520154/

The Greek word that is translated “star” in the text is the word aster, which is the normal word for a star or a celestial body. The word is used 24 times in the New Testament, and most of the time it refers to a celestial body. It can be used to denote angels, as in Revelation 12:4, where it is used to describe the fallen angels who followed Satan’s rebellion. However, aster is used in the sense of "a celestial body" in Matthew 2.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/star-of-Bethlehem.html#ixzz3eUPqfdvf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I think if we are speaking of biblical language they didn't call planets, planets. In the Torah God refers to them as 'heavenly bodies'

the sun, moon, or any other heavenly bodies which I have not permitted you to worship.

Also our sun is a star but is given a separate name there.

What ever it was back then it had to be moving considerably and seen for quite some time, not a day or two.

After hearing the king, they went their way; and the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was.

I would think a comet would be more likely, one that has a big orbit.

I am referring to the wording in the article in the OP, not to a Biblical verse. What you say may apply to the Bible, but I was curious as to whether this was a normative definition among contemporary Astronomers.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I found this part interesting. Sky & Telescope suggests that a similar rare conjunction of Venus and Jupiter may have been what's been called the "Star of Bethlehem" in 3-2 BC.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astr...s/venus-and-jupiter-a-dazzling-duo-062520154/

The Greek word that is translated “star” in the text is the word aster, which is the normal word for a star or a celestial body. The word is used 24 times in the New Testament, and most of the time it refers to a celestial body. It can be used to denote angels, as in Revelation 12:4, where it is used to describe the fallen angels who followed Satan’s rebellion. However, aster is used in the sense of "a celestial body" in Matthew 2.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/star-of-Bethlehem.html#ixzz3eUPqfdvf

Interestingly Gk. Aster sounds like Heb. Ester, from the triconsonantal root STR meaning "to hide".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am referring to the wording in the article in the OP, not to a Biblical verse. What you say may apply to the Bible, but I was curious as to whether this was a normative definition among contemporary Astronomers.
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

Upvote 0